American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Motor Trend Z06 Viper Gt Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Re: Re: Re: The C6 Z06 is very fast for a $66k car

Originally posted by Cerberus
This was posted on the Internet quick. I was just talking to the guys in the Z06 Sunday afternoon getting the blow by blows.

Personally, I am even more impressed by the Benz considering its a 4500+ lbs ultra luxobarge that can slay 99% of the sports cars on the road.
True, but would you really want to throw that 4500+ lb ultra luxobarge into a corner? Physics will catch up with you eventually.

That said, while the Z06 would make a great daily driver for some, I dont plan to use mine for that purpose...I see it as more of a specialty car. If I drove it every day, I'd get myself into trouble. The CL65 would be easier to drive every day.

Old 10-27-2005, 12:31 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi will become famous soon enough
CL65... Zzzzz

Old 10-27-2005, 12:41 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Re: Re: The C6 Z06 is very fast for a $66k car

Originally posted by SCvet00
The stock C6 Z and the CL were dead even up to 160, and at 165 the CL it started to pull.

The driver of the CL also stated that his car made 670 bhp and 900 ft-tq..Not bad for a stock chevy, eh?

Here is the video:

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....346FC&kw=2&p=0
Wowwww

Old 10-27-2005, 07:24 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Car and Driver just did a comparison between the Viper and Vette and the clear winner again was the vette.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:39 AM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by gdctus997
Respect? Why don't you guys go to google and type corvette recall and see what comes up. I beleive there has been a recall on every Vette for the last 10 or so years. Face it -- American auto cos make lousy cars. Ford sells a $150k supercar that was also recalled. Why? The same problem seen on recent Corvetts; the frame doesn't stay together. I respect cars that work, not fast cars that are poorly made.
You're bringing up recalls in a Porsche forum? Do the letters RMS mean anything to you? Cause they do to a lot of 986 and 996 owners.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:53 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by sticky
You are making it out to seem worse than it realy is. Everyone has recalls, but they are usually just a part or software update. In the Ford GT case it was serious as there was a problem with the control arms I believe. Porsche has recalls too you know, along with BMW and Mercedes.

The bottom line is that the lousy corvette will spank any porsche short of the carrera GT in performance and pretty much anything else out there, regardless of price. That is not saying that the corvette is better, but it is saying SOMETHING.

and to top it, the control arm problem was found on one of their 3 original test mules, that had logged A LOT of miles. Who knows if it would of ever occured again but Ford stepped to the plate and fixed it. But as you said. EVERY CAR has recalls. Their have been many people on this board who have owned trouble free vettes. Most of the people that use that as an excuse usually haven't owned one and just try to follow what everyone else says. BMW makes great cars don't they? Well 2 of the 5 new 7 series in my family have now been lemoned

Originally posted by tdf360
Now this part of the test surprises me...I would have figured the FGT fastest, certainly faster than the Viper. Hmmm.

Gary

Interestingly, the viper was the slowest in the other mags tests and the GT was the quickest

Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
Someone refresh my memory and tell me when Porsche has ever had a 911 of any kind that was faster in acceleration than the Vette.

I think the porsches have always been quicker with their turbo cars except until the Z06 came out. Well, and the ZR1.

Even then, a 996TT was about even w/ a 01-03 Z06

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 10-27-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:34 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by ColorChange
Car and Driver just did a comparison between the Viper and Vette and the clear winner again was the vette.

I did not know that C&D also came out with a comparison. Is this the newest issue of C&D? If so, can you post the performance numbers? Thanks

Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 AM
tdf360 is an unknown quantity at this point

Everything looks good for the Vette except the handling score...6 out of 10...not very impressive.

Gary

Old 10-27-2005, 09:24 AM
fast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to beholdfast pace is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by gdctus997
Respect? Why don't you guys go to google and type corvette recall and see what comes up. I beleive there has been a recall on every Vette for the last 10 or so years. Face it -- American auto cos make lousy cars. Ford sells a $150k supercar that was also recalled. Why? The same problem seen on recent Corvetts; the frame doesn't stay together. I respect cars that work, not fast cars that are poorly made.
Hey, hey now! If we're talking about luxury recalls, which the vette is now a part of -- luxury, what about the first batch of M3's? If I remember something about them they had a "little" trouble, nothing serious, just that the engine would blow up if you touched the rev limiter! Trust me I've seen it. Now I understand it's not a Chevy but come on do you really think every design made will hold up to some of the serious abuse shown here. This thread alone makes me want to get into the warranty business. Yet I doubt it would be worth it as Chevrolet actually commits to thier warranty if/when somethings goes wrong, any time, any race. Now in my opinion that is one hell of a stand up company. Close your eyes Porche loyalists! Unlike some other companies who play the look at what the car is capable of, but you can't do that with it!
(no offense to anyone who is in the aftermarket warranties industry, as well)

And as you may tell, I agree completely with HotRodGuy

Oh and FYI, I love any and all sports machines. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2005, 09:25 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
They said the car had a bad case of oversteer when they hit bumps at the track. This has not been a consistent criticism but certainly something to pay attention to, thus the 6/10 handling score.

This is from the brand new C&D.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:30 AM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
They said the car had a bad case of oversteer when they hit bumps at the track. This has not been a consistent criticism but certainly something to pay attention to, thus the 6/10 handling score.

This is from the brand new C&D.
Can you please post the performance numbers of the Viper and the Z from the new C&D?

Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Here is Automobiles review on the 3

and the video:

http://www.automobilemag.com/video/0511_z06_gt_viper/

Old 10-27-2005, 09:37 AM
thanks Hotrod..ya, that is the older issue. Not very good numbers from the cars, but atleast there was consistency.

Now, lets hear some C&D numbers from the new issue. I hate living in MI because we are always the last ones to get the newest issues..

Old 10-27-2005, 10:37 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Ok, well first off the C6 Z06 is making me more impressed day by day, what i dont understand is why enthusiasts always have to put a car down and basically say its hype.. The z06 i dont think should have any problems, its a na huge motor, interior maybe, exterior maybe and its too earlyt o tell but they did their HW and produced a monsterous machine at an amazing price..

Not pointing anyone out in general, just from what i see in every thread, so many narrow minded people.. But hey im still getting a 996tt

Old 10-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Cerberus is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Tahoe M3
True, but would you really want to throw that 4500+ lb ultra luxobarge into a corner? Physics will catch up with you eventually.

That said, while the Z06 would make a great daily driver for some, I dont plan to use mine for that purpose...I see it as more of a specialty car. If I drove it every day, I'd get myself into trouble. The CL65 would be easier to drive every day.
Agreed. Throw in a few corners and the CL65 would get buried by the Z. I plan to acquire a used C6Z in a year or so for a track car, since I would prefer not trash my Porsche. Sure sounds like fun!

Enjoy yours when it comes in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Z06 Viper Gt Review