997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Spare Tire and the C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Coochas will become famous soon enoughCoochas will become famous soon enough
Spare Tire and the C4S

I just received my emergency wheel set up for my C4S from Sunset Porsche and wanted to show you the pics but also to get some advice. Bottom line is it doesn't seem to fit in the boot! I am going to ask Jeff at Sunset to confirm again the part number for the 997 C4S and see if Porsche recommends using the boot or back seat to carry it.

First of all, the part number for the emergency wheel is slightly different for the 997 C4S 996-362-020-03 (compare with 996-362-020-02 for C2). The tire indicates 185/60-17 same as the C2 tire. Is it the exact same thing? - I have no idea!
I also ordered the Porsche scissor jack and foam insert for the wheel to carry the jack. I also got the $2 huge bag to carry the "dirty wheel" in after tire changing.

The tire comes in a semi-deflated state but I can't figure out how to make iot fit in the boot. I know that the boot space on the 4 is smaller than a 2 but I'm guessing that part of this volume change must be the actual depth of the boot. The tire does fit in at an angle and probably just barely contacts the hood so it probably would not jump around. I still have room for my travel tool kit, lug wrench, knee pads, winter spacer set & lugs, a quart of Mobil One and a flashlight!

The other thing I have thought about is simply putting the damn thing in one of the rear seats. I never use the rear seats for anything so it is essentially wasted space. I think I could fasten the wheel in place using the rear seat belt and then slip a black tire cover over it so you wouldn't really notice it in the all black cockpit.

Does anyone know where I can find a nice leather tire cover for this 21" beauty??? I have found some vinyl covers on line (trailer wheels are the same size) but not leather.

Any input on this placement issue would be appreciated.
Here's the pics:

Front of Wheel:

Back of Wheel:

Wheel part number:

Jack:

Foam Jack Holder:

Jack with Foam Insert and Wheel:

Emerg Wheel in rear Seat

Emerg Wheel in Boot

Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 AM
peterm is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if this fits in the c2S?? What was the cost of this "option". I do recall having a large gash in a tire in Western Jersey in an area with NO cell service, fortunately the 996 came with a deflated donut spare, and also it was fortunate that I din't have a passenger as there was no place to put that huge flat/rim except the passenger seat (therein the reason for the black bag)

Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
Spare tires could not be fitted to 996 C4S. I doubt 997 C4S could take it in the boot either given it's a 4wd and boot is smaller.

You can probly get a nylon tire cover. You may want to use some padding or towels at the bottom of the tire so your rear seat bottom doesn't get a big indentation stress mark.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:20 AM
peterm is on a distinguished road
My 2002 c4s came with deflated donut in the boot, air compressor to fill it jack/lug wrench gloves and a big plastic bag. There was little room for anything else

Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Mine too, used it twice.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by peterm
Does anyone know if this fits in the c2S?? What was the cost of this "option". I do recall having a large gash in a tire in Western Jersey in an area with NO cell service, fortunately the 996 came with a deflated donut spare, and also it was fortunate that I din't have a passenger as there was no place to put that huge flat/rim except the passenger seat (therein the reason for the black bag)
Yes, it will fit in the 997 C2 series - note that the part number is slightly different (ends in 02 not 03) but I am fairly certain it is the same donut!
Check out this post from MMD on Rennlist - he shows a pic of the donut in the boot of his 997 2S (fully upright, not tilted) AND some nifty hardware to secure it in place: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=279156
The more I think about it, the more I am likely to leave it in the boot tilted at an angle (in this way it just 'kisses' the hood when fully closed. I'll likely throw a vinyl cover over it just to keep it neat and keep the jack in the back of the thing. I guess I'd prefer to have my boot cluttered rather than my back seat!

Old 06-13-2006, 05:10 PM
Here's a page from the 996 owner's manual showing how the spare is either stored vertically (Carrera 2, Targa) or horizontally (Carrera 4):

Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 PM
retsel75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Spare tire

I have a '04 GT-3 and ordered a collapsable spare and yes it does not fit. The spare is wider than the slot. I just place it verically in the front and prop it up, works fine. I don't understand the 21" statement. Anyway that's what you can do.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by retsel75
I have a '04 GT-3 and ordered a collapsable spare and yes it does not fit. The spare is wider than the slot. I just place it verically in the front and prop it up, works fine. I don't understand the 21" statement. Anyway that's what you can do.
The 21" refers to the diameter of the 'collapsed' spare (6" width for anyone wondering). As it turns out, many trailer tires are 21" in diameter so I'm hoping a standard trailer tire nylon cover will cover the donut.
Sorry for the confusion,...did you think I was boasting about my manhood?

Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 PM
C4Cortez will become famous soon enough
Dave, the 997 Turbo ought to be a good guide as far as how Porsche attaches the spare in the front trunk. Maybe I missed it in a prior post, but do you know if your spare tire package is identical part # to the optional 997TT spare? I am assuming-- maybe incorrectly-- that the 997TT front trunk config/dimensions are identical to C4/C4S.

Here's a thought I had, for peace of mind--- and to avoid having to put the unsightly thing in your backseat, probably stinks up the interior w/new tire rubber smell if you throw it in the backseat too--- if you are worried about the upper edge of the spare's tread nudging up against the underside of the sheet metal of the lid, maybe the trunk-floor carpet could be temporarily removed easily(?) in order to open up an additional 1/4" or so of vertical clearance.

Last edited by C4Cortez; 06-13-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by C4Cortez
Dave, the 997 Turbo ought to be a good guide as far as how Porsche attaches the spare in the front trunk. Maybe I missed it in a prior post, but do you know if your spare assembly is identical part # to the optional 997TT spare?
I don't know about the 997TT, but that would be really good to know what the Porsche part number is for that spare.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Spare Tire - FINAL SOLUTION

I now have my final solution for the C4S spare tire!

I purchased a 21.5” x 8” trailer tire cover from www.tirecovers.com (size “O”, available in black, white, tan, and gray). I then used the picture of my illuminated door sill (“Carrera 4S”) and changed the background to black and the lettering to Speed Yellow (or something close) and printed this on a sticker that I affixed to the nylon tire cover. I think it works pretty well. I toyed with the idea of getting a custom leather cover w/stitching made but then I realized that there is the brink of insanity and the abyss…so I stopped.

I made a small bag of goodies which fits behind the spare tire in the bottom of the boot (this works because the spare is inserted ‘lying backwards’ to accommodate the smaller C4S boot space). The goodies (see pic below) include:
-Porsche wheel lock
-wheel hanger from Boothe
-“soft socket” from Boothe
-Craftsman torque wrench
-Giant plastic bag for flat tire
-Knee Pads (to change tires, not to get a promotion)
-Gloves (to keep my hands pretty)
-Porsche tire gauge ($26, Suncoast)
-Speed Yellow Flashlight (Craftsman)

I also ordered Das Schild just to make sure my hood stays just the way it is!

Spare tire containing insert with scissor jack:

Nylon tire cover over spare:

Assorted goodies for emergency use:

Assorted “goodies” fit in small tote bag:

Spare tire, tool kit, bag of “goodies,” and 1 qt Mobil1 - ALL fit in das boot!!!!!!

Last edited by Coochas; 06-19-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:08 PM
2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light2FST4U is a glorious beacon of light
Can you show a Pix of what the Tire Looks Like when its inflated ? Did you test to make sure it inflates ?

Old 12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by 2FST4U
Can you show a Pix of what the Tire Looks Like when its inflated ? Did you test to make sure it inflates ?
Knock on wood - I have never had to inflate it.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:41 PM
WaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond reputeWaltB has a reputation beyond repute
I guess a pretty fair question would be to do a survey on how many of us have actually had a flat. I personally would rather not lose the valuable and very limited space to a spare tire and other equiptment.
As for me, I have never had a flat in my 996 Cab, M3 or C4S Cab. (Guess I should find some wood to knock on.) Actually come to think of it, I can't remember my last flat tire in anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire and the C4S