997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Need opinions and advice on potential 997S purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rednerrus
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm probably gonna pass on this one. I will keep looking. I wanted something with lower mileage anyways. Since I will actually daily drive the 997 once I get it.
A higher mileage car can be the better choice for a daily driver.

You pay a premium for a lower mileage car but the premium evaporates as you add the miles. IOWs, the car depreciates.

A well maintained higher mileage car suffers less depreciation as the miles accumulate.

Old 10-16-2017, 03:03 AM
rednerrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Macster
A higher mileage car can be the better choice for a daily driver.

You pay a premium for a lower mileage car but the premium evaporates as you add the miles. IOWs, the car depreciates.

A well maintained higher mileage car suffers less depreciation as the miles accumulate.
Hmm.. That's something to think about. But isn't the common rule, "get the newest, lowest mileage you can afford" ?

Old 10-17-2017, 02:07 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
These cars are meant to be driven (hard). Garage queens tend to have more problems than cars that are driven on a regular basis. I would not shy away from a higher mileage car provided that all of the maintenance has been kept up to date (and documented).

Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 PM
bliq is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rednerrus

What do you guys mean by "the 2007 did not have the small IMS bearing"? Does this mean that the IMS bearing failing wouldnt lead to a catastrophic repair if it does fail?
I noticed no one answered this for you. 996 and early 2005 997.1s had a single row IMS bearing. These were much more susceptible to the IMS issue. Mid 2005 and newer 997.1s had a dual row IMS bearing that were much improved. Failure of either one would be catastrophic. 997.2 did away with this altogether. There's a website that describes which engine numbers got the dual row bearing in 2005 but I can't find it.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:20 AM
rednerrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bliq
I noticed no one answered this for you. 996 and early 2005 997.1s had a single row IMS bearing. These were much more susceptible to the IMS issue. Mid 2005 and newer 997.1s had a dual row IMS bearing that were much improved. Failure of either one would be catastrophic. 997.2 did away with this altogether. There's a website that describes which engine numbers got the dual row bearing in 2005 but I can't find it.
Thanks for the clarification.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.