997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does Anyone Regret Buying Base Carrera (Non S)?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 02:23 PM
vern1 is on a distinguished road
If you have to ask....then you do in fact regret it

S drivers are just more manly

(Petza's DSC reco is a good one though if you want ride adjustability)

Love these threads and the justifications like "well where are you going to use the extra power anyways"

Old 11-26-2017, 05:50 AM
Redhot2474 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ask another way....

Does one who purchased S regret and wish they had a base? I don’t think so...

Old 11-26-2017, 07:56 AM
love2drive is on a distinguished road
Ouch

I don't have regrets because I knew 3 years ago, that I would had, if I purchased anything other than a 997 GTS manual. There is literally no other car on the planet that I want more. Even now, the only other car I'd want is a 991.2 gt3 touring with manual. And that car is barely available in the states and probably fully claimed for the next full year or so.

Each person is different. Choose carefully. Have fun.

Last edited by love2drive; 11-26-2017 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-27-2017, 02:38 AM
terrytwn is on a distinguished road
I believe it is about how you use the car. I'm sure most people will not use the full potential of any P-car therefore it really comes down to the minute when you walk up to the car and then get in and drive off. ...doesn't matter which model it is, it will all put a big smile on your face. That said, maybe an alternative suspension set-up on my non-S would be the only option I would do but other than that I don't see the need to go from a non-S to an S model. But a non-S to a GTS would be a different story.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:42 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
On a 997.1 I prefer the non S but 997.2 the S version is version to go for.

Explanation:
The 997.1 S has too thin sidewalls due to the increased displacement over the 3.6l. This combined with spirited driver causes reefs, higher heat between the cylinders and worst case engine failure. I read several instances on German Forums of related issues.

The 997.1 NON S seems to have less issues with the points mentioned above.
This engines scare me enough with IMS issues, no matter if S or non S.

On the 997.2 I would absolutely go for the S since this is a new and better engine overall, No IMS issues, DI and mentioned problems are not existent.

Overall, would I prefer a Mezger Turbo over 997.1 / 997.2/ S or non S?
Hell Yeah!!!! Not even a question.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:58 AM
Xander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really niceXander is just really nice
I owned a non 997.1 non S, and have several friends that have the S and all things considered I liked the feel and sound of the non S better. I had the "gundo" mod on the exhaust and it sounded great. We tried it on the S cars and it really didn't sound as nice. Also the startup, idle, flexibility of the non S engine seemed better (IMS bearing and related issues aside)

I have a 997.1 Turbo now, and sometimes miss the "athletic" feel of the non S car I had.

Name:  24O4jo6.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  SqUgUw4.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  90.1 KB

This is the current car

Click image for larger version

Name:	4mCzAjZ.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	931.2 KB
ID:	537488

X...

Old 12-27-2017, 06:41 PM
swingwing is an unknown quantity at this point
After a string of nine BMWs I decided to try my hand at a Porsche. I'm not a track/DE type, so after looking at cars for months I decided a base 997.2 would do 'jes fine. Found this one in Florida, and transporter brought it the week before Christmas. It's got plenty of performance for me. I'm really impressed so far by the design elegance of the car and the quality of materials, fit and finish. Wonderful car.

Attached Images  

Last edited by swingwing; 12-27-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:45 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Xander
I owned a non 997.1 non S, and have several friends that have the S and all things considered I liked the feel and sound of the non S better. I had the "gundo" mod on the exhaust and it sounded great. We tried it on the S cars and it really didn't sound as nice. Also the startup, idle, flexibility of the non S engine seemed better (IMS bearing and related issues aside)

I have a 997.1 Turbo now, and sometimes miss the "athletic" feel of the non S car I had.

This is the current car

X...
You talk a lot about the exhaust note on your previous car so it seems important to you. How have you dealt with that with the turbo? I never had a turbo but the consensus seems to be that it's almost impossible to make them sound good. Reason I'm asking is that I'm with you on this. I like the way the N/A cars sound when set up right and I've considered a turbo but I don't want a Porsche that sounds like a Fiat.

Old 12-31-2017, 02:24 PM
TheBruce is an unknown quantity at this point
Nope. I bought a 06 997.1 C2 with 40k miles and have zero regrets. I feel like a stole it. I originally put an offer on an 06 S model with 36k miles but then stumbled on mine because I love the classic 19" Sport Design wheels. The seller accidentally listed it cheaper on his website vs the Autotrader listing and ended up honoring it. At the price I got it, I couldn't say no. Half the joy of this car is how absurdly affordable it is. Its cheaper than buying a Ford Taurus and its fully depreciated. I can sell it for $5k more in California today then when I bought it in Texas. And a 997.2 C2S would cost 2x what mine did. Is it a better car? Yep. Doest it provide 2x the enjoyment and performance? Hell no.

From a performance standpoint, I wouldn't know the difference. The stats show the base model at 4.5 to 60mph vs 4.4 for the S model. I agree it revs free and feels "athletic" at high rpm. The Fister exhaust on mine sounds waaaay better than on the 997.2s. I like to think mine is the last of the mechanical 911s with no sport modes, PASM, PSE, etc,

From a reliability standpoint, the rumor is they have a much lower probability of bore scoring but I have seen any hard data on this. You also dont have the TPMS batteries to worry about.

There are some required mods for base models:

- Must have 19" wheels. Mine came stock. I think most 997.1s came with that option. However I see more 18" wheels on the 997.2 base model. They look terrible.
- The base ride height has a 4x4 look in the rear. Eibach springs give it a perfect stance. They look way better than the S stance.
- The unpainted base calipers look like crap over time. I repainted mine and they look great.
- Fister exhaust. Amazing.
- Im thinking about getting dual S exhaust tips. It feels a little "faux" but I like the look. I think some carbon dual tips would give it a little subtle bling but haven't pulled the trigger. Fabspeed has some, but they are pricey. Maxspeed is also has some from NHP but you can find the same on Ebay for half the price. Dansk has some dual tips that look OEM and come with the 50mm adapter for a reasonable price.

All in these mods will run you a 1-2 grand, so you have $8k left vs buying an S you can put towards tires and gas.

I'm 100% certain the 997.1 base model is the best value sports car in the world.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:14 PM
slowday is on a distinguished road
It depends on how much you paid for it

If buying brand new, just buy the S and be done with it. The badging alone is worth it.

I was at an event the other day and a guy with the 991 turbo parked beside a turbo S. You could see the look of envy all over his face. He kept explaining to me why the turbo S wasn't worth the extra $30k or so.

so even at the higher end, the non S causes inferiority complex.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:26 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slowday
If buying brand new, just buy the S and be done with it. The badging alone is worth it.

I was at an event the other day and a guy with the 991 turbo parked beside a turbo S. You could see the look of envy all over his face. He kept explaining to me why the turbo S wasn't worth the extra $30k or so.

so even at the higher end, the non S causes inferiority complex.
Some are never satisfied unless they have the latest greatest (i.e., highest price tag) at every event. I used to have that affliction in early to mid 2004 time frame and it becomes an itch that can never be satisfied.

Anyhow, it has nothing to do with the car and everything to do with the person. Either an S or a non-S will be more than sufficient for public streets given the car control ability of 99% of those purchasing these cars. Perhaps not even 1 out of a 100 driving 997s can actually drive the car consistently at or near it limits.

Old 12-31-2017, 07:37 PM
wjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TheBruce
...From a performance standpoint, I wouldn't know the difference...
In practice, there's not that much between them.

Here's a series of drag races between various .2 coupes (base vs. S, RWD vs. AWD). The actual races begin at the 2m33s mark:

All have PDK w/SC, so that helps reduce driver variance.

I imagine you'd see similar deltas between the .1 models...

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 12-31-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:51 PM
sober_owl is on a distinguished road
another base model here no regrets...
kw v3,front aero kit, brake calipers painted,19 inch forgelines, oem ssk, fabspeed exhaust, evoms intake....all stuff i woulved done to an s so why pay for extra stuff i wasnt gonna used anyways..
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20170623_183810.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	695.4 KB
ID:	519054

Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 AM
Tuizner is an unknown quantity at this point
Why would anyone regret buying a 911? To be sure there is a lot of manhood measuring going on once you are on the 911 ladder but you'll never win that one - always a bigger fish in the pond so buy what pleases you and not what pleases others.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.