997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:26 AM
brewster16 will become famous soon enough
Check Engine Light

If I have a check engine light on will that disable the "sport mode"?? .......My sport mode is inoperative and am curious if they are related to each other. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:08 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps, perhaps not. Start by pulling the code for the check engine light, preferably with a Porsche specific reader like Durametric or PIWIS. I bet there are more then just engine codes going on here.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:39 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
+1

You need to know the specific code. I bet it's an error code and has nothing to do with the engine so not technically a CEL (check engine light). I bet it's PASM suspension related. Does the suspension feel like it's in full stiff all the time. When you try to press the Sport button, does the light on the button change state, do you get an error message that says "not permissible", or "PASM failure" , or does it just not feel like it has changed to sport mode?

Do you have Sport Chrono, do you have PSE.

The more info you provide the better the internet diagnosis / guess we can provide, starting with year and model.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Petza914
+1

You need to know the specific code. I bet it's an error code and has nothing to do with the engine so not technically a CEL (check engine light). I bet it's PASM suspension related. Does the suspension feel like it's in full stiff all the time. When you try to press the Sport button, does the light on the button change state, do you get an error message that says "not permissible", or "PASM failure" , or does it just not feel like it has changed to sport mode?

Do you have Sport Chrono, do you have PSE.

The more info you provide the better the internet diagnosis / guess we can provide, starting with year and model.
Thanks so much for the response....OK, here are the specifics: Diagnostics were run by my local mechanic but no "specific" code flagged as the culprit for the check engine light were obtained. It was NOT a Porsche specific diagnostic computer. The mechanic reset the light and it stayed off for about 1 month then came back on several weeks ago. I tried the obvious tightening of the gas cap and oil cap to no avail. The car has been running without a hiccup for 2 months with the check engine light on. Regarding the "sport mode button"....when I hit the button it does NOT turn amber indicating sport mode is on nor does the suspension stiffen and RPM increase as it always has in the past. In other words...nothing happens. Back to my initial question: Is the sport mode automatically disabled with the check engine light on, or do I have 2 separate problems with the car?

Last edited by brewster16; 12-05-2018 at 07:41 AM. Reason: left out that I do have Sport Chrono
Old 12-05-2018, 07:51 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brewster16
Back to my initial question: Is the sport mode automatically disabled with the check engine light on, or do I have 2 separate problems with the car?
That is certainly a possibility depending on the specific error.

I would start by researching which fuse or fuses are associated with the Sport function. The fact that the button doesn't light tells me that something is going on with that circuit and if a related fuse is blown, that could be why sport mode doesn't work and the cause of the error light instead of the error light preventing sport mode from engaging.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 AM
By the way I DO have sport chrono, but no Porsche Sport Exhaust