997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help needed with tire issue.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:49 PM
rightlook is on a distinguished road
Help needed with tire issue.

Hello 6Speeders!

Well, a few months back I picked up a new C2S. This is my first Porsche and first "high end" sports car. Anyway, I have enjoyed reading and learning here on 6Speed. So here is my small dilemma.

While washing my car Saturday I noticed what looked to be a nail head right dead in the middle of the tread on the rear tire! Anyway, I decided to pull it out and see how long it was. So, after pulling it out about 1.5 inches I realize that this is one long nail so I stopped.

Anyway, I have read the threads on repair vs replace and have decided to repair the tire at this point. So my question is this. I could A. Flatbed the car to the tire store and have them perform the repair there OR B. take the tire off and drive it over in my SUV. I would like to remove the tire and take it over myself. So now for the question. Is it ok to use one of those floor jacks to jack the car up and remove the tire? And is it ok to leave the car jacked up while I drive the tire over to the tire store? I have little experience with this and would hate to have something happen while the tire is off the car. I also noticed while practicing with the jack that the front tire lifted off of the ground as well. Any problems with that?

Anyway, suggestions on how to handle this are needed and welcome! I am in San Diego and the salesman at the local dealer suggested that I take it to Discount Tire. He said they do a lot of work for them.

Thoughts?

--Stephen

Old 02-19-2007, 02:03 PM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Remove the tire and take it to Discount Tire.
Hello Newbie! from a like newbie to the forum. 1st set your parking brake,
this will keep the wheel from turning when you are loosening the lug bolts.
As far as jacking the car up, the reason the front wheel lifts is because the chasis is rigid.(one thing that makes a Porsche a Porsche) This is one of the main reasons Porsche's corner so well. Minimum chasis flex allows the suspension to work in cornering.
Leaving your car on the jack for a few hours will not hurt anything.
Don't lift the car any higher than needed to remove the tire. No need of
tweaking the chasis anymore than needed to remove the tire.
I hope this is helpful.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Thanks

Thanks Silvershark that does help. Just wanted to see if my thinking was correct. In the manual is states that one should use some type of centering device that gets screwed onto the threads to aid in removing the tire (porsche product). Do you think that is really necessary? The guy at the tire store said no.

--Stephen

Old 02-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Talking

Stephen, the centering tool does make it easier when reinstalling the wheel.
If you could recruit your wife or a friend when installing it is a breeze.
I have installed by myself... the only challenge is lining up the holes then
starting the threads on the lug bolt. Nothing is holding the wheel and tire up
but you, while you are trying to start a lug bolt. This is where the extra hand
may come in handy. With the tool, it holds the wheel up and helps align the other lug holes. Good Luck

Old 02-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Redlined has a spectacular aura aboutRedlined has a spectacular aura about
Silvershark has it down perfectly, but don't forget a jack stand! Good luck.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Where?

Ahhh, but where do I put the jack stand! In the manual it says to only use the jack points...that is where the jack will be. Thanks guys!

--Stephen

Old 02-19-2007, 04:44 PM
porschenut911 is on a distinguished road
Good advice from everyone here. I'd take only the wheel to the shop and make sure it comes out as it was delivered, no dents. You can always check renntech on how to properly lift your car. They have many threads under DIY. Good luck.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:55 PM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Don't need a jackstand, the jack will support it just fine.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:29 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silvershark
Stephen, the centering tool does make it easier when reinstalling the wheel.
If you could recruit your wife or a friend when installing it is a breeze.
I have installed by myself... the only challenge is lining up the holes then
starting the threads on the lug bolt. Nothing is holding the wheel and tire up
but you, while you are trying to start a lug bolt. This is where the extra hand
may come in handy. With the tool, it holds the wheel up and helps align the other lug holes. Good Luck
The primary reason for the centering tool is to keep from banging the calipers when removing and intalling the wheel. You install the device in the top lug hole then you can remove all the other lugs bolts without worrying about the wheel hitting the caliper...and it makes it easier to do too. If you have PCCB, two devices are recommended.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I have never had any problem bumping the calipers. But the alignment tool
would definetly prevent any chance of it.

Old 02-19-2007, 05:44 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
make sure no one goes near your car and lift while you are out getting the tire fixed! good luck.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:01 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silvershark
I have never had any problem bumping the calipers. But the alignment tool
would definetly prevent any chance of it.
Here's where I found out about the device - Booth charges $29.95 but I think the Porsche version is less than $10. The wheels on my C4 are on and off quite often and I love using these things.

http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread...t=wheel+hanger

Old 02-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Here's where I found out about the device - Booth charges $29.95 but I think the Porsche version is less than $10. The wheels on my C4 are on and off quite often and I love using these things.

http://www.caymanclub.net/showthread...t=wheel+hanger
Thanks for the info, I will get one. Those 315/25/19 are heavy to hold and
align.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 PM
elh0102 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rightlook
Ahhh, but where do I put the jack stand! In the manual it says to only use the jack points...that is where the jack will be. Thanks guys!

--Stephen
You can jack the entire rear of the car using the engine casing, lifting at the rear, lowermost casting just behind the oil pan. You can find photos in the 996 DIY section under several threads. You won't find it recommended in the manual, but every dealer and Porsche tech will assure you it is safe. Then you can place the jack stands under the lifting pads. Don't forget to chock the front wheels, lest the car begins to roll when you lift the rear. It should be safe to leave the car on the jack. But, it's like handing someone a weapon without unloading, it just goes against my training.

As for the wheel centering tool, you can just buy a bolt of the proper thread and cut off the head. If you use such a device, be sure to screw it in all the way to avoid damaging threads in the hub in case the bolt/tool should support the weight of the wheel and tire during the process, creating a lot of leverage on the end of the bolt.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by elh0102
You can jack the entire rear of the car using the engine casing, lifting at the rear, lowermost casting just behind the oil pan. You can find photos in the 996 DIY section under several threads. You won't find it recommended in the manual, but every dealer and Porsche tech will assure you it is safe. Then you can place the jack stands under the lifting pads. Don't forget to chock the front wheels, lest the car begins to roll when you lift the rear. It should be safe to leave the car on the jack. But, it's like handing someone a weapon without unloading, it just goes against my training.

As for the wheel centering tool, you can just buy a bolt of the proper thread and cut off the head. If you use such a device, be sure to screw it in all the way to avoid damaging threads in the hub in case the bolt/tool should support the weight of the wheel and tire during the process, creating a lot of leverage on the end of the bolt.
I think this is a cheaper way to go than the bolt, cutting, etc.
999 571 074 30 - wheel hanger
$6.37 (+ shipping) from Sunset Imports

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help needed with tire issue.