Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Clutch replacement $10,000??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 07:22 PM
ArnoldK. is on a distinguished road
Is this for the dreaded SportShift clutch problems or for a standard 6MT replacement?

Old 07-24-2010, 08:51 PM
joeyrotorhead is on a distinguished road
my brother had a Vanquish, and he just about had to get a 2nd mortgage on his house to keep it on the road... sexy as hell but was not impressed with the reliability

Old 07-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by joeyrotorhead
my brother had a Vanquish, and he just about had to get a 2nd mortgage on his house to keep it on the road... sexy as hell but was not impressed with the reliability
Yeah, the Vanquish is a beast but the servicing is absurd. If you can afford to run one you probably finance revolutions in your spare time!

The Vantage is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:58 PM
SigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC
Yeah, the Vanquish is a beast but the servicing is absurd. If you can afford to run one you probably finance revolutions in your spare time!

The Vantage is a different kettle of fish altogether.
ha ha the financing revolutions in your spare time bit had me laughing out loud in my office... lol people must of thought i was loony!

Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 PM
lawsut is on a distinguished road
So my clutch is slipping, my 07 AMV8 has 69k miles (yes it is my daily driver).
Looking for the part to buy. Are there any other parts that I need to buy and replace?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:59 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
how many of you leave the clutch depressed and in 1st gear at a stop light?
how many give the revs over 2k and release very slowly to start out?

just curious... the clutch in the AM should last many miles. however almost all clutches are abused in my opinon. the should not really wear at all unless you are in stop and go traffic every single day.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:15 AM
jroback is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lawsut
So my clutch is slipping, my 07 AMV8 has 69k miles (yes it is my daily driver).
Looking for the part to buy. Are there any other parts that I need to buy and replace?
Lawsut: did you buy it new? I bought my V8V in November with 7500 miles. I've already put 6500 more on it as my DD. I'd be ecstatic if I could get over 50k miles with that first clutch!

I have been super careful so far. I pull away from stops slowly, minimizing the revs when the clutch is engaged. Never leave it depressed for more than a second or two.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jroback
Lawsut: did you buy it new? I bought my V8V in November with 7500 miles. I've already put 6500 more on it as my DD. I'd be ecstatic if I could get over 50k miles with that first clutch!

I have been super careful so far. I pull away from stops slowly, minimizing the revs when the clutch is engaged. Never leave it depressed for more than a second or two.
Thats still a problem. the clutch should never be depressed more than 1 second on release, and subsecond any time else. you do that, and you will double the life of the clutch and associated parts. there is no reason why these clutches cant go for 100,000miles easy!!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:41 AM
V12V will become famous soon enough
Don't forget the wear when backing up. That eats up clutch life as well.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by V12V
Don't forget the wear when backing up. That eats up clutch life as well.
not unless you are backing up a hill and are careless with the throttle, even still.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Lol, got my ss car with 25k miles, after 2 weeks the clutch went. $3.5k later, I have a new clutch. Worst part of the car by far.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:43 PM
what's failing on the clutch? the smell if you rev the engine and let the clutch out , is pretty strong and happens easy, so im thinking it sheds the clutch disc materal.
is the pressure plate losing spriing pressure, TOB? or is it the clutch disc and the pad material.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:44 PM
what's failing on the clutch? the smell if you rev the engine and let the clutch out , is pretty strong and happens easy, so im thinking it sheds the clutch disc materal.
is the pressure plate losing spriing pressure, TOB? or is it the clutch disc and the pad material?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Ellipsis is on a distinguished road
FYI I'm a pretty new owner and these clutch stories scare the **** out of me. Car only has 5k miles on it, but from what i've read on these forums it can still fail depending on how it was treated earlier in it's life. All I keep on thinking about is when it was delivered the car smelt of burnt clutch from the truck driver

Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ If you don't buy new, you are always at the mercy of how it was treated by the previous owner(s). It's no different for any other brand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement $10,000??