997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Loud cracking sound when putting top up today - rear window stuck down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 06:26 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Exclamation Loud cracking sound when putting top up today - rear window stuck down

This is in a 997.2

After a drive I put the top up and about halfway up I heard a cracking sound from the passenger side rear window. It was stuck halfway up and wouldn't move by manually using the window switch. I got out to inspect it and nothing looked out of the ordinary, the window moved up and down if I pushed and pulled it. I didn't want the top to get damaged putting it back up so I pushed the window down and finished putting the top up.

So now it has to sit overnight with the window down, I'll take it to the dealership tomorrow.

I have no idea what would have caused that. The windows have never acted up or had any issues before in the last year I've had it. I'm not sure if it got jammed somehow on the way up and broke something internally.

I'm wondering how much in labor it's going to cost to replace the window parts? I'm sure the regulator is still working fine.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:58 PM
st4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to allst4rk is a name known to all
Turned out to be the window motor - $1700 fix. I was trying to get more information from the dealer, but they weren't very verbose about how it failed, just that "your car is 6 years old with 45k miles and the motor eventually wears out".

What a ****ty explanation. So now I have a ticking timebomb on the other side of the car, I'll probably never put the top down again until I get rid of the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.