Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

If All You Could Afford Is 1 Upgrade - Vantage 4.3L

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 PM
macksamus will become famous soon enough
If All You Could Afford Is 1 Upgrade - Vantage 4.3L

Hi -

Was hoping to get some good opinions from the group. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a '07 Vantage and will more than likely only have enough $$ to do 1 upgrade at the time of purchase...with the next upgrade possible in about 6 months time

That said, what's most important to me is increasing the low to mid-range torque and also making the car quicker off the start. So what do folks suggest?

1. Factory Power Upgrade
2. RSC ECU Reprogram
3. High flow cats (just relocated to CA, so this might not be an option from what i'm reading)
4. Exhaust

Given that it will be some time before I can do another upgrade, is there a particular order i should follow so as to get the most out of a single upgrade?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by macksamus; 08-04-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
the best one alone might be the cats, i had the ecu done alone and didn't really feel much of a difference.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM
thanks zambono - just to be clear, did you have the RSC ECU Reprogram done? or did you have the ECU done as part of the Factory Power Upgrade?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by macksamus
Hi -

Was hoping to get some good opinions from the group. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a '07 Vantage and will more than likely only have enough $$ to do 1 upgrade at the time of purchase...with the next upgrade possible in about 6 months time

That said, what's most important to me is increasing the low to mid-range torque and also making the car quicker off the start. So what do folks suggest?

1. Factory Power Upgrade
2. RSC ECU Reprogram
3. High flow cats (just relocated to CA, so this might not be an option from what i'm reading)
4. Exhaust

Given that it will be some time before I can do another upgrade, is there a particular order i should follow so as to get the most out of a single upgrade?

Thanks in advance
Sportshift or Manual?

Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Hi Stuart - manual

Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Hi Stuart - manual
Okay, was going to suggest SS remap if it was a SS. Cats is maybe not a bad way to go - nice improvement to the exhaust note, +20BHP...

Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
I have RSC ECU, i now also have RSC cats and exhaust, sounds good can't say as to performance. I haven't been out with it yet.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:33 PM
ok; sounds like cats it is. and just to be clear, i wouldn't be losing any torque, right? the AM salesman i spoke with thought that cats would result in less torque given the unrestricted airflow. i'll admit not knowing the mechanics behind most of these upgrades....

lastly, how would you compare the Larini cats vs. the RSC cats. they appear to be priced about the same, but i'm not sure whether Larini offers a longer warranty than just the 3 years that come with the RSC product.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 PM
Former Vendor
ok; sounds like cats it is. and just to be clear, i wouldn't be losing any torque, right? the AM salesman i spoke with thought that cats would result in less torque given the unrestricted airflow. i'll admit not knowing the mechanics behind most of these upgrades....

lastly, how would you compare the Larini cats vs. the RSC cats. they appear to be priced about the same, but i'm not sure whether Larini offers a longer warranty than just the 3 years that come with the RSC product.
There's no torque loss, you should be picking some up. Mid-range feels better with these fitted. Not as much as the ECU map produces but it's noticeable. Just for clarity, our warranty on workmanship and corrosion is 25 years, same as our exhausts. We will extend the warranty longer on the substrate depending on the situation. For example, if you're running our ECU map (the standard mapping is rich and harder on the catalysts, also, worn thermostats at the 3-4 year mark can cause cold, rich running.)

Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 PM
thanks everyone for your input....

Stuart - can you recommend a shop in N.California that i could order through and have the installation done when the time is right? i live in silicon valley (los altos, CA 94022)

thanks!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
As others have said, 2 and 3 are definitely your best bang for the buck. I was a holdout on cats until mine went kaput, but now I'm a believer.

I'd like to support the AM power kit, but I think the RSC ecu tuning will give you more power for less money.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
My car is still under warranty. When I asked about changing the cats, they said that AM will likely deny any warranty work if the engine goes.

Any concerns about this?

Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 PM
sgt d is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zambono
the best one alone might be the cats, i had the ecu done alone and didn't really feel much of a difference.

do you have a sound clip yet on the cats and touring set up? curious to hear the combo.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
klittlehale is on a distinguished road
I have on 07 manual AMV8 and decided to go with the AM sport suspension as my first upgrade-- since I track the car I thought it was the best bang for the buck improvement. I have been very pleased with that upgrade-- a very obvious improvement with the handling. I had the install done by Los Gatos Luxury Autos and was very pleased by the service. I am almost out of warranty and will be looking for service alternatives as well in silicon valley. I have had good service from the dealer, yet I want to look at other options as well. Hopefully someone will post a referral.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:35 PM
GT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant futureGT650-25 has a brilliant future
Sound CLiP

Here is the sound clip of my car

Cats, ECU and Sport Exhaust from RSC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3M1cncpS-k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If All You Could Afford Is 1 Upgrade - Vantage 4.3L