Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

DB9 - Brakes Soft?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
DB9 - Brakes Soft?

I find that my new-to-me DB9 has what I consider 'soft' brakes. The initial press seems to have little or no reaction, so you press a little harder and then, wham, the brakes bite pretty agressively.

Personally, I like brakes that have immediate effect and are very linear. My Infiniti G35 had such brakes, while my Acura MDX and TSX, and Honda CR-V all exhibit to one degree or another the 'softness' like the DB9. The worst was the MDX.

Any way, I'd like to know if this is 'normal' for a DB9 (or V8V) or if there might be some issue with the brakes on my particular car.

Thanks

Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
Other thing to check - when were brakes last bled ? I do not have a "soft" pedal per your description on my V8V ... I also track my car and have upgraded the fluid (higher temp) and have a "brake cooling" kit installed .... but did not have a "soft" pedal when new either ... just after many laps on track

Old 09-05-2009, 11:10 AM
mcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nicemcr_driver is just really nice
+1 on when the last brake main. was done might be time for some fresh fluid...

Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
My DB9 doesn't have what I consider soft initial bite. BMW's and my Charger (Brembo) have great bite, but I wasn't in love with my ex-Turbo bite and tried a few things to make it better. It didn't work and I wasn't interested in changing the brakes. Changing fluid and bleeding is step one. Checking the pads and making sure they weren't glazed is #2.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Holson is on a distinguished road
The V8V that I bought has excellent pedal feel, definitely not soft like a Corolla or something. It's a lot like a 911 (which I feel has excellent+++ pedal feel). But it does have new brakes all around.

I did drive one that was a bit soft though...

Probably just needs to bleed the air out.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:33 PM
cherzra will become famous soon enoughcherzra will become famous soon enough
Bleed the brakes and change the lines if necessary.