American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Dodge Viper - How are they for maint. ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM
gamebred26 is on a distinguished road
how are the front clips from the dealer if you do wreck it...i have heard $20k is that true?

Old 07-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Surfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gamebred26
how are the front clips from the dealer if you do wreck it...i have heard $20k is that true?
Which gen? I don't know about 20k, never heard that. The main expensive piece was the Gen II's clamshell hood which was like 10-15k from the factory but plenty of places offered replacement at lower cost, lot's of people replaced their hoods from insurance and pocketed a nice amount of change too lol. Which is why they went to a much cheaper and cost effective replacement hood on the 3's/4's.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
Things/concerns to look for in the GTS years when shopping?

Old 07-13-2011, 03:00 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
Things/concerns to look for in the GTS years when shopping?

make sure it has at least 1000hp
http://www.motorcars-intl.com/vehicl...AR=Dodge-Viper

Old 07-17-2011, 04:32 PM
jutes85 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I've been pondering the idea of trading in the STi for a Viper now that I have a dedicated DD and winter car. I currently have my eye on this one: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Dodge/Vip...0730113443624/

Only the GEN II's appeal to me. I'll be autocrossing whatever I end up getting, how are the gen 2's in terms of handling and braking?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM
chrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura about
1) I would definitely read Maurice Lang's Viper Buyers Guide before buying any Viper.

2) The clam shell front ends of the Gen1/2 are expensive. Freakishly so and will only be increasing in value and people need replacements. (I seen them as low as $8,000, with some small repair and prep needed....)

3) Gen 2's are great in handling and braking, but they only got ABS in 2001. You'll want that if you're going to track your car (or autocross). No ABS + freakishly expensive front end = heart break.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM
cheon is on a distinguished road
Got 3 94 98 06 and they are dirt cheap for up keep and moding. Compared to my 996. Do it and don't look back.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 AM
cyntaxx is on a distinguished road
Gents,

Would like to follow up on this thread as I'm considering one of these.

Torn between third and fourth gen mainly due to difference in price so would love insight on whether the 15-20k USD (at least) gap is worthwhile to top up to a 2008+.

To preface, I wouldn't modify heavily and would keep her naturally aspirated (and off the gas). I'd "daily drive" her in sunny California; and also do a few cross-country excursions (potentially).

- Annual maintenance?
- Known issues across the years?
- Warranty - how well does Dodge stand behind them?
- Drivability in traffic, wet conditions?

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 AM
chrcowan has a spectacular aura aboutchrcowan has a spectacular aura about
cyntaxx,

you'll want to look into the Viper specific forums (VCA for example) for A LOT of discussion on this topic. Based on what you said, you'll want the Gen 4 for sure. I bought a Gen 4 myself after weighing all of the options.

- Annual maintenance? Gas, insurance, oil changes, etc. not so cheap, cheap, cheap.
- Known issues across the years? I had the rear diff replaced in my '08 under warranty.
- Warranty - how well does Dodge stand behind them? Very well.
- Drivability in traffic, wet conditions? Gen 4 is fine. Gen 3 ehhh.....I wouldnt want to do it on a regular basis.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM
MTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really niceMTGTS is just really nice
Only part that I know of with a high fail % is the power steering bracket. After you swap this out with ones of the billet ones available you'll only have to open the hood when you change your oil.

The Gen 2 cars now are all @ least 10 years old. All the rubber bushings/mounts should be checked on a reg. basis as well.

The car is very easy to work on so anything you do end up having to swap/replace is pretty easy.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:49 PM
V-10 is on a distinguished road
I had a Gen IV ACR and the car was awesome! The car seemed bullet-proof and was a blast to drive even though I was a bit cramped since I'm tall. Insurance on the Viper was less than what I was paying for a ZR1. I miss the quick ratio steering the Viper has... a lot of fun in the corners.

Old 07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
wizness is on a distinguished road
had an 04 and now an 06...04 never had any problems at all. The 06 I've had less than a year has really only had the injector harness replaced...about 2000 bucks...no idea why it happened but I've never heard of any one else having that problem. Easy car to work on too.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:30 AM
spOILed will become famous soon enough
im going to be doing a clutch job in a few days on an 08, and im only charging the guy 800. from what i have done so far. its probably one of the easiest cars ive worked on. id say the r35 is more of a pain in the a$$.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:48 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
owned several Vipers and will purchase the Gen V next summer so that should answer your question right there! Drove my Gen IV ('09 coupe) down to ATCO dragstip in south jersey (2 hr ride in traffic 90 deg temp), ran about 25-30 1/4 mile runs, drove back witn AC blasting. Car will handle anything you throw at it. If you plan on staying stock Gen IV, going to mod '06 Gen III coupe.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:55 AM
elanderholm is on a distinguished road
I have an 08 acr and it's been bullet proof for me. It did drop an oil pump for the first owner which resulted in a grenaded engine. Dodge was great about it and put a new arrow balanced and blueprinted engine in it. It now makes about 640hp compared to the stock hp. You can get an extended warranty from chrylser for any viper that is very good and almost stupid cheap insurance. For my car with 13k miles it's about 1800 dollars and covers everything for 5 more years.

The other awesome thing about the ACR compared to comparable track worthy cars (Zr1, GT2 RS, etc) is the comsumables are very cheap. My 2 piece 14 inch rotors are $260.

I love the car. It's always an experience driving it. I actually daily drive it and do most of the basic maint myself...it's very easy if you can get it off the ground. It is very low.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dodge Viper - How are they for maint. ?