American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

New ZO6 is impressive check out this website.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 07:09 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Doug H
So what. Audi does great in its class. Doesn't mean I would run out an buy one. I did once buy a TT, but it was very dull and didn't last long. In fact, I took it back to the dealer and let it sit on the dealer's lot for over a year of my two year lease because I never drove it, did not want to keep insurance on it, and was so upside down I could not trade it so I just parked it at the dealers lot and escroed my remaining 13 payments.

I have driven the new Vettes except for this years model and I don't recall ever driving a Vette that had a tranny that felt as nice as a 996 tranny. You really don't believe that the Vette motor is as good as a Ferrari motor do you. Performance per displacement, sound and engineering in the Ferrari motors since the 355 models are works of art. Yeah, they can be a pain, but they are definitely works of art.

Its not so much the brand as I really don't like the way the car looks. The front end looks okay, but then again they copied Ferrari styling cues. The rear end still look bad.

BTW, I would have a GT40 and I own a GMC Yukon XL Denali so I am not opposed completely to American cars. And its not all about performance. If it was, no-one would buy Ferraris (except for the super Ferraris like 288 GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo).
So what you are the one that brought up the Chevy motor I was simply showing the fact the Chevy motor can't be too bad if they have been winning races with it.

Whatever dude I could care less what you like or buy I just think this is alot of car for the money.

Nuff said.

Old 07-15-2005, 07:31 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
I am looking foward to getting one.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:01 PM
JMT
JMT is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by KJM3SMG
I'll wait when it drops value by 30-40% in the first 6 months.. hehe...

Z06 and C6 used prices I have now seen for $38k hehehe..

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=y&cardist=588

I've seen C5 Z06s dip below $30k.

Maybe the C6 Z06 will keep value better while demand is high.. but it will drop like a CHEVY.. drop, LIKE A ROCK.

I bought a new 2003 TT X-50 from my local Porsche dealer in Sept. of 2003. My car listed for $144,000. I sold it a year and a half later (two months ago) on Ebay for $95,000. In that year and a half it lost $49,000. My car was in perfect, as new condition with only 9,000 miles on the odometer. I feel I got top dollar for my car as the dealer I bought it from wanted to buy it from me for $85,000. I have bought many new BMW's from them in the past so I believe he was sincere in his offer and statement. I have also watched Ebay for some time and I have not seen another go higher than what I got.

That being said, I could buy a 2006 C6 Z06. Pay list price of $69,000, sell it a year and a half later for $20,000. and still be ahead of the hit to my Porsche. However if I use your example I should be able to sell the Z06 for $48,300 at your 30% hit. That leaves a total loss of $20,700. This means that I would loose less than half the amount buying this piece of crap Chevy than I did on my Porsche, the finest car made.

Thanks for your post, I'm going to buy the C6 Z06 and just have fun.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:28 PM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
When I hear comments like "it's still a chevy", "not the same demographic" or "it's still not a Porshce"I wonder if those folks see beyond the badge at all. It's a stonking car, with a proven motor and not pathetically priced like our rides. I personally have owned 2 Porsches and although I love my TT, I want something different when I'm in the market next summer. Wallowing away in the same ride with the "nothing's better than Porsche" blinkers on seems bizarrely naive. And classifying cars like the Z06 to buyers of a "lower echelon" says a lot about someone.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:53 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally posted by buddyg
So what you are the one that brought up the Chevy motor I was simply showing the fact the Chevy motor can't be too bad if they have been winning races with it.

Whatever dude I could care less what you like or buy I just think this is alot of car for the money.

Nuff said.
No big deal one way or the other. Vette is just in a different class. Silly to compare full blown race cars to street cars. Vette may be good bang for the buck if you can get past the looks which are subejctive anyway. Although the gated shifter is awkward, drive a Ferrari 355, 360 or 430 manual and you will quickly see why a Vette costs about a 1/3 of what a Ferrari V8 does. Also find it difficult to believe that someone with a TT would go to a Vette unless their was financial motivations.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:38 PM
MANA is infamous around these parts
Also find it difficult to believe that someone with a TT would go to a Vette unless their was financial motivations.
Some of us just want to add another horse to the stable.

I also like Neopolitan Ice Cream. One flavor, to me, is pretty boring.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:55 PM
jwa
jwa will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Itzkirb
what a beast! Hmmm, M3 or Z06?
I don't think you can evan compare the M3 to the new Z06

the current M3 is slowly becoming out dated, while the new M3 is (IMO) going to be a boat and the added HP will be countered by the wieght + I don't like Bengal's designs

Old 07-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
No big deal one way or the other. Vette is just in a different class. Silly to compare full blown race cars to street cars. Vette may be good bang for the buck if you can get past the looks which are subejctive anyway. Although the gated shifter is awkward, drive a Ferrari 355, 360 or 430 manual and you will quickly see why a Vette costs about a 1/3 of what a Ferrari V8 does. Also find it difficult to believe that someone with a TT would go to a Vette unless their was financial motivations.
I will never put down a Ferrari, but the reason F-cars cost so much is not necessarily because they are actually worth that much more, it's just because a company like GM can produce cars for less than what it costs the Italians. Ferrari just doesn't build enough cars a year and is not a big enough company.

Look at Bentley. Prior to VW, Bentleys were 225k+ range - now we have the Continental GT and Continental Flying Spur both coming in the upper mid to upper 100s. Why? Cause big companies like VW build cars that cost less, and it doesn't mean sacrificing quality. The Continental GT IMO is a better built car is definitely more reliable than it's predecessors.

If I could, I would still pay full price for an F430 - but don't say drive both and you'll know why an 355/36/430 costs 3 times as much. I understand why, but it isn't because of how it's built.

-m

Old 07-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Marcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond reputeMarcus Frost has a reputation beyond repute
Also find it difficult to believe that someone with a TT would go to a Vette unless their was financial motivations.
Doug,

I was thinking about a 996TT and even though a new one would be a stretch for me, please stop with this holier than thou "must be a financial reason" crap. The 996TT is a better car, but I know a lot of people that have lost their *** on their 996s and want to have a supercar performer that they can not even worry about because it doesn't cost them $140k+. I can buy a Z06, lose %30, and I'll be okay. If I bought a 996TTS @ ~$150k and lose 30% - that would hurt. So call me cheap, you're only making yourself look foolish.

I don't understand why the ignorant opinion of someone who obviously can't appreciate a car that performs as well if not better than an F430 from the factory. I'm not talking about a modified Kia, I'm talking a FACTORY vehicle.

Stop the nonsense. No one is asking you to say it's better than the TT, or 430, or whatever, but give respect where it's due and quit pandering to ignorant stereotypes. I think enough fellow 996TT owners have posted in this thread for you to realize the stereotype doesn't hold water.

-m

Old 07-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The Vette is going to be great perfomer. Just don't plan on driving it more than 50,000 miles. By then the interior leather will be ripped and the car will look like and be worth 30K.

That's just reality. An old 911 is classic, an old corvette is just that.

That said, I am stongly consideirng leasing a Z06. Nothing like a 500hp rental.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 07-16-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:21 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I'm not a fan of American sport cars... but for the money.. the Z06 will be a steal. I will not buy one... cause I have other preferences... but one can, as I have on the porsche, spend $$$ on mods and it will kick ***.
breaks, suspension, stageXXX tuning and I guess the Z06 would be as fun as my TT.
just my thoughts

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Dude, Marcus, cool your jets. No reason to get personal and call people ignorant. I already said that the stereo type stuff (that others were saying) was more tounge in check than anything else. If you think I am a snob, so be it. I won't lose any sleep and I am not out to win any popularity contest, but you are taking my comments way to personal to get so worked up.

My statement was a bit ambiguous. I can appreciate someone keeping their TT and also buying a Vette (though not very logical for other reasons) to thrash about on the track. I just don't see someone jumping up and down to sell their TT and buy a Vette as their only car.

The TT is better all around car, same or better performance, has a back seat, looks better, great quality, so does not make sense to dump a TT for a Vette unless looking to reduce payment. Nothing more, nothing less. Geez, to much reading between the lines and assumptions.

I used to think Ferrari prices were unwaranted and was die hard P-Car dude until I spent some time in the F-Car. Totally different animal and very much worth the price. They are truly works of art. Vettes are crude and a lot of corners are cut to give you the most bang for the buck performance wise.

Maybe next year, Chevy will just drop a fiberglass shell of a Ferrari onto its chassis. I piped in because I think it is funny how much they are copying Ferrari styling cues.

Old 07-16-2005, 12:52 PM
carnut is on a distinguished road
I can't wait for next summer when the Corvette "blue devil" is expected to be released. It will be shocking to see some people still claiming that it's worthless cause it's a Chevy.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Haha, no one is claiming anything is "worthless." Jeez. You guys are too funny. I am only saying I would not buy a new Vette. Would I buy a Blue Devil, probably not unless they changed the looks a great deal.

I would own a Chevy Vette. I love the 1950s and the split window model. They look awesome. Those I would consider, just not the new ones. Then again, we are talking apples and ornages when talking old 1950s and 1963 Vettes v. new Vettes.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by ari
The Vette is going to be great perfomer. Just don't plan on driving it more than 50,000 miles.
And good luck getting quality service at the dealership.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New ZO6 is impressive check out this website.