997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Oil measurement level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 01:43 PM
S65-M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Oil measurement level

Sorry for the noob question. I am new to Porsche and not used to electronic oil measurement. I noticed after a long drive my oil measurement went at or below minimum level.

What does it mean when oil indicator flashes at or below minimum level? I didn't get any warning or anything to tell me to add oil so far

Old 07-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Jim f is on a distinguished road
If it is flashing always add a quart. If it is at the minimum line I add a quart but some don't do it until it flashes.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:14 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by S65-M3
Sorry for the noob question. I am new to Porsche and not used to electronic oil measurement. I noticed after a long drive my oil measurement went at or below minimum level.

What does it mean when oil indicator flashes at or below minimum level? I didn't get any warning or anything to tell me to add oil so far
Check Owner's Manual and follow directions for measurement. I think there is even a discussion of flashing light and what to do.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !

My recollection from the owners manual for my cars and I think this is consistent with the newer models is the oil level is too low.

You will not get a warning to add oil. It is the operator's reponsibility to check the oil level at suitable intervals and note when the level is low enough that oil needs to be added. You can elect to add oil when the level drops one bar below the max line or wait until the level is lower and add a full quart.

My advice is to avoid running the oil level lower than what it would take a quart to bring back to full again. You want some margin.

So, you need to add at least a quart of oil. Ideally you should use the same oil the engine was filled with -- probably Mobil 1 0w-40 but any approved oil is ok in a pinch. (All approved oils are miscible.)

Develop the habit of checking the oil level regularly.

I'm not familiar with the newer models and when the oil level can be checked.

With my 2002 Boxster I can check the oil with the engine cold or hot as long as the engine has been off a while. Cold is often after the car has sat overnight and thus I check it before I leave for the office in the morning.

(While the Boxster has a dipstick I never use it.)

Hot is when I've driven the car long enough the engine and oil is fully up to temperature and the engine has sat off long enough that when I return the oil count down timer starts at '5' seconds.

For my 2003 996 Turbo I can only check the oil hot and with engine idling. So I check the oil level *before* I put the car away at night or after say I have arrived at the office and am letting the engine idle the 2 minutes to give the turbos a chance to cool down.

I also check it when gas the car.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
My recollection from the owners manual for my cars and I think this is consistent with the newer models is the oil level is too low.

You will not get a warning to add oil. It is the operator's reponsibility to check the oil level at suitable intervals and note when the level is low enough that oil needs to be added. You can elect to add oil when the level drops one bar below the max line or wait until the level is lower and add a full quart.

My advice is to avoid running the oil level lower than what it would take a quart to bring back to full again. You want some margin.

So, you need to add at least a quart of oil. Ideally you should use the same oil the engine was filled with -- probably Mobil 1 0w-40 but any approved oil is ok in a pinch. (All approved oils are miscible.)

Develop the habit of checking the oil level regularly.

I'm not familiar with the newer models and when the oil level can be checked.

With my 2002 Boxster I can check the oil with the engine cold or hot as long as the engine has been off a while. Cold is often after the car has sat overnight and thus I check it before I leave for the office in the morning.

(While the Boxster has a dipstick I never use it.)

Hot is when I've driven the car long enough the engine and oil is fully up to temperature and the engine has sat off long enough that when I return the oil count down timer starts at '5' seconds.

For my 2003 996 Turbo I can only check the oil hot and with engine idling. So I check the oil level *before* I put the car away at night or after say I have arrived at the office and am letting the engine idle the 2 minutes to give the turbos a chance to cool down.

I also check it when gas the car.
Thanks for your comment. Does that mean my oil level is too low? I didn't get any warning or anything that tells me it is too low and hence my question in my first post. Is that normal?

Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Thanks for your comment. Does that mean my oil level is too low? I didn't get any warning or anything that tells me it is too low and hence my question in my first post. Is that normal?
What does your indicator show when you measure the oil level per the instructions - you didn't say what year your car is and I think the measurement process differs by model year.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
What does your indicator show when you measure the oil level per the instructions - you didn't say what year your car is and I think the measurement process differs by model year.
It is a 2005 Carrera S
It is not showing anything other than indicator of where Oil is at. LCD display only show lower portion On and OFF below minimum level

Old 07-10-2017, 02:45 PM
It is a 2005 Carrera S
It is not showing anything other than indicator of where Oil is at. LCD display only show lower portion On and OFF below minimum level
From page 119 (or thereabouts) from your owner's manual (with pictures) says:

– If the bottom segment is filled in, the oil level
has reached the minimum mark.
f Add engine oil immediately.
– If the segment flashes, the oil level has
dropped to below the minimum mark.

So to answer one of your questions - yes, your oil level is too low. I'd suggest adding in half quart (.4 liter) increments until the level rises above the minimum level.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 07-10-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 PM
From page 119 (or thereabouts) from your owner's manual (with pictures) says:

– If the bottom segment is filled in, the oil level
has reached the minimum mark.
– If the segment flashes, the oil level has
dropped to below the minimum mark.

So to answer one of your questions - yes, your oil level is too low. I'd suggest adding in half quart (.4 liter) increments until the level rises above the minimum level.
Thanks that answers my question. That's interesting though. I came from BMW world were it will let you know when you should add a quart.

That's not nice from Porsche. They should have at least implemented a way to warn the driver about oil level if it goes below minimum!

Old 07-11-2017, 06:31 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute

That's not nice from Porsche. They should have at least implemented a way to warn the driver about oil level if it goes below minimum!
They did. It's the gauge right in front of you that can give you an oil level reading every time you start the car. With an '05 it's also not going to tell you when your tire pressures are too low either, so you need to manually check them from time to time too. There ate many, many threads on oil level. Read a few and decode on your own cuz waking protocol and what you're comfortable with.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Petza914
They did. It's the gauge right in front of you that can give you an oil level reading every time you start the car. With an '05 it's also not going to tell you when your tire pressures are too low either, so you need to manually check them from time to time too. There ate many, many threads on oil level. Read a few and decode on your own cuz waking protocol and what you're comfortable with.
Sorry, what gauge you are talking about exactly? not the oil level indicator isn't it?

Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Sorry, what gauge you are talking about exactly? not the oil level indicator isn't it?
As you get ready to drive off, when you turn the key on (but don't start) the oil measurement process starts and shows the oil level right on the face of the OBC (On Board Computer). Refer to page 118 in your owner's manual.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, the oil level indicator in the bottom of the center tack gauge. When you get in the car, without depressing the clutch, turn the key all the way to the right and that will start the oil measurement process. After 5 seconds, it will display on the graph what your oil level is and it should be between the two arrows (at the top arrow, not all the way filling the gauge is full). Section flashing below the bottom arrow is too low. I tend to keep mine at the top arrow, never above, but don't worry about it if the one segment below the top arrow is empty as it's better to be one line down that overfull, as overfull can prematurely damage the AOS. I check mine first thing in the morning each day and I wait for 2 or 3 days in a row of a line down before adding any oil because the gauge isn't super accurate - today it might show a line down but tomorrow it shows full to the top arrow. When I do add any oil, it's never more than 0.25 qt at a time, then I check it over the next 2 or 3 days again before adding any more. I also don't pay any attention to readings done after driving the car (like at a gas station) as they are always low without enough oil returning to the pan for a consistent level measurement.

The protocol for the 997.2 cars is different than what I've described above where I believe they need to be checked hot and with the engine running.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:41 PM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
I check the oil about once a month. The newer water cooled cars are not as bad about using oil but they still use some. Like Petza914 stated turn the key all the way to the right and that will start the oil measurement process. After 5 seconds, it will display on the graph what your oil level is and it should be between the two arrows. I then turn ignition off, pour about 1/2 quart, depending on the level, and start the process all over again.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:43 PM
As you get ready to drive off, when you turn the key on (but don't start) the oil measurement process starts and shows the oil level right on the face of the OBC (On Board Computer). Refer to page 118 in your owner's manual.
Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, the oil level indicator in the bottom of the center tack gauge. When you get in the car, without depressing the clutch, turn the key all the way to the right and that will start the oil measurement process. After 5 seconds, it will display on the graph what your oil level is and it should be between the two arrows (at the top arrow, not all the way filling the gauge is full). Section flashing below the bottom arrow is too low. I tend to keep mine at the top arrow, never above, but don't worry about it if the one segment below the top arrow is empty as it's better to be one line down that overfull, as overfull can prematurely damage the AOS. I check mine first thing in the morning each day and I wait for 2 or 3 days in a row of a line down before adding any oil because the gauge isn't super accurate - today it might show a line down but tomorrow it shows full to the top arrow. When I do add any oil, it's never more than 0.25 qt at a time, then I check it over the next 2 or 3 days again before adding any more. I also don't pay any attention to readings done after driving the car (like at a gas station) as they are always low without enough oil returning to the pan for a consistent level measurement.

The protocol for the 997.2 cars is different than what I've described above where I believe they need to be checked hot and with the engine running.
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
I check the oil about once a month. The newer water cooled cars are not as bad about using oil but they still use some. Like Petza914 stated turn the key all the way to the right and that will start the oil measurement process. After 5 seconds, it will display on the graph what your oil level is and it should be between the two arrows. I then turn ignition off, pour about 1/2 quart, depending on the level, and start the process all over again.
I am not sure how it is 5 sec? Everytime I turn on ignition on cold start (without starting engine) It needs 30 min to get oil measurement.

Am I missing something here?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.