American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

First Car For Teen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Fat11 is on a distinguished road
First Car For Teen

I am very fortunate to have a teen daughter who is very interested in cars. While she is 1 year away from getting licensed, we are already discussing her first car. She wants to build/restore a 68 Mustang starting this summer. I am okay with this choice, however, I can't stop thinking of the safety advancements in the more modern cars.

I would like to know if anyone here has faced the same dilema and if so, what was the decision.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
For a 1st vehicle, I believe the newer safety equipment is a MUST.

My thoughts!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 AM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
I agree, let her get her feet wet driving before getting a classic car. If she likes the look, maybe a new Mustang will do? Ford really hit the mark on the '10-'11 Mustangs if you ask me.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 AM
snakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to beholdsnakebitten is a splendid one to behold
How about a late 90's NSX, 300zx, C5 Vette, late 90' early 2k BMW M3/Porsche Boxter etc. All sufficiently safe and modern enough but with possible restorability value that she seems to love.

Gotta say she has very good taste with that classic 68 Stang. If its just a love affair with the 68 Mustang than other cars will just not do. If its just plain love for cars then there are sooo many choices she can choose from from foreign and domestic.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:56 PM
extanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond reputeextanker has a reputation beyond repute
what a country

Old 04-17-2010, 06:10 PM
()utlaw is on a distinguished road
Buy a 68 Mustang to restore with her....BUT also buy her an econo box to drive (read- get driving experience with) while the Stang is being built.

We just had this discussion on another forum, the owner of a racing engine shop wanted to give his daughter a 650 HP LSX F-body for her first car because "she was so responsible for 17 years old"

Yeah right...

Beater first..nice car 2nd.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:05 PM
flyinbrian has a spectacular aura aboutflyinbrian has a spectacular aura about
I just have this image of a 16 yr old girl texting and driving a 68 Mustang...

I like ()utlaws idea if you really want the Mustang "for her." Work on it with her, even autox/track day with her to help her learn driving dynamics and safety, but give her a Ford Focus for her daily.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:09 PM
lucas328 is on a distinguished road
come from someone who was that age getting there first nice car not to long ago DONT DO IT !

Old 04-17-2010, 10:08 PM
kosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nicekosmo69 is just really nice
wow. Can you adopt me?!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 PM
purplenurple is on a distinguished road
Get her a slightly used Mercedes until she gets the hang of whats going on, and you know they are built to take a hit. I hated my ML320, but I'm glad that I didn't get an SRT8 or a GTO (which I have now) as my first car. A you that she and all her friends will be going shopping in the car, so imagine how you would feel about a freshly restored '67 stang with door dings and hand bag scratches

Old 04-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Gungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant futureGungriffin has a brilliant future
Take a look at this. When you are done thanking God that you did not buy her the 68' Stang for the DD, consider something newer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ygY...layer_embedded

I would say a late model Honda Accord of some sort with a manual transmission. That is just my .02 cents. Decent size and the manual trans makes it at least somewhat fun to drive. Plus the manual will not make it possible to put on make up and text while driving Hopefully your daughter will be part of the small percentage that does not get in an accident, but isn't is better to plan in case she is? ABS and airbags- two things NO first car should be without.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:17 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
Small engine in a mid size or large car. Safety is paramount while the skills are low (developing), experience is nil and distractions are high.

Teach her yourself how to drive on top of whatever formal education she receives. Do more advanced training like spins in the snow, power sliding, braking in snow etc to learn the physics and feel of how to handle the car when it is out of control and how to avoid it going out of control. Also, think about distraction immersion - manual car on a hill etc. Take the time to show her how to handle the worst situations while you are with her and she can learn how to manage through the challenges.

That's what I'd do if I had a kid to teach - I learned this way and developed some really good skills early. Still ended up bending a fender at 17.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:44 AM
chad05gt is on a distinguished road
Faster car not a bad idea. In my own experience, I would have wadded up a pos in no time... BUT, b/c I was driving something that I respected and knew would go ditch hunting in a quickness if I showed my ***; I didnt.

Driving a sports car made me drive slower; all eyes/radars on ya!

FWIW 1989 Formula 350; miss that ole Pontiac to pieces
14.55 @ 97mph w/ full stock exhaust and Zrated radials, advanced timing and homemade CAI w/ manualy raised/removed headlight.

Ill have to dig up an old pic.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor
StuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to beholdStuartsPNB is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by snakebitten
How about a late 90's NSX, 300zx, C5 Vette, late 90' early 2k BMW M3/Porsche Boxter etc. All sufficiently safe and modern enough but with possible restorability value that she seems to love.

Gotta say she has very good taste with that classic 68 Stang. If its just a love affair with the 68 Mustang than other cars will just not do. If its just plain love for cars then there are sooo many choices she can choose from from foreign and domestic.
I like this idea.

90's NSX or E46 M3 or E36 M3....

I think an E46 M3 would be a great car to learn on.

FAT11: What are you thinking?

Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 PM
LT1
LT1 is on a distinguished road
mini cooper manual trans

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Car For Teen