Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

4.7 nurburgring lap time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:48 PM
spamv8 is on a distinguished road
4.7 nurburgring lap time

As I have recently upgraded from the 07 vantage to a new N420 and I was curious on how well it did on the nurburgring. I was shocked that I couldn't find any information on the 4.7 lap time. Does anyone have this information?
As you can see below the 4.3 did it in 8.03 which curiously is quicker then the R8 and E93 M3.

7:56 Porsche 911 Turbo Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (06/2000)
7:56 Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale f1 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (02/2004), Sport tires[citation needed]
7:56.773 Honda NSX-R NA2 Motoharu Kurosawa Best Motoring video "Carrera Invasion",2002
7:59 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51 Dave Hill General Motors conducted test[citation needed]
7:59 Cadillac CTS-V (2009) John Heinricy 9 May 2008 General Motors conducted test,[44] video confirmed[45]
7:59 Porsche 911 Carrera S Walter Röhrl 'Wheels' magazine (06/2004), PASM setting "Performance"[citation needed]
7:59 Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 V-Spec Dirk Schoysman 1996 Best Motoring - Time Attack / Autocar magazine 97, stock[citation needed][46]
7:59 Dodge Viper SRT-10 November 2005 Motor Trend[citation needed]
8:01 Nissan Skyline GT-R R33 Motoharu Kurosawa Best Motoring - Video Special DVD Series, Prototype (weight/horsepower different from production car)[citation needed]
8:02 Mercedes CLK 63 AMG - Black Series Autobild (07/2007)
8:02 Aston Martin DBS Horst von Saurma Sport Auto [47]
8:03 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (2005)Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (10/2005
8:03 Porsche 911 GT3 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (08/1999)
8:03 Honda NSX-R (NA1) Motoharu Kurosawa Best Motoring (02/2006), Omit the safe equipment model: No Airbags, No ESC, No Spare tire[citation needed]
8:04 Audi R8 V8 Sport Auto (07/2007)[48]
8:04 Porsche Cayman S Walter Röhrl Sport Auto, 19 inch wheels, ceramic brakes.[citation needed]
8:05 BMW M3 E92 Horst von Saurma Sport Auto (12/2007)[49]
8:06 Subaru WRX STi Spec-C Motoharu Kurosawa Best Motoring Video 'NISMO Beast Unleashed'[50]
8:07 BMW Z8 E52 Autobild (06/2001)
8:09 Audi RS4 Sport Auto (06/2006)

Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
how much of a difference do you feel between the standard 07 and the N420? (both in acceleration, handling, suspension, braking etc)?
________
Lesbian Cams

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
spamv8 is on a distinguished road
haven't had a chance to really check the handling difference but I can feel a real difference in bottom end torque. It really moves from a standing position where the 07 felt slower. I do think the RSC upgrades (ECU/CATS/exhaust) I had on my 07 closed the gap but the torque was missing

Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 AM
DocN is on a distinguished road
You have to take that 8:03 with a grain of salt. I think, 8.10 would be more realistic for the 4.3.

Horst von Saurma, the driver who does all the Sport Auto Supertest laps, is a huge Aston Martin Fan and closely related to the AM people at the ring.

I guess the 4.7 would be good for a 8.05 with the right tires.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DocN
You have to take that 8:03 with a grain of salt. I think, 8.10 would be more realistic for the 4.3.

Horst von Saurma, the driver who does all the Sport Auto Supertest laps, is a huge Aston Martin Fan and closely related to the AM people at the ring.

I guess the 4.7 would be good for a 8.05 with the right tires.
Hmmm, then even more impressive is the fact that the V8V 4.3 is only a second slower than the DBS.

What should be said about the cars that are tested by manufactures drivers then Doc? Are you implying that AM lied?

Old 12-31-2010, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
What should be said about the cars that are tested by manufactures drivers then Doc? Are you implying that AM lied?
First, Manufacturers drivers are far more experienced with their own cars than any journalist will ever be.

I am not implying that AM lied, because afaik AM never claimed the Vantage 4.3 to lap the ring in 8.03 min. Nor the DBS in 8.04 min. These lap times are taken from the "Super Test " published by german car magazine "Sport Auto". The drivers name is Horst von Saurma.

Horst von Saurma normally does only one in-lap, a hot-lap and an out lap for a "Super Test". On a 21km circuit. Thats about it. How can you get the best out of a supercar with only 3 laps ? Make your own picture...

Furthermore, the same driver, Horst von Saurma, was also driving the N24 race car on slicks in the VLN endurance series at the ring. His best lap time was actually SLOWER than that with the 4.3 road car Make your own picture...

Lap times at the ring is a story of its own. Its in fashion these days for Manufactures to post their fabulous times when launching a new sporty model. Like Nissan did with the GTR... Unfortunately the GTR time is impossible to achieve on road legal tires with just 480 hp. Its an open secret that this specific GT-R had more like 600 hp and was running on slicks.

PS: Did I mention that I love my Vantage ?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:23 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Sport Auto Super Test translation

3.5 years ago on my second visit to my local AM dealer the salesman gave me a reprint of the 11 page Sport Auto magazine Super Test. AM had had it translated and reprinted on the slickest, finest paper man has ever created.

No doubt the 8:03 Nordschleife result was fantastic, but the balance of the test on the Hockenheim track plus acceleration, wind tunnel, lateral acceleration, slalom, evasive manoeuvre, and wet weather handling tests backed up the 8:03 and lead the aforementioned Horst von Saurmer to conclude the Vantage "...was the surprise package of the 2005 motoring year. Almost from nowhere the super sports car that is easy to handle in everyday life...it performs the major and minor operations faultlessly."

Horst stated Vantage was in the "superior circle of Porsche contenders" and"...experienced sports car drivers will hardly be able to refuse''.

What a fabulous selling tool!

Old 12-31-2010, 07:39 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Lap times at the ring is a story of its own. Its in fashion these days for Manufactures to post their fabulous times when launching a new sporty model. Like Nissan did with the GTR... Unfortunately the GTR time is impossible to achieve on road legal tires with just 480 hp. Its an open secret that this specific GT-R had more like 600 hp and was running on slicks.

Hoooolllly crap... People still believe this?

You've got to be kidding...

Wake up, dude. Scroll on down to the stock GT-R HvS got with a 7:34 (8 sec delta from Nissan's claimed time - less delta than Porsche's 911Turbo claimed time, among others).

I don't put too much stock into these claims by anybody. It is just another gauge.

Last edited by jaspergtr; 12-31-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:03 AM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
I thought I remember reading that the 8:03 lap was on r compounds. And isn't the VLN series races on both the Nordschleife and the sprint circuit? The vantage time is only for the nurburgring.

First, Manufacturers drivers are far more experienced with their own cars than any journalist will ever be.

I am not implying that AM lied, because afaik AM never claimed the Vantage 4.3 to lap the ring in 8.03 min. Nor the DBS in 8.04 min. These lap times are taken from the "Super Test " published by german car magazine "Sport Auto". The drivers name is Horst von Saurma.

Horst von Saurma normally does only one in-lap, a hot-lap and an out lap for a "Super Test". On a 21km circuit. Thats about it. How can you get the best out of a supercar with only 3 laps ? Make your own picture...

Furthermore, the same driver, Horst von Saurma, was also driving the N24 race car on slicks in the VLN endurance series at the ring. His best lap time was actually SLOWER than that with the 4.3 road car Make your own picture...

Old 01-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Hoooolllly crap... People still believe this?
You've got to be kidding...

Wake up, dude. Scroll on down to the stock GT-R HvS got with a 7:34 (8 sec delta from Nissan's claimed time - less delta than Porsche's 911Turbo claimed time, among others).

I don't put too much stock into these claims by anybody. It is just another gauge.
No kidding.

Are you actually driving on the Ring yourself or just on the Playstation ?

I did some 1000 laps there and I know for sure that the lap time Nissan claimed is impossible with stock hp and street legal tires. Even friends of mine with a lot of ring experience driving 500hp+ GTR's do agree that this lap time is impossible.

Since you mention the delta between Horsts lap time an the Nissan lap time, who told you that the Super Test car was stock in any aspect ? All those press cars are not stock. Wealthy engines, tweaked suspension etc. etc.

As I said, take the "Super Test" lap times with a grain of salt...

Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by maroli
I thought I remember reading that the 8:03 lap was on r compounds. And isn't the VLN series races on both the Nordschleife and the sprint circuit? The vantage time is only for the nurburgring.
I already subtracted the GP course ("Kurzanbindung") lap time so its actually comparable.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by flinder
What a fabulous selling tool!
Exactly. Place a lot of ads in the mag and get good reviews. Let the journos drive with factory race cars for free and get good review.

Life is a *****

Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Test details

The tires listed on the V8V in the Sport Auto Super Test were Pirelli PZero Corsas ("245/35 ZR 19, front-295/30 ZR 19, rear"). The magazine also tested the base car's "Bridgestone Potenza RE 50" tires and declared them an even 10 second penalty vs. the 8:03 Pirellis. Grippy Pirellis justified saying:

-they "can be supplied as an option on the checklist when purchased new".

-"others have already made a name for themselves" (using these Pirellis).

The cover of the reprint, a copy of the magazine cover, was dated/numbered "10/2005-10-06". Included 14 great color/dramatic photos,including one of test editor Horst. The piece helped confirm my my purchase decision, which I was in the process of making as I remember.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:18 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
No kidding.

Are you actually driving on the Ring yourself or just on the Playstation ?

I did some 1000 laps there and I know for sure that the lap time Nissan claimed is impossible with stock hp and street legal tires. Even friends of mine with a lot of ring experience driving 500hp+ GTR's do agree that this lap time is impossible.

Since you mention the delta between Horsts lap time an the Nissan lap time, who told you that the Super Test car was stock in any aspect ? All those press cars are not stock. Wealthy engines, tweaked suspension etc. etc.

As I said, take the "Super Test" lap times with a grain of salt...

Who said ANY car is stock???

Sport Auto said it was stock. But you obviously have proof that it wasn't, and not only did Nissan lie, but Sport Auto lies too. That's cool.

I've never driven the 'Ring in either real life, nor on a Playstation. And I have just as much credibility as you driving a stock GT-R around that track as you do.

(Apparently, because Chris Harris (also driving a press car) said it could never get better than 7:50 (or something like that), that neither time is true)

I see nothing related to the thread topic and that point that it is an accepted 'lie' that it required a 600hp GT-R on slicks to complete that lie (when already half of it was obviously debunked by the very magazine that did the test (Sport Auto - didn't have slicks - unless you think they lied about that too). Perhaps all it takes is a decent driver. Just because your 'friends' agree, doesn't make it right - I'd just take their word with a grain of salt.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
I've never driven the 'Ring in either real life, nor on a Playstation. And I have just as much credibility as you driving a stock GT-R around that track as you do.
Funny guy you seem to be

Given the 1000+ laps of experience I have around the ring, I must admit, I find it totally pointless to disucss this with a GTR fan boy who has zero experience on that specific track called "Norschleife", which is supposed to be the most difficult and dangerous in the world

I've met many GTR's on track at the ring over the past years and I can very well justice their speed.

My point is, that people take the "Super Test " lap times as a religion which is just not a good idea. In the end, it's just one semi-professional driver and a lot of sector calculation stuff going on behind the scenes..

However, this topic is about the Aston Martin Vantage 4.3 and not the GTR, so please stop destroying this thread, thank you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 4.7 nurburgring lap time