Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

AMV8 power upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:52 PM
melmark is on a distinguished road
AMV8 power upgrades

I am very close to deciding on a the AMV8, but after a test drive, was rather disappointed with the power. I understand that this a common complaint. I had the good fortune to test drive the ESX supercharged AMV8 mentioned here on another thread, and WOW what a difference. A beast. However, this is another $22k added to the purchase price imo. Also considering an SL65 AMG, with enough torque to raise the Titanic completely stock.

So besides dropping $22k, what other mods have helped with substantially improving performance?

Old 08-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Moogle is on a distinguished road
There is the new AMV8 which has even more power... 4.7 liter... 420hp. 15% more torques.

For the price of the SL65 you can consider a DB9, which has a V12 and even more power than the new vantage at 470.

As for modding the vantage, supercharging is all you can do, but it is a very invasive procedure and most tuners do not have a great warranty.

All of this is considering that you don't really care about one of the Vantage/DB9's primary selling points - the looks and exclusivity.

Even at the Vantage's 130k~ price point, there are TONS of cars that have the power you desire but not the character. The 911 Turbo is one for example, also easily tunable.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Talk w/ Hershel HZ@RSC he offers a nice power kit (and his Vantage was the test mule) - love it on my car and not nearly $22k. What are you really after - exclusive, new design, HP, price? Not sure if your price points are the same either ... maybe pick up a '06/07 AM and mod it = AMG SL? The AMV8 and SL are totally different handling too - like Blvd cruiser vs canyon cutter. If you are just after HP for the dollar might check out a used Porsche 996TT - small mods easily put up 550 HP - and used P-car prices are low right now and lot's of aftermarket companies offering reliable mods. If you are only looking new, 997TT and of course best HP per $$$ is a Z06 - in the real world both would leave an AMG SL after the first corner. Then again in SOCAL you would see those 3 several times in a 5 block area ! Just a few thoughts and suggestions you may/may not have had ...

Old 08-31-2008, 01:32 PM
melmark is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Michael 996TT
Talk w/ Hershel HZ@RSC he offers a nice power kit (and his Vantage was the test mule) - love it on my car and not nearly $22k. What are you really after - exclusive, new design, HP, price? Not sure if your price points are the same either ... maybe pick up a '06/07 AM and mod it = AMG SL? The AMV8 and SL are totally different handling too - like Blvd cruiser vs canyon cutter. If you are just after HP for the dollar might check out a used Porsche 996TT - small mods easily put up 550 HP - and used P-car prices are low right now and lot's of aftermarket companies offering reliable mods. If you are only looking new, 997TT and of course best HP per $$$ is a Z06 - in the real world both would leave an AMG SL after the first corner. Then again in SOCAL you would see those 3 several times in a 5 block area ! Just a few thoughts and suggestions you may/may not have had ...
Exclusivity is sure nice, especially here in Newport Beach. Like you said, there is a bimmer, SL, and 996/997 at every stoplight. Not too many SL65's though. While the canyon carving abiltiy is always nice (and I know, because I have an NSX), I don't really get to many curves around here.The SL65 will slam you back into the seat like a carrier launch from a stop, and with just a chip mod, do 11.4 in the quarter mile.

There are several 07 low mileage AMV8's available for about $80k, as well as '05 SL65's. Not really a porsche fan, I'm done with 6 cylinder cars for a while. I'll contact RSC about their kit.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:42 PM
The RSC kit provides great sound and power (380 to over 420, I do not have actual figures) - I am going to guess not quite like SL65 on low end torque - AM V8 was simply not designed that way - more in the higher RPM (4500 +) but the sound ... nothing like it. With RSC kit - turn the AM TC off and it will burn some tires too ... I like the looks of the SL65 don't get me wrong but there are a few around here ... I have yet to pull up next to another AM ... and we have a dealer here ... just exclusive.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:57 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Looks and exclusivity are the two things that AM's can offer you in difference to most other cars in the price range especially if you consider a used or left over. Having said that, a Quicksilver exhaust alone brings you to 400 HP. That's a pretty hefty number. Trust me, I came from porsches including a 650+HP 996 turbo cab. You will not miss the power after driving this car for a little while. Also keep in mind, an SL65 doesn't look much different than any other SL. I had a CLS55 which had great thrust and torque. In the end I found it a little unsatisfying. Get a roadster with sportshift and add the quicksilver exhaust. Most dealers will do this for you for 1 hour of labor. But buy it at RSC for a better deal.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:05 PM
DynamicMotoring is on a distinguished road
Get the Quicksilver or Gruppe M Titanium exhaust(someone needs to buy the Gruppe M so we can hear it!!) Gruppe M intake kit, and ECU reflash from RSC. The sound will be amazing and you will be more than happy. The SL65 is a crazy car, but if you want a fun today, get the AMV8.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Get the Quicksilver or Gruppe M Titanium exhaust(someone needs to buy the Gruppe M so we can hear it!!) Gruppe M intake kit, and ECU reflash from RSC. The sound will be amazing and you will be more than happy. The SL65 is a crazy car, but if you want a fun today, get the AMV8.
Does anyone have data on the Gruppe M intake in terms of Hp gains and a picture of how the car looks after install. Their website is so-so. There is no info and no pictures after completion.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:58 AM
The exhaust is a basic design with stock style tips, power gains should be able the same or more than QS, and its titanium so it shouldnt weigh as much either.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
The exhaust is a basic design with stock style tips, power gains should be able the same or more than QS, and its titanium so it shouldnt weigh as much either.
What about the RAM induction? Power? Look?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Just for some comparison RSC is also out designing a Air Intake also (open/direct cold air flow - in other words the air flows faster the faster you drive, not a fan/ sucking system ... which brings up the difficulty on measuring on a static dyno) ... anyway not sure if RSC on the market yet ... I have heard the air flow adds a few HP on top end but requires some "tuning" to get the benefit ... it makes good engineering sense, just expensive to measure

Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally Posted by jaymoney
What about the RAM induction? Power? Look?
We had the ram air setup come through, its pretty cool looking. Look like it would add some HP by directing air in the right direction and cleaning up the pathway. The engine cover was really nice too.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:12 AM
stearnsn is an unknown quantity at this point
Michael, have you had a chance to put the car on a dyno yet? Any isues with the reflash yet?

I am seriously considering the same upgrade but can't help but be a little skeptical about the benefits. When the factory went about the upgrade for the N24 they modified the ECu and put in a free-flow exhaust and air filter but also included lightened and balanced crankshaft, con-rods and pistons. The cylinder heads were re-profiled to optimise compression ratio and gas flow as well. The result of all of this factory tuning is 410bhp at 7500rpm – a 30bhp increase over the standard car. How can RSZ get 10 more HP with only an exhaust and reflash?

Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 PM
With the factory bottom end being changed, they didnt really gain power, but made the car rev quicker. Same effect as a lightweight flywheel. I would still like to see a comparison dyno between stock and with the RSC package.

Hershel, hook it up!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Envy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond reputeEnvy has a reputation beyond repute
Ram air thing has been around for awhile on other cars and it does help, as this being my first post I won't try to sound too stupid. But tuning them isn't too hard you just have to log a few hours in the car and set the air fuel mapping right. Not everything can be shown on the dyno, only way to really show how that works is to put a dyno in a wind tunnel and make them work together. Makes the car work less hard, that is for sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMV8 power upgrades