Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Bye Bye Vanquish S (grandpa's)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 AM
HobbsE46 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Bye Bye Vanquish S (grandpa's)

My grandpa is getting rid of his VAnquish S. After 4 transmission failures, and other consistent issues with the car, he is getting rid of it.

AM has now provided an opportunity for him to get a DBS. So we have been discussing exterior/interior options.

Here is the Vanquish S at the old Crystal Cove Car shows in Corona Del Mar Ca.

Attached Images   
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I hope AM helped him with some of the car's issues !!!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Sounds like he is a glutton for punishment if he has the ***** to go buy yet another AM. I hope I am proved wrong but it seems Maserati, AM, and Range Rover are the worst when it comes to reliability.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
I hope AM helped him with some of the car's issues !!!
Long story short: AM offered to install a 6 speed manny for free, extend the warranty for 2 more years, and give him 10k. After all that, he was still rather unhappy and they are working on something in order to get him into the DBS.

PS-my grandpa is very patient, accepting, very chill, but this was getting a little ridiculous.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I am sure it was a PIA for hime but sounds like AM was really trying to help ... based on what I have read and what he had in his car the tip to manual trans conversion costs something like $40K ... and cash and extended warrenty ... they were trying to make him happy.

BTW - Porsche had some serious engine issues when 996 first hit the market (1999). They replaced quite a few engines - I believe they made good efforts to repair but certainly were not buying the cars back - parts suppliers do make mistakes (that was a casting issue) and certainly that is no excuse for the brand. That is a great reason to have a warrenty ... kinda sucks but reality w/ any world brand.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:28 AM
I think that he just had an unfortunate experience with this Vanquish. Another gentleman from the old Crystal Cove days had a Vanquish S too, he drove it almost daily and never had any issues.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Chris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud ofChris G has much to be proud of
Gorgeous yet expensive car. My buddy's father has / had one here in town. That car sounds like nothing I've ever heard. I don't think they had any problems with their but knowing them they prob. didn't drive it very often either.

Didn't Top Gear or another automotive site do a review on this car and had to get AM to fix the car like 3 times during the show? lol

Old 01-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Rockfreak300
Gorgeous yet expensive car. My buddy's father has / had one here in town. That car sounds like nothing I've ever heard. I don't think they had any problems with their but knowing them they prob. didn't drive it very often either.

Didn't Top Gear or another automotive site do a review on this car and had to get AM to fix the car like 3 times during the show? lol
I dont know if you guys remember, but either Car n Driver or Road n Track did the V12 Shootout about 3 years ago. The Vanquish S in the magazine (on front cover) was my grandpas. I believe it was in Death Valley. He has about 20 copies at his house lol

Just thought id throw that out there

Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
liftingismylife is on a distinguished road
he will love the DBS! definitely stick with AM and get the DBS.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:39 PM
ActionJaxon is on a distinguished road
Sad cuz its probably the sexiest AM ever...but atleast he possibly getting a DBS now.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for all the comments fellas. Ill keep you all posted on the situation.

Take Care,
Rob

Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
DBS= Morning frost white, interior Caspian blue with silver stitching.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:15 PM
brownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the roughbrownan is a jewel in the rough
Everyone I know with an AM has to have the patience of Job to deal with all the little stuff that goes wrong with them so unfortunately I'm not surprised to hear about your GP's Vanquish issues. In comparison a modern Ferrari like a 360 is as reliable and issue-free as an Accord. Odd that he'd double down on a DBS especially given the moderately absurd premium over a DB9 with the sport pack. They're lovely but $250k is the wrong price. Maybe he should get a CL65? I love AMs but I couldn't get over those issues and went with a 997TT in lieu of a AMV8.

Last edited by brownan; 01-24-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:21 PM
R53Mini is on a distinguished road
Gorgeous car! I'm fortunate enough to live near somebody who owns one and takes it out on occasion.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM
alexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
DBS= Morning frost white, interior Caspian blue with silver stitching.
damn,
pics?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bye Bye Vanquish S (grandpa's)