997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Alternative to Porsche OEM SAT/NAV System ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:51 AM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Alternative to Porsche OEM SAT/NAV System ?

Hello Group,

I was wondering if there was a clean alternative to the OE sat/nav system or if anyone has any experience withan aftermarket system that is built into the dash....

The OE system is quite antiquated compared to whats out there !

Thanks is advance

Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 PM
Red Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the rough
Yo Uncle,
Save your money and buy a portable one. I have a Garmin NUVI. Very small (about the size of two decks of cards) works great and will keep your kids busy on long road trips. Also, free on-line upgrades vs having to go into the shop

Old 05-12-2007, 11:17 PM
unclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really niceunclejosh is just really nice
Hey Red-

Thanks for the input - was salivating over Nuvi units at Circuit City last week.

Which Nuvi do you have ?

I am wondering if there is an in-dash alternative as well......................

Here is a link to a unit that interfaces with OEM LCD with or without nav, and allows you to play video.............

http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m..._rgb2x_911.asp

Regards

Old 05-13-2007, 06:03 AM
RedRocket is infamous around these parts
+1 for the nuvi. I bought the 350 just over a year ago, it is an excellent unit and easily upgradable online. great size too.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:51 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
What ever you get, get one with text to speech, so it announces street names besides the ding!
Certain Nuvi's, Magellan's, garmins and tom toms!
Much more informative, infinately better and easier to use than our clumsey Nav units, cheaper to upgrade maps, etc!

Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Red Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the roughRed Bogey is a jewel in the rough
Uncle Josh,
I have the NUVI 350. Buy PSP's for the kids & forget the in dash headache

Old 05-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Sounds like I could step into a 350 or 360 Nuvi for ca. $ $400.00-500.00 - Bluetooth to my cell, and all that good stuff,

and save 2K on Porsche OEM unit.... With the $ 1500.00 savings, I can get Ipod integrator and start saving for the exhaust system.....

Sounds like a plan !

Last edited by unclejosh; 05-14-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
stock Porsche one works great. no wires all over the place like the nav in my Toyota.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 PM
grahamtwatson is infamous around these parts
I put a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in my 996. REALLY nice unit - not only does it do all the SatNav stuff, but it also plays CDs, DVDs, MP3s, XM, Sirius, iPod and even will rip CDs to it's internal 10 Gb disk space.

Fitting it was easy as well - dunno how well it would work with the new MOST systems though (probably not at all, you'd need to wire it to the speakers).

STRONGLY recommended. (It's the AVIC-Z2 now, you can probably pick up Z1 units cheaply on eBay)

Old 05-15-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the tip - looks like an incredible unit;

see

http://reviews.cnet.com/Pioneer_Avic...7-6684020.html

Old 05-15-2007, 10:44 AM
mkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura about
660 rocks
trafic info worth the $60 year.
works great!

Originally Posted by unclejosh
Hey Red-

Thanks for the input - was salivating over Nuvi units at Circuit City last week.

Which Nuvi do you have ?

I am wondering if there is an in-dash alternative as well......................

Here is a link to a unit that interfaces with OEM LCD with or without nav, and allows you to play video.............

http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m..._rgb2x_911.asp

Regards

Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
ApexHunter is infamous around these parts
I bought the Nuvi 680, and am very pleased with it so far. It cost a bit more than the 660, but it has a few more features, and comes with a free year of MSN (which is used for traffic, gas prices, movie times, weather).

It is funny that when I bought my 911s, the dealer actually told me what a rip off the stock Nav is, and how it doesn't have the features of the newer aftermarket setups (Bluetooth, touchscreen, real time traffic etc..) He told me not to spend the money trying to add the stock Nav, but buy one of the Garmin systems.

The only problem was mounting the damn thing with the power cord. I ended up mounting on the dash and it looks ok (silver finish matches the silver of the 911) , but that damn cord is unsightly.

I wish there was a way to switch the 12v power ports to switched from the ignition instead of being on all the time... It's a drag to have to unplug it all the time.

>>>Apex

Old 05-15-2007, 12:46 PM
mkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura about
odd, your 680 deson't auto sense ignition off?
mine was plugged into the main power in my older prische whcih was constant power and it senses the power jump when turning car on/off and auto shuts down/powers up.
i was lucky that previous owener installed an aux power cig plug in glove compartment so i just tuck cord into the glove box! works perfect.
how do you like 680? is gas price feature accurate?
marc

Originally Posted by ApexHunter
I bought the Nuvi 680, and am very pleased with it so far. It cost a bit more than the 660, but it has a few more features, and comes with a free year of MSN (which is used for traffic, gas prices, movie times, weather).

It is funny that when I bought my 911s, the dealer actually told me what a rip off the stock Nav is, and how it doesn't have the features of the newer aftermarket setups (Bluetooth, touchscreen, real time traffic etc..) He told me not to spend the money trying to add the stock Nav, but buy one of the Garmin systems.

The only problem was mounting the damn thing with the power cord. I ended up mounting on the dash and it looks ok (silver finish matches the silver of the 911) , but that damn cord is unsightly.

I wish there was a way to switch the 12v power ports to switched from the ignition instead of being on all the time... It's a drag to have to unplug it all the time.

>>>Apex

Old 05-15-2007, 02:57 PM
ApexHunter is infamous around these parts
The 680 in my 997 does not switch off automagically. However, I will triple check it. Normally, I power it on and off by putting the plug in, and then pulling it out to shut it off. I do this so that it won't drain the battery, as it goes into charge mode automatically. When the plug is pulled out, it asks if you want to turn off (does so by itself in 30 sec) or stay on via battery. Unfortunately, you need the cable and cord for the real time traffic and other MSN data.

As for gas prices, I have not used it for that yet, but will let you know.

The traffic works well, as do most of the other functions.

>>>Apex

Old 05-15-2007, 03:11 PM
it must be under a submenu setting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Alternative to Porsche OEM SAT/NAV System ?