Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Does your AMV8 brake squeal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Does your AMV8 brake squeal?

Hi all, does any one here has the same problem? We did not have any problems for the first 1.5k miles, now it is making high pitch squeal coming to to stop sign, red light etc. it is more than annoying at this point ; [, please feel free to share if you have any solution. Thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Have you de-glazed the brakes? If you are driving mostly city, the brake pads glaze over. Drive to relatively higher speed and hit the brake hard.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by seattle_sun
Have you de-glazed the brakes? If you are driving mostly city, the brake pads glaze over. Drive to relatively higher speed and hit the brake hard.
Thanks, I will try that. It is a daily driver to from work, all surface road driving only.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:19 AM
astondude is on a distinguished road
My car had the same problem but it was fixed under warranty. Apparently, it is a common problem with the brake squeal especially when it's cold. I think the dealer put some shims or something but no new pads. I'm not sure if they put some anti-squeal brake compound.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Swoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really niceSwoody is just really nice
A little bit....when cold out. It seems though after they are warmed up it stops.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Won't solve dust problem

Under warranty your dealership tech will remove your OE brake pads. He will then apply an extremely thin double backed foam pad to their back sides and reassemble them...problem solved. If they glaze, as described above, a slight squeel will reappear, but nothing like what you are experiencing now.

Last edited by flinder; 12-02-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Make addressees general
Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Michael 996TT will become famous soon enough
I think flinder has the correct comment - actually vibration of pad when brakes applied that causes the "squeeeel" - seems to be more common w/ cars that are not driven daily. Applying the material (there are various types that work) between back side of pad and cal/piston should stop the sound. This is common and should have been done by the dealer - or did you use someone else? Who ever installed, this material is the norm .... I had same issue w/ P-cars too.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Same problem here on a DB9. I had the service bulletin work performed and it worked for a while, but now it's back. Mostly light pedal and low speed. The SA said I should try a couple of bedding in runs, which I'll do one of these days.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 PM
mdc
brake squeal - no fix

They suggest harder braking... I am considering headphone while driving.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:53 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mdc
They suggest harder braking... I am considering headphone while driving.
"harder braking" is just another example of manufacturers refusing to step up and fully address a problem. That bothers me more than the actual squeal ...

Old 12-31-2010, 10:02 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Most of my squeel is coming from the rears. Replacing my brake pads with carbotech 1521 compound in the next few weeks. I will be doing full writeup on it, but i truly think it will cure all my squeel problems. More updates coming soon...
________
IHNO

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:52 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Swoody
A little bit....when cold out. It seems though after they are warmed up it stops.
Same here. Of course, it does not get cold too often in Texas!