997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Windshield Pitting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:12 PM
circusboy is on a distinguished road
Windshield Pitting

Hey Folks,

My windshield has hundreds of little pits all over it. They really light up when I'm headed toward the sun. Pretty irritating.

Is there a way to resurface or resin fill or something to bring the glass back?

Something I can do myself, or does it need a professional?

Thanks.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Hi-Arc is on a distinguished road
Most likely will need to replace windshield

Old 10-26-2017, 02:35 PM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
you can try a rayon glass polishing pad and ceriglass glass polish on a dual action polisher but it will most likely need to be replaced.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:48 PM
circusboy is on a distinguished road
Dang.

Accounting for the possibility that no one else has a non-replacement solution, I put a call into an auto glass place. They quoted me nearly $1,000 for OEM and under $400 for "OE Equivalent." They said the only difference was that the OEE didn't say "Porsche" on it anywhere, included the antenna, etc. I'm guessing members of this forum will advise to go with OEM. Thoughts?

Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 PM
lowbee is on a distinguished road
I initially thought sure, go for the $1K OEM but then if the OE-equivalent is only $400 then it might worth the gamble. Say I put in the $400 glass and don't like it so I have it replace after 1 year with OEM...that ain't so bad but what if the OE-equivalent works out... then even if I have to replace it every 4 years, it will only cost me $800 in 8 years....sounds like a good gamble....

The worst the OE-equivalent will do is you'll see some distortion at some angles.....

The above sounds logical to me but it is not my car and if it is my car, then I may not be so rational.... haha

Last edited by lowbee; 10-26-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:42 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure what state you're in, but many have zero deductible on glass and some insurance companies will pony up the difference for OEM glass if you request it. I'd check into that if yiu haven't already before making your decision on which to use.

The secret to a good glass install is to let the car sit for 24 hours after they're done and out the windows down before they arrive. What can knock the glass out of positiin and create leaks is the air pressure wave that happens when closing the door before the sealant is fully cured.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:02 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
I just had the windshield in my 4S replaced a couple months ago and they could not find a aftermarket glass and put a OEM Porsche glass in it. I got 7 years out of the stock one, hopefully this one will make it that long too. In CA we have so much garbage and debris on the roads because apparently CalTrans does nothing, that cars are damaged all of the time now. I would think the insurance companies would be working on this problem.....

Old 10-27-2017, 11:48 PM
SoCal C2S is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cairo94507
I just had the windshield in my 4S replaced a couple months ago and they could not find a aftermarket glass and put a OEM Porsche glass in it. I got 7 years out of the stock one, hopefully this one will make it that long too. In CA we have so much garbage and debris on the roads because apparently CalTrans does nothing, that cars are damaged all of the time now. I would think the insurance companies would be working on this problem.....
No worries...after 1 November the gas tax goes up 12 cent/gal to fix the roads....on top of the 48 cent we already pay. We will be driving on glass smooth roads!

Old 10-29-2017, 07:48 AM
steve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to behold
In AZ I learned to add glass replacement to my policy. So dry here an so many rocks flying around a new windshield is almost mandatory every year or two. Thankfully the rocks dont seem to hit the paint, just the windshield.

Old 11-04-2017, 12:26 PM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
Can anyone recommend a Porsche-aware glass shop for mobile windshield replacement in the San Fernando Valley area?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:24 PM
4SCurt is an unknown quantity at this point
09 4S with new Porsche OEM glass installed this spring . Have done very little freeway driving this year. When facing bright sun I noticed hundreds of pits in the glass. Before installing the new glass it was the same. Label on Glass-- Saint-Gobain Sekurit, made in Czech Republic. Noticed all other Glass with same name but made in Germany. I made sure the glass came from Porsche before it was installed. ???? Go Figure

Old 11-08-2017, 07:38 PM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for your reply. The original glass on my '08 also was made in the Czech Republic. I'm almost resigned to just staying with the original glass, since anything else I get, original or "equivalent", will look sandblasted in a short time.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
Can anyone recommend a Porsche-aware glass shop for mobile windshield replacement in the San Fernando Valley area?
Call various Porsche dealers in your area and see if they'll tell you who they use.

At various times at a few dealers in my area I've spotted a Safelite truck behind the dealer doing glass/windshield work but down your way another glass installer might be preferred.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.