6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Does your AMV8 brake squeal? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/230459-does-your-amv8-brake-squeal.html)

mdc 12-01-2010 07:34 PM

Does your AMV8 brake squeal?

Hi all, does any one here has the same problem? We did not have any problems for the first 1.5k miles, now it is making high pitch squeal coming to to stop sign, red light etc. it is more than annoying at this point ; [, please feel free to share if you have any solution. Thanks

seattle_sun 12-01-2010 08:05 PM

Have you de-glazed the brakes? If you are driving mostly city, the brake pads glaze over. Drive to relatively higher speed and hit the brake hard.

mdc 12-01-2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by seattle_sun (Post 3055346)
Have you de-glazed the brakes? If you are driving mostly city, the brake pads glaze over. Drive to relatively higher speed and hit the brake hard.

Thanks, I will try that. It is a daily driver to from work, all surface road driving only.

astondude 12-02-2010 03:19 AM

My car had the same problem but it was fixed under warranty. Apparently, it is a common problem with the brake squeal especially when it's cold. I think the dealer put some shims or something but no new pads. I'm not sure if they put some anti-squeal brake compound.

Swoody 12-02-2010 07:01 AM

A little bit....when cold out. It seems though after they are warmed up it stops.

flinder 12-02-2010 08:23 AM

Won't solve dust problem

Under warranty your dealership tech will remove your OE brake pads. He will then apply an extremely thin double backed foam pad to their back sides and reassemble them...problem solved. If they glaze, as described above, a slight squeel will reappear, but nothing like what you are experiencing now.

Michael 996TT 12-02-2010 12:13 PM

I think flinder has the correct comment - actually vibration of pad when brakes applied that causes the "squeeeel" - seems to be more common w/ cars that are not driven daily. Applying the material (there are various types that work) between back side of pad and cal/piston should stop the sound. This is common and should have been done by the dealer - or did you use someone else? Who ever installed, this material is the norm .... I had same issue w/ P-cars too.

Red Devil 12-03-2010 05:42 PM

Same problem here on a DB9. I had the service bulletin work performed and it worked for a while, but now it's back. Mostly light pedal and low speed. The SA said I should try a couple of bedding in runs, which I'll do one of these days.

mdc 12-30-2010 11:38 PM

brake squeal - no fix

They suggest harder braking... I am considering headphone while driving.

Red Devil 12-31-2010 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by mdc (Post 3081199)
They suggest harder braking... I am considering headphone while driving.

"harder braking" is just another example of manufacturers refusing to step up and fully address a problem. That bothers me more than the actual squeal ...

007 Vantage 12-31-2010 10:02 AM

Most of my squeel is coming from the rears. Replacing my brake pads with carbotech 1521 compound in the next few weeks. I will be doing full writeup on it, but i truly think it will cure all my squeel problems. More updates coming soon...
________
IHNO

scottblack 12-31-2010 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Swoody (Post 3055607)
A little bit....when cold out. It seems though after they are warmed up it stops.

Same here. Of course, it does not get cold too often in Texas!