997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Newbie - PPI Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:48 AM
mellowalex is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie - PPI Question

I'm have a deposit on an 06 997S.
The car is at a small Ford Dealer in a small town, and The closest Porsche Dealer is 1. 5 hours away from the car, and they don't want to take it that far to do a PPI, which I understand. (car only has 25k miles on it)..

Can a non Porsche Dealer do a PPI and get the Over Rev report?

What software do they need to run this?

Basically, what questions do I need to ask them in order to see if they can look up the Over Revs. The car looks like it's in mint condition, so they think I'm crazy !

Old 06-03-2017, 09:17 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
How did a 911 Porsche end up in a Ford dealership in a small town...maybe the owner traded-in for a Focus

IMO I doubt the facility has sufficient equipment and knowledge to perform a complete diagnostic test on a Porsche.

Asked for over-rev report at a Ford dealership can be a challenge.

any warranty on the car?

Old 06-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Redhot2474 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ppi

You don't need to take it to a Porsche dealership, google Porsche mechanics in your area....? I would imagine there is someone around. Or... If you like the car, give them a deposit and you drive the car to Porsche , tell them assuming no problems you will take the car 🚗....Also nice because it gives you some real driving time behind the wheel. Another route, check out your state law - some states have a 3 day window in which you can legally cancel the contract , if you do - buy it and any problems return it - just let them know ahead of time that's your intention, maybe even have them acknowledge it in contract ....good luck!

Last edited by Redhot2474; 06-03-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mellowalex
I'm have a deposit on an 06 997S.
The car is at a small Ford Dealer in a small town, and The closest Porsche Dealer is 1. 5 hours away from the car, and they don't want to take it that far to do a PPI, which I understand. (car only has 25k miles on it)..

Can a non Porsche Dealer do a PPI and get the Over Rev report?

What software do they need to run this?

Basically, what questions do I need to ask them in order to see if they can look up the Over Revs. The car looks like it's in mint condition, so they think I'm crazy !
First everything a car salesman tells you is intended to get you to buy the car ASAP and to pay as much for it as possible.

Calling you crazy or even suggesting it because you want to properly check out a used car is part of that.

The car at a small town Ford dealer is a bit of a red flag to me.

Anyhow, for a 997 I think a shop would need a PIWIS Porsche diagnostic computer and because of the expense of this system you will probably need either a dealer or a very popular Porsche indy shop which will probably be located in a major metro area.

Thus you are not likely to find a place to perform a PPI and read out the engine run time hours and overrev counters/timestamps any closer than where the nearest dealer is located.

Can you drive the car? If so have the seller give you a 15 mile test ride then afterwards change seats and you drive the car over the same 15 mile route. If at the end of this if the engine checks out ok, runs ok, no noises, the CEL remains dark, the odds are the engine is not suffering from any overrevs, if it received any. Not every Porsche engine gets the you know what rev'd out of it.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:29 PM
mellowalex is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for the replys. I am trying to get them to take it to Porsche, if not, there is a local mechanic that does some work on Porsches, and he only charges $60. If they decide to not go to porsche, ill do the cheap PPI and then go there and drive it for 15/15 miles.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:33 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
All the PORSCHE Indy needs is a Durametric to pull the DME report and check for any other logged or pending error codes. Is there possibly an enthusiast local to you who could check it out with you

If the Indy doesn't have a Durametric, what's your plan for servicing the car in the future?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.