American Muscle Everything from a Cadillac Escalade to a new Ford GT to a classic C1 Corvette

Motor Trend Z06 Viper Gt Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Originally posted by oak
I wonder how long the balsa wood they use for the floor pan will last?
A relative of mine actually manufactures the floor panels. If you think it is just balsa wood, think again. It is a processed panel with composites and thin metal. Super strong stuff and very light weight.

Old 10-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Cerberus is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
And which is the scalpel? I'd have to drive 'em and see, or take the word of someone I trust.
The GT3 of course, albeit one with a little suspension tuning.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Vitellius is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by gdctus997
same problem seen on recent Corvetts; the frame doesn't stay together.
Frames falling apart??? Can you back that up?

Old 10-27-2005, 03:12 PM
666 Z06 is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Periokid
A relative of mine actually manufactures the floor panels. If you think it is just balsa wood, think again. It is a processed panel with composites and thin metal. Super strong stuff and very light weight.
On the Z06 the floor panels are made of carbon fiber with a balsa core.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:46 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by Vitellius
Frames falling apart??? Can you back that up?
of course not, i mean did you read his other posts?

Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I give super props to the Z06. Given the new construction techniques it might not be a bad idea to look for a 2nd year production car though.....

It will never have the presence that a TT has IMO

The Vette might bite into 996TT resale prices

Old 10-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
BTW anyone know where to order a Z06 for sticker or less?

Old 10-27-2005, 07:08 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Go on corvette forums. Many of the dealers are taking new orders at MSRP

Old 10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
rico930 is on a distinguished road
Hi everyone
I can personally vouch for the testing done on these vehicles (as far as the dyno is concerned) as the person who conducted them. I have a very non biased look at testing all these cars for the various magazines (being a Porsche fan and never having the opportunity to test MY favorite cars!). It seems everyone favors one brand over another but these dyno tests were conducted with the utmost non bias or slanted approach. There were many tests conducted for each car and the average of all these runs was used for the results. All testing parameters were kept as close as possible so there would be minimal variation .I think a few people have said that not one thing defines a great vehicle but the fact of being well rounded and refined is the key. All of these cars have strengths as weaknesses and that’s what makes them all unique. It is the ability to overlook the weaknesses that make us all like or dislike a certain vehicle or brand etc. Now I must say that I am a hard core Porsche fanatic and love many types of cars. I get the opportunity to drive many "special" vehicles that are blazingly fast etc. due to the company I work for. Some of these are one off builds and I often get the opportunity to put them through the paces. Even after all these perks the thing that makes me feel better at the end of the day and relieve stress is a spirited ride in my 996tt. For those of you on this forum who own some of these “different†cars you know what I mean saying the Porsche just feels like a more refined vehicle compared to some others. Of course all of this is just my 2cent worth, thanks for listening.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:27 PM
SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !SCvet00 Is a GOD !
Numbers from this months C&D comparison

Here are the numbers:

Viper: 0-60=3.8; 0-100=8.5; 0-150=20.2
Z06 : 0-60=3.4; 0-100=7.8; 0-150=17.9

Viper 1/4=12.1@120
Z06 1/4=11.8@125

Viper: 120-0=422ft; 70-0=149
Z06: 120-0=416ft; 70-0=144

Skidpad
Viper: 1.01g
Z06: 1.01g

Lane Change:
Viper: 65.9
Z06: 65.8

Lap Times:
Viper: 1:27.5@82.3MPH
Z06: 1:26.0@83.7MPH

Old 10-27-2005, 10:45 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally posted by SCvet00
Numbers from this months C&D comparison

Here are the numbers:

Viper: 0-60=3.8; 0-100=8.5; 0-150=20.2
Z06 : 0-60=3.4; 0-100=7.8; 0-150=17.9

Viper 1/4=12.1@120
Z06 1/4=11.8@125

Viper: 120-0=422ft; 70-0=149
Z06: 120-0=416ft; 70-0=144

Skidpad
Viper: 1.01g
Z06: 1.01g

Lane Change:
Viper: 65.9
Z06: 65.8

Lap Times:
Viper: 1:27.5@82.3MPH
Z06: 1:26.0@83.7MPH
So impressive, wtf 3.4 0-60?!?!?

Old 10-28-2005, 08:22 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
C6 Z06 - UK's Top Gear Magazine Test

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

It took Chevrolet five years camping in the world's most famous race tracks (and a whole lot of investment) to come up with their fastest road car ever, the new Corvette Z06.

Named after a rare racing version of the 1963 Stingray, this über 'Vette will be on sale across Europe by the end of the year. It boasts some impressive stats, courtesy of the largest displacement small-block V8 ever produced by Chevrolet: try 3.7 seconds 0-60mph and a top speed of 198mph.

On this first and rather exclusive encounter with the Z06 - both on a track in Virginia and on the public roads around it - it soon becomes apparent that this is a more visceral Corvette than previous cars.

The larger grille opening makes this a front breather, whereas the regular C6 'Vette takes its intake air from below. Then there are the wider, carbon-fibre front wings, wider quarter panels to house the larger rear wheels, the quartet of trumpet-like machined exhaust outlets and the duck-tail spoiler to further reduce lift.

Other than that, it is pretty much the conventional low, long-nosed Corvette shape.

Once inside, the good news is that the steering wheel has shrunk 2cm in diameter, but the bad news is the lack of improvement in materials and finish. Considering that in this rarefied market segment, we Europeans will hardly settle for anything poorer than a few soft touch plastics and an excess of hand-stitched leather.

Still, a headup display, keyless entry and pushbutton ignition are standard, while a DVD satnav system (the first satnav offered in a Corvette), and seven-speaker Bose hi-fi are options.

There's fairly good in-car stowage in the doors and centre console, plus a whopping (for a supercar) 640-litre boot. In fact, by combining this functionality with the relatively discreet sound effects produced by the engine below 3,000rpm, Chevrolet has created a supercar that can almost be used as a daily commuter. Moreover, because economy verges on respectability (again for a supercar, at least), it's the first such extreme fun car to escape the American 'gas guzzler' tax, which adds $6,400 to the cost of owning a Lamborghini Gallardo, for instance.

The relatively light clutch pedal makes this a disarmingly simple car to drive too, and the steering is quick and communicative, but never frenetic. On the other hand, the weighty but precise shift action of the Tremec six-speed gearbox needs some getting used to, but to be fair, it is engineered to deal with the massive loads of torque on offer.

This is coupled to that Chevy small-block, now expanded to 7011cc and generating 512bhp and 470lb ft of torque - or 108bhp and 67lb ft more than the already very swift standard 'Vette has to offer.

The engine is nicely upgraded thanks to a co-development with the Corvette C6R Le Mans racer. That explains the titanium connecting rods and intake valves, and other lightweight components that help it now rev up to 7,000rpm.

The acceleration borders on cataclysmic: the Z06 blasts to 100mph in just over seven seconds and approaches the double-ton barrier like no product of the GM empire has ever done before. Keep your foot held down and the engine shows no sign of relenting.

The chassis provides an overall balanced feel, progressively releasing grip at either end, depending on how you play with the pedals. The car flows well over uneven asphalt and stays settled over corner bumps.

The conventional cross-drilled, ventilated brakes feature vast six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers and are convincing too, with no sign of fade. Ceramic brakes were considered too costly to fit as standard; as is the case with a Porsche 911, but these may be made available in the future (albeit for around £2,000 extra). Defying commonly held perceptions of such large and fast, all-American sports cars, the Z06 combines a degree of precision and refinement to the way it handles. What helps significantly is the fact that at 1,421kg, this is a relatively light car - especially impressive given the size of its engine.

The use of aluminium and carbon-fibre structural components in place of the steel of the regular 'Vette, plus a magnesium engine and suspension cradle, all assist weight reduction efforts and give an improved distribution of weight, too. The battery was even shifted back to the boot for this cause.

On the race track, it covers distance quickly, while retaining a reasonable margin of safety. The stability control system can be shut off or you can select a 'competition' mode that allows more slip before intervening than the fully active mode.

I start the first couple of laps round the 3-and-a-bit mile circuit with all the electronic aids on and then - as the knowledge of both the track and the car rise - turn it off, and then disengage the competition mode. Even the trickiest sections are handled with no major scares. And after a few hot laps the Z06 continues to feel stable and keyed in, all the way through.

Did I say 'hot laps'? Well, that's how it feels just after crossing the finish line a dozen times, already imagining headlines announcing a lap record pulverized by a non-professional driver and obviously a wasted talent.

But things are put into perspective after I sit next to Johnny O'Connell (Le Mans GT1 class winner with Chevrolet this year and involved in the production development of the Z06) and realise I had been barely doing warm-ish laps before he took to the wheel.

This ultimate incarnation of the Corvette provides its driver with the best of several scenarios. It's planted enough to massage the egos of most potential owners and their abilities, yet is comfortable enough to consider driving regularly in town.

And there's one further good reason for those with the means to seriously ponder buying one: the £60,000 price tag. Driven back to back with a Lamborghini Gallardo or a Ferrari F430, the Z06 would be every bit as rapid; yet you could buy yourself two of these for the price of either.

Joaquim Oliveira

For more, browse: http://www.topgear.com/

Last edited by ColorChange; 10-28-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:10 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by Ruiner
Dock isn't speaking against the 911 turbo. He is talking about the intangibles when driving a car. The "feel" that it sends through your body and the connection that it has with your mind. ANY car can be made fast with the right parts and engine. You can cut corners and build a fast car that will handle VERY well. I know plenty of people in my town that have 240's with engine swaps, suspension kits, and various other modifications that allow them to run incredible track times; much faster than my 911 turbo. However, do those cars give the same sense and feel as driving a 911 turbo? Maybe they do to that person and maybe they don't. To me, they don't and I think that is what Dock is getting at...

Sometimes there is more than just performance, horsepower, and times that make us buy one car over another.
Well, I have had a lot of cars, including 3 996tt, a 360 spider, a 360 coupe, an SL65 etc. I also just bought a new Z06 ( I had a 2001 Z06 which I hated and sold it in 24 hours. It was noisy, rode like **** and rattled everywhere). This new one rides like a 996tt, and is just as quiet inside. Chasis is very stiff with no rattles anywhere. In terms of "feeling", the Ferrari "feels" faster and more agile than anything else out there, but the Z06 does not "feel" any worse than a 996tt, but with more toys (XM radio, DVD touch-screen nav, HUD with 2 track modes, keyless start and entry, etc). My SL65 was faster than any of my modified 996TT's, and the Z06 is faster than the SL65. If performance is not the issue, why do we buy 996tt's? Might as well just buy GT3's (which I also had one) which is more agile and fun on the track.

I am not listing these cars to brag. Most of my friends have had more and more expensive cars than I have had, but I am just trying to say that I have no reason to pledge my allegiance to Chevrolet just because one of my cars is a Z06. I love all cars, have had many different brands, and I am just stating my opinion and driving impression. The Z06 is a comfortable daily driver that has as much comfort and convenience (actually more so) as a 996TT but with much greater speed.

I look forward to the 997TT. Hopefully it will be even higher performance now that Porsche has a new target to shoot for.

Old 10-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by terrence
If performance is not the issue, why do we buy 996tt's?
Well, for me performance was not *THE* issue...as in the *only* issue, or as in the *top* issue. There are many traits, including performance, that added up the Turbo being the best car in terms of what I was looking for. Some things about the Vette are just deal-breakers for me...the exterior looks, the seating position, the sight lines from the driver's seat...the lack of a rear engine (to name a few).

Originally posted by terrence
I look forward to the 997TT. Hopefully it will be even higher performance now that Porsche has a new target to shoot for.
I don't think Porsche considers the C6Z a "target" to shoot for...Porsche's targets?...Ferrari, Lambo, MB...

Old 10-28-2005, 11:58 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by gdctus997
I hope all you Chevy lovers are buying GM stock? That is what you should do when you think a company is so great. I guess it can't lose...
No, actually we will be buying Toyota since the stock value and the company's financial status must mean their Prius is fastest and best "feeling" car out there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Z06 Viper Gt Review