997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

x-pipe vs cross pipes - what's louder?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:03 PM
zenzi is an unknown quantity at this point
x-pipe vs cross pipes - what's louder?

This is a debate on quite a few threads here and there but reviving it here so i can make a decision on what i want to do on my PSE equipped 11' C4S (it is way too quiet).
So i have a choice between the Cargraphic x pipe, Fabspeed x pipe or Sharkwerks/AWE cross pipes. Cargraphic says they offer two versions - a closed pipe one where the gases do not merge and a open pipe one wherein they do merge.

Any suggestions from anyone who is or has run these parts?

Old 02-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Astur will become famous soon enough
Personally, I don't think that whatever option you choose one would be discernibly louder than another.

As I see it you basically have two options:
  1. Find others in your area that have PSE and one of the pipes that you mentioned so that you can judge it for yourself. (This site and Rennlist may be able to help with that.)
  2. Pick one, buy it, install it and most importantly... enjoy it!
Engine wise, I have stock 2009 C2 that I installed BB by-pass pipes and did a 2" GUNDO hack on the mufflers. Best decision I ever and absolutely love it!

Old 02-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Astur is correct in a sense that it neither is "louder" than the other, but an X-Pipe does change the tone and the performance of your Porsche.

Fabspeed has tried multiple systems and we still do to this day to always keep improving on our products. In our trials we found we made the most power and best overall tone using an X-Pipe. An X-Pipe is designed to increase exhaust scavenging and pull the exhaust out of the engine. It also mixes the exhaust gases getting rid of any tin sound in the exhaust note. We have also proven that we make more power with our x-pipe design over our previous crossover pipes.

I linked this simple explanation below to give you an visual on what is actually happening when using an X-Pipe.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to assist.

Thank you.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Astur is correct in a sense that it neither is "louder" than the other, but an X-Pipe does change the tone and the performance of your Porsche.

Fabspeed has tried multiple systems and we still do to this day to always keep improving on our products. In our trials we found we made the most power and best overall tone using an X-Pipe. An X-Pipe is designed to increase exhaust scavenging and pull the exhaust out of the engine. It also mixes the exhaust gases getting rid of any tin sound in the exhaust note. We have also proven that we make more power with our x-pipe design over our previous crossover pipes.

I linked this simple explanation below to give you an visual on what is actually happening when using an X-Pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjo9MWSpuZA

Please let me know if you have any questions, I am more than happy to assist.

Thank you.
Ok. Thanks, that's very informative. Out of curiosity, what happens when you do not merge the gases from left to right in this kind of an x-pipe setup? does that affect performance and sound?

Old 02-14-2017, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zenzi
Ok. Thanks, that's very informative. Out of curiosity, what happens when you do not merge the gases from left to right in this kind of an x-pipe setup? does that affect performance and sound?
Of course, happy to help out!

I am assuming you're referring to just a traditional crossover pipe, similar to the factory set up? If so, it's not going to HURT the performance per say or the sound for that matter over stock. There is just more to be gained with an X-Pipe in both categories. When speeding up the exhaust gasses and getting them out the the car quicker that is where the performance comes into the play and where you see your gains. In the sound category, when you mix both exhaust banks together in the X it really smooths the tone out and gives you a much more desirable sports car sound.

Hope that cleared up any questions you have! Feel free to ask anything you need I would be more than happy to assist!

Old 02-23-2017, 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Of course, happy to help out!

I am assuming you're referring to just a traditional crossover pipe, similar to the factory set up? If so, it's not going to HURT the performance per say or the sound for that matter over stock. There is just more to be gained with an X-Pipe in both categories. When speeding up the exhaust gasses and getting them out the the car quicker that is where the performance comes into the play and where you see your gains. In the sound category, when you mix both exhaust banks together in the X it really smooths the tone out and gives you a much more desirable sports car sound.

Hope that cleared up any questions you have! Feel free to ask anything you need I would be more than happy to assist!
no no i meant a x-pipe in which the gases do not merge and not crossovers (like AWE or Sharky)

Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Former Vendor
I am not too familiar with other manufactures systems BUT I will say if they do not merge you do not have the exhaust scavenging effect pulling the exhaust out of the system. You'll also be leaving some power on the table by not having an X-Pipe.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist with!

Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM
kruzn911 is an unknown quantity at this point
definitely cant go wrong with the Fabspeed X-pipes. My favorite mod I had on my 997

I put mine up for sale too! Selling my car due to an addition to my family. Less than 1k miles on it!

Old 02-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kruzn911
definitely cant go wrong with the Fabspeed X-pipes. My favorite mod I had on my 997

I put mine up for sale too! Selling my car due to an addition to my family. Less than 1k miles on it!
Thanks for the support! Sorry to hear you're moving on from the 997 but congrats on the new addition!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:58 PM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
check out FVD Brombacher, they have a special exhaust kit for PSE, mine include headers and 200 cell cats, love it. Actually the car picture on their website is mine.

I love the sound totally intoxicating and seemed the car gained a good amount of acceleration with the kit.

Quality is exceptional. No CEL for 2.5 yrs now.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Storch is on a distinguished road
I forgot what I did first but needed both the gundo hacked mufflers and the bB cross over pipes to get the tone perfect

Really hear the difference when on the gas but hardly notice anything when at a steady cruise like at freeway speed

Old 03-05-2017, 05:29 AM
JCITAtom993 is on a distinguished road
Ok, I have an '11 C4S Targa with the Sharkwerks X-pipe, and it is 200% fabulous. As per dyno from S-W, 12 more HP and 25lbs weight loss in the rear. BEST single decision I have made, besides buying this car. Love it! Only loud when you initially crank it up, and then, once over about 4K RPM......outstanding sound, and under 1K for everything.....S-W folks are great as well!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.