Should I make the jump!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:35 PM
tri
tri is on a distinguished road
Should I make the jump!?

Hi Guys,

I've always wanted an Aston ever since I first saw the Vanquish. However, from my research, I've found that they're not very reliable cars. I currently have an 06 Cayman S and an 06 E55. I've never had to make unwanted trips to the dealerships with these 2 which is the reason why I love them so much. However, it's time for the Cayman to be replaced by something I have been wanting for 2 years: a V8 Vantage Convertible.

Can actual owners chime in as to your experience with this car as well as your experience with the attitude of your dealership towards the problem?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-10-2007, 02:37 PM
vincenzo is on a distinguished road
Hi Tri,

I did some research as well in considering a Morning Frost White vantage coupe. From what I gather, Aston has made the Vantage its most reliable car ever.

First of all, Dr. Ulrich Bez, former Porsche boss, had moved to Aston while the DB9 was being designed, and before the Vantage was designed. I'm sure Dr. Bez enforced the importance of reliability.

Secondly, the Vantage was designed at a time when Aston had more economic resources to spend on research and development. Ford Motor Company poured millions of dollars into the brand, which allowed Aston to build a brand-new, state-of-the-art factory in Gaydon to conduct research and develop its cars.

Thirdly, the DB9 was launched first, followed by the V8 Vantage a few years later. The DB9 was launched first and was sort of a guinea pig. Aston used lessons learned from the earlier DB9's problems to refine the V8 Vantage before launch.

So really, you have nothing to worry about. I have spoken to many Vantage owners and they have not had any major problems. Some have mentioned minor quibbles, such as minor dash lights turning on. But these lights are usually turned off (for free) with a quick visit to the dealer, who often find that the light turned on because of something stupid, such as the gas tank lid not being closed properly. But no major problems, no major engine failure or major parts breaking.

And if I couldn't persuade you with my logic ... how about an irrational, emotional point?

Can you really say no to this beauty? Especially in Morning Frost White?

Last edited by vincenzo; 11-11-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:40 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I think the AMV8 in white is just stunning. I could overlook some random reliability issues for the looks alone.

Not an owner - but never say never.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Bobby G is on a distinguished road
I've said it before, but I'll repeat it. The AMV8 is the most beautiful car I've ever owned, and it's been reliable, comfortable, and a blast to drive. She does well in the canyons and as a cruiser. I'd imagine the convertible is just as fun. You live once. Do it.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:32 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
A friend of mine has a 06 Giallo Modena (special order Ferrari Fly yellow) V8 Vantage 6 speed manual and is using it as a daily driver. He loves the car, even when our roads are badly congested and in worst shape its highly comfortable to use and the sound is just intoxicating after 4,000rpm.I would highly reccomend it as a weekend car or even a daily driver.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Let's see ... here is the best example - girlfriend has a 2007 Cayman S - already a clutch recall by Porsche (leaking fluid, pedal to the floor). I have a 2007 Vantage - no problems or recalls. I agree w/ Vincenzo & others - AM is now a great piece. P cars are wonderful - I've had many - but they have an occasional oops too. I think once British Leyland was out of the picture - British cars greatly improved. I started this car thing w/ a 1970 MGB and later had a 1970 911E - what a difference - back then.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:35 PM
jjparkusa is on a distinguished road
Maybe just luck but my DB9 has been one of my most reliable cars, other than the soud system. I keep waiting for something but so far so good.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 PM
tri
tri is on a distinguished road
thanks guys,

i really appreciate the comments. looks like i'll have to stop by my local aston deal within the next week to find out where my emotions land. Thanks again!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vincenzo
Hi Tri,

I did some research as well in considering a Morning Frost White vantage coupe. From what I gather, Aston has made the Vantage its most reliable car ever.

First of all, Dr. Ulrich Bez, former Porsche boss, had moved to Aston while the DB9 was being designed, and before the Vantage was designed. I'm sure Dr. Bez enforced the importance of reliability.

Secondly, the Vantage was designed at a time when Aston had more economic resources to spend on research and development. Ford Motor Company poured millions of dollars into the brand, which allowed Aston to build a brand-new, state-of-the-art factory in Gaydon to conduct research and develop its cars.

Thirdly, the DB9 was launched first, followed by the V8 Vantage a few years later. The DB9 was launched first and was sort of a guinea pig. Aston used lessons learned from the earlier DB9's problems to refine the V8 Vantage before launch.

So really, you have nothing to worry about. I have spoken to many Vantage owners and they have not had any major problems. Some have mentioned minor quibbles, such as minor dash lights turning on. But these lights are usually turned off (for free) with a quick visit to the dealer, who often find that the light turned on because of something stupid, such as the gas tank lid not being closed properly. But no major problems, no major engine failure or major parts breaking.

And if I couldn't persuade you with my logic ... how about an irrational, emotional point?

Can you really say no to this beauty? Especially in Morning Frost White?

My goodness that is beautiful!!!!........except the license plate bracket

The paintjob from these pictures looks unbelievable. Congrats on a stunning ride.

Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
xxweisxxm6 is on a distinguished road
the warranty is good so once thats over get rid of it

Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
speednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of lightspeednme is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by xxweisxxm6
the warranty is good so once thats over get rid of it
why not just purchase an extended warranty?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:11 PM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
The V8 Vantage is a great car. I've had mine for 11 months and haven't had any real problems. I had a check engine light but it was remedied quickly by replacement of a emissions pump by the dealer.

The car is fast, handles well, and beautiful, with an entoxicating sound . I rarely see another Aston on the streets here in Chicago. People on the streets and in other cars react very positively to mine.

Get one - you know you really want it...

Old 12-10-2007, 02:42 PM
chrisfc923 is on a distinguished road
i've had mine since march and besides little querks here and there with the check engine light and various other lights i've loved it... that is until last month... i have sportshift and the car broken down in the middle of the highway at a light... apparently the tranny fluid was leaking from the back of the car and a warning light came on that told me that i could not shift out of gear... since i was stopped i could not shift out of neutral... the car in still in the shop as it took them 2 and a half weeks to get the tranny piece that was defective and another acouple of days to install and when they did all sort of warning lights came on... turns out it the new part was defective as well... now they need to order the part again and who knows when it will come in... more than a month without the car is fustrating... but besides all that i love it

Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
AndyZ is on a distinguished road
Am I the only one that thought this thread was about getting married after reading the title?

Anyway..I've never been fortunate enough to own an Aston Martin but I have friends who have experience with the cars and it has always been nothing but good.

You should go for it...you only live once..if you dont like it you can always sell it and get something else.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
clt8981 is on a distinguished road
go for it..or wait for your 2nd life..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I make the jump!?