Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Impression on RSC TCU upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
DrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura aboutDrScoles has a spectacular aura about
Impression on RSC TCU upgrade

I put it in last week, and driving around town, it seemed nicer, but not very easy to really notice a difference... Yesterday I went for a drive and went to an area where I could run through the gears a lot.. Awesome! When you get on it, it shifts twice as fast as it used to. Old version... I felt like I could count to two before it shifted... and it was like a two staged clunk clunk... now its one assertive quick shift. Just had to be above 5k before I really noticed a difference.

If you have the SS, I think this is a must have.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:20 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
When I had my 4.3, I had all possible mods and the SS remap was the most significant. I'm happy to be in a 6-spped again but I almost miss the SS because of the tcu from RSC.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DrScoles
I put it in last week, and driving around town, it seemed nicer, but not very easy to really notice a difference... Yesterday I went for a drive and went to an area where I could run through the gears a lot.. Awesome! When you get on it, it shifts twice as fast as it used to. Old version... I felt like I could count to two before it shifted... and it was like a two staged clunk clunk... now its one assertive quick shift. Just had to be above 5k before I really noticed a difference.

If you have the SS, I think this is a must have.
Thanks for the review, and glad you're enjoying the difference. I really can't believe we haven't sold more of these - best bang for buck of all the upgrades we offer for the Vantage.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:59 AM
E Ticket is on a distinguished road
DrScoles,
May I ask what year your AMV8 is? I'd like to understand if the TCU upgrade also makes a significant improvement to 2010 AMV8 sportshift. Also, did you remove/install the stock/new TCU yourself and, if so, how easy was it to do?

Thank you.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 PM
PhoenixRising is on a distinguished road
Bump. I have an '09 SS and would be interested in its worth for our cars. I just spoke with my mechanic and the OEM TCU upgrade is about $350USD, so not too bad for some more snappiness in throttle response.

I mentioned to him that occasionally, and not reproducible, downshifting from 2nd to 1st with the paddles provides an immediate and menacingly wonderful downshift. It's fast and sounds incredible. Unfortunately it doesn't happen more than perhaps once a week or so. He advised me to run the car in ASM mode at least once a week to allow it to 'learn' the shiftpoints and improve responsiveness. (I honestly don't care for ASM as it shifts too conservatively for me.) But I will try this out for the next couple weeks and hopefully the shifting will improve.

If not, I will try the OEM first due to cost but would still like to learn more from Stewart to see if the RSC upgrade can give me what I'm looking for.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising
Bump. I have an '09 SS and would be interested in its worth for our cars. I just spoke with my mechanic and the OEM TCU upgrade is about $350USD, so not too bad for some more snappiness in throttle response.

I mentioned to him that occasionally, and not reproducible, downshifting from 2nd to 1st with the paddles provides an immediate and menacingly wonderful downshift. It's fast and sounds incredible. Unfortunately it doesn't happen more than perhaps once a week or so. He advised me to run the car in ASM mode at least once a week to allow it to 'learn' the shiftpoints and improve responsiveness. (I honestly don't care for ASM as it shifts too conservatively for me.) But I will try this out for the next couple weeks and hopefully the shifting will improve.

If not, I will try the OEM first due to cost but would still like to learn more from Stewart to see if the RSC upgrade can give me what I'm looking for.
I'm not with RSC anymore - haven't been for a year now, but I would be happy to set you up with a TCU upgrade nonetheless, if that's the route you would like to go down.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 02-13-2014, 06:47 PM
docprechop is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
I'm not with RSC anymore - haven't been for a year now, but I would be happy to set you up with a TCU upgrade nonetheless, if that's the route you would like to go down.
Stuart, I live in NY, USA. 2009 AM Vantage and would like to arrange for the TCU remap. Is this the same as RSC? How much?

Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by docprechop
Stuart, I live in NY, USA. 2009 AM Vantage and would like to arrange for the TCU remap. Is this the same as RSC? How much?
PM Sent.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-04-2014, 05:36 PM
voltron2002 is on a distinguished road
I'm also interested in finding out whether the TCU remap will improve the smoothness of shifting in auto mode for a 2009 V8 Vantage.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by voltron2002
I'm also interested in finding out whether the TCU remap will improve the smoothness of shifting in auto mode for a 2009 V8 Vantage.
There are factory software updates that Aston released. I just spoke to a customer yesterday who had one done and said it was much, much better at low speed and auto smoothness.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 PM
voltron2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the information. Does the software update apply to 2009 models? Any idea what specifically I should ask for - is there a new version number or something similar? My local dealer claims to not be aware of an update.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Peers is on a distinguished road
Sportshift Remap

Hello,
I am interested in a TCU remap for AM V8V MY2009.
Please sent more information and pricing to hb03@gmx.com
Regards
HB