Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Test drove a Vantage today-My thoughts *Warning-long*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
Aston Martin is owned by by two Kuwaiti investment firms, Adeem inv and Al dar investment who are related to the Kuwait finance house bank.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:06 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by riverflyer
Not a bad write up, but for my .02 a bit rude. Why would you come to the AM site to **** on the car?
Personally, I have driven the 7TT and find it w/o soul and very sterile. I would not go the TT site and boast about it though, as my dear Mom always said, 'if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"!
John,

I wasnt trying to be rude at all. Go back and look at my initial post. I clearly sing the praises of this car's elegance, beauty and ability, more good than bad. Look at my second post...

Originally Posted by CarNerd
With that said however, the look and exhaust note of that Aston make is something truly special!
And honestly what are forums for if you can't express a well supported opinion. I for one, enjoy the back and forth of opinion on this forum and all forums for that matter. IMO it helps add more information to the field of automotive knowledge, and we all know that's what forums are for no?

If you dont like the 7 Turbo thats great. I for one would love to hear why as i cant find a dealership who will lend me a decent test drive, and am thinking of moving into one soon. Cheers bud!

Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 AM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Hey no problem, I am not one for getting into internet confrontations with people, seems a waste of time and bandwidth, but felt, well I said how I felt.

I test drove a 7tt and although it was my choice in colors and fully optioned, it left me feeling detached and unengaged. It was fast but so what? The dealer offered me $14k off sticker. I passed.

The Aston, almost every fcar I have owned and my old shool Porsche all have distinct personalities. They talk to me. We have a good time when we go driving
I just got back from an early morning romp in the Aston, and as I said, its not the fastest car on the road but its very engaging, super fun to drive and the design in saluted by young and old. Unlike some of my cars, every body feels interested and able to approach the Aston for some reason.
My intention is an 80-100lb diet and 50 more hp. At that point, the car will be an ideal cruiser/trip and canyon car.

Good thing we don't all want the same cars eh?!

ps, since you seem to enjoy speed, I will have some good reports coming soon on a car(red) that has enough juice to be impossible to hook up(even with 335 rears) and yet still turns a trap speed of mid 140's!

Last edited by riverflyer; 02-26-2008 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Hey no problem, I am not one for getting into internet confrontations with people, seems a waste of time and bandwidth, but felt, well I said how I felt.
I dont see so much as confrontation as a difference of opinions. Most on this forum know how to express and accept others opinions in a civil manner and i honest think that makes for good conversation. BTW in no way did i write the "review" with the intension of bashing the car. Again just giving my opinion. My apologies if it came of rude

I test drove a 7tt and although it was my choice in colors and fully optioned, it left me feeling detached and unengaged. It was fast but so what? The dealer offered me $14k off sticker. I passed.

The Aston, almost every fcar I have owned and my old shool Porsche all have distinct personalities. They talk to me. We have a good time when we go driving
That's a great point and i believe i'm looking for the same thing. Hopefully the GT3 can give me the best of both worlds (personality and performance).

I just got back from an early morning romp in the Aston, and as I said, its not the fastest car on the road but its very engaging, super fun to drive and the design in saluted by young and old. Unlike some of my cars, every body feels interested and able to approach the Aston for some reason.
My intention is an 80-100lb diet and 50 more hp. At that point, the car will be an ideal cruiser/trip and canyon car.
Let me know how the dieting and hp increase goes, this just maybe exactly what i'm looking for.

Good thing we don't all want the same cars eh?!

ps, since you seem to enjoy speed, I will have some good reports coming soon on a car(red) that has enough juice to be impossible to hook up(even with 335 rears) and yet still turns a trap speed of mid 140's!
Definitely! And looking forward to it! This "confrontation" has been a pleasure John.

PS. Your sig needs updating

Last edited by CarNerd; 02-26-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
riverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud ofriverflyer has much to be proud of
Bravo. I did not mean to insinuate that we were in confrontation but rather to point us in the same direction as you have wisely chosen.
Now the 7 GT3 is a different animal altogether and is a car I would enjoy having and probably will. I had some good seat time in the 996 gt3 and enjoyed it but not nearly enough to want to buy one.
I will be happy to report how the AM does with some good mods. Good talking with you, John

Old 02-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Bravo. I did not mean to insinuate that we were in confrontation but rather to point us in the same direction as you have wisely chosen.
Now the 7 GT3 is a different animal altogether and is a car I would enjoy having and probably will. I had some good seat time in the 996 gt3 and enjoyed it but not nearly enough to want to buy one.
I will be happy to report how the AM does with some good mods. Good talking with you, John
BTW, if you dont mind me asking, what kind of mods are you looking at doing to get 50 more hp and 100 lb less weight?

Old 02-26-2008, 02:26 PM
O' and if you ever get some good seat time in a 997 3, I'd be very curious to know how you compare the two, as I'm sure you'll get in one before i do.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by CarNerd
O' and if you ever get some good seat time in a 997 3, I'd be very curious to know how you compare the two, as I'm sure you'll get in one before i do.
Have been in and driven the 3 twice. Love the car, very similar in feel to the CS in many ways. Tight, fast, very predictable and wonderful all around car. I prefer the looks to the turbo as well. Now compared to the AM......no cigar.

I suspect you will love the 3 and would bet finding a willing owner in the bay area to get a ride/drive should be pretty easy. Good luck, let me know what YOU think.

As far as mods go, hi flo cats, rear boxes, ecu reflash, wheels(not sure how much the factory wheels weigh yet) for starters. Want to keep the warranty issue cool for now and also want the car to be reliable and workable in the deteriorating road conditions(thanks to the current admin). One of the things I really like about the v8 is the great ride quality on marginal roads and yet almost no body roll at speed. Balance is a good trade for power, as is weight.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Have been in and driven the 3 twice. Love the car, very similar in feel to the CS in many ways. Tight, fast, very predictable and wonderful all around car. I prefer the looks to the turbo as well. Now compared to the AM......no cigar.
Really, why so? Not as much character, connection to the road, comfort?

I suspect you will love the 3 and would bet finding a willing owner in the bay area to get a ride/drive should be pretty easy. Good luck, let me know what YOU think.
Will do!

As far as mods go, hi flo cats, rear boxes, ecu reflash, wheels(not sure how much the factory wheels weigh yet) for starters. Want to keep the warranty issue cool for now and also want the car to be reliable and workable in the deteriorating road conditions(thanks to the current admin). One of the things I really like about the v8 is the great ride quality on marginal roads and yet almost no body roll at speed. Balance is a good trade for power, as is weight.
Who do reflashes for Aston? I complete agree with the last sentence, unfortunately the Vantage is a tad on the heavy side. Any other ideas on how to get the weight down?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
all good opinions and I did not see a rude side - just good debate and food for thought. I am loving my Vantage ... yeah 7 GT3 would be interesting but I will hang w/ Aston and look at what pops w/ a "998". Had a heavily modded '03 996tt and 997tt just was no better - and they all are dropping in value. Something about new Pcars - just loosing their sole to the bean counters - should have kept that early RS clone !!! Now that was sole ... but then this is an Aston site ....

Old 02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
sole as in foot down love !!!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM
jchoice is on a distinguished road
I didn't really like the way my Vantage drove at first but it has really grown on me over the past year. It's different. It's not thrilling like the Ferrari but it's a nice drive, sporty, comfortable, beautiful, and stylish.

A few thoughts:

For me, it's a nice daily driver with just the right mix of comfort and sportiness. At first, I was bummed that wasn't more raw and responsive but over the past year, I've grown to really enjoy the comfort factor. I get plenty of raw and responsive out of my 360 and its obnoxious Capristo level 3 exhaust.

My shifter was HORRIBLE until they did some service update to it. It shifts REALLY well now. The difference is night and day.

I agree that the heel-toe shifting is a pain in the Vantage. I adjusted to it but it took a while.

The car isn't terribly fast but it does get going pretty good if you keep it in the higher revs.

I actually don't like the exhaust noise on the car. I think I'm the only one who doesn't.

Even when you think you entered a turn a little bit too hot, the car just sticks with poise.

I love the sound system.

The sunvisors and interior lights are useless.

Unfortunately, it says "Volvo" underneath the mirrors.

I love the nice little design touches that you don't necessarily notice right away: the tach and the speedo are symmetrical in 6th gear, the gas cap is beautifully finished, there is a shift light, the starter button lights up red when you push in the clutch, there is a bond-style rocket launcher button underneath the steering wheel.

If you are buying just one "fun" car, get the GT-3.

Of course, I'm kidding about the rocket launcher.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 AM
smiler51 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jchoice
I love the nice little design touches that you don't necessarily notice right away: the tach and the speedo are symmetrical in 6th gear, the gas cap is beautifully finished, there is a shift light, the starter button lights up red when you push in the clutch, there is a bond-style rocket launcher button underneath the steering wheel.
I totally agree with you. The AM just has so much soul which the Porsche is missing. I still can't understand why the sound of the Vantage doesn't do it for you? I think it is pure sex....

Old 03-12-2008, 11:00 AM
jchoice is on a distinguished road
Well, to me, it sounds good but it has a bit of an "American V8 rumble" to it. I prefer the wailing holy $h!t scream of my Capristo Level 3+hi flo cats on my 360. Now that's sex.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 AM
robbie is on a distinguished road
I believe it was Jeremy Clarkson who referred to 997 TT ''a VW with mustard on its bottom". Whilst I think that is to brash, it was his opinion.

AM desinged the Vantage to compete in line with the 997. The GT3 & 2 are purely purist vehicles in mind to be used on the track. Personally I would pass on the option of driving either vehicle up the coast from LA to SF unless my lumbar was made of titanium.

Each vehicle brings their own added intrinsic value to the table. I actually enjoy the idea of disliking a vehicle at first but allowing it to be more engaging as time progresses. That is an attraction in itself: Somewhat like courting a lady if you will who is not very engaging at first, but grow on each other.

The Vantage compared to the 997 is visually stunning. The aesthetics of the vehicle are of no comparison to the 997. However, from a reliability and performance standpoint, the Vantage is a dissapointment. It lacks in areas of additonal HP and weight.

The end comes only from driver feedback and satisfaction. I do believe that the Vantage driver is seeking the best of both worlds. Not a track vehicle but a unique GT vehicle that is satisfying to drive but is also capable of going out there and having some fun.

Last edited by robbie; 03-23-2008 at 02:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test drove a Vantage today-My thoughts *Warning-long*