997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Das Schild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:38 PM
DOOBEE will become famous soon enoughDOOBEE will become famous soon enough
Das Schild

I had one in my basement for at least 5 years. Installed it but the hood wouldn't close. It interfered with the front seal. Anybody had this issue? I looked around online and some cover the badge acces holes completely while others look like they leave them a bit exposed which would let the seal by. Pics of both below.

No adjustment.

Last edited by DOOBEE; 06-15-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:37 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Your second picture of the silver car is my car. No issues with the fitment on that one or the one I have on my wife's pink car.

There is a little bit of adjustment possible after you've put all the serrated plastic pins into the holes before you push them in tight all the way as the slots in the metal hood they go into are slots and not just holes.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:27 AM
larrytrk will become famous soon enough
No problems with my 06 997.1s and my 09 997.2S

Old 07-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Not sure why mine doesn't fit up well. The hood sucks to close to begin with and I never use the frunk anyway. I'm just going to return it.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DOOBEE
Not sure why mine doesn't fit up well. The hood sucks to close to begin with and I never use the frunk anyway. I'm just going to return it.
Why does the hood "suck to close to begin with"? Mine close just fine, lower til it catches, then press down at the latch location and click. Sounds like you may have a misadjusted latch mechanism and that's making the closing of the hood even worse with the Das Schild installed. I'd remedy the hood latch alignment issue first, then try it again. It's really nice to have for piece of mind when putting stuff in the frunk.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:47 PM
It's that last push after the hood has been lowered onto the latch. I cringe having to push an aluminum panel down that hard with a few fingers even on a hemmed edge. Maybe mine is out of alignment, I'll have to try another 997 to see if it's any better. An electronic cincher would have made sense here.

The Das Schild interfered with the seal. I could see it covered the wear line where the seal lays on the underside of the hood at the front edge. It's that extra compression required making the lid more difficult to close. I expect it would also damage the seal or worse maybe allow it to leak. That's what got me searching for installed pics and I found the leading edge coverage of the shields to be different. Although the holes in the hood are slotted the holes on the DS are not and the x pattern locates the part. The only adjustment is in the side to side crush zone of the push darts. I could only get it to land in one spot.

Aside from the main issue I ran into, one other feature I dislike is that it covers the access holes for the crest nuts. Minor but they could have added these.

This one was in my basement for 7 years, maybe I'll try again in the next 7.