Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Has anyone changed the shift knob?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Marcos91 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Funny, that's what I like about the DBS shift ****. It's really substantial and fills your palm well.
I enjoy the weight of it, but I am not impressed by the ergonomics... just seems very like a shapeless, amorphous piece of alloy. The SM **** fits in your hand, it has the same 'heft' as is a nice piece of billet but it suits my hand a little better.

Let's face it, anything is better than the original item which did not befit a V12 car of this magnitude - did I hear it was Volvo sourced..?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:56 AM
bazonkers is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Marcos91
I hd the DBS one installed, really didn't like the original unit at all. No complaints but it's coming out soon to be replaced by the Sarah Maynard one, much nicer to hold, more hand-shaped rather than a big lump of cold billet!

http://www.sarahmaynard.com/drivers-collection I already have the dials and **** set, ashtray and she's working on a full interior for me at the moment. Talented lady.
Her collection is nice (not a fan of the shift ****, but it's OK), however, this fascia is terrible.

http://www.sarahmaynard.com/fascia

Old 01-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Marcos91 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bazonkers
Her collection is nice (not a fan of the shift ****, but it's OK), however, this fascia is terrible.

http://www.sarahmaynard.com/fascia
It's only as an example of what she can do with the 'liquid metal' effect. She carries it about to show people.

I've seen it, it's very cool but I wouldnt have it on my car!

Old 10-12-2013, 03:43 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
is the **** threaded or just like a quarter turn to remove?

wanted to have a custom solid titanium **** made, for heft and better leverage but they are threaded and obviously more difficult to create some random "aston" design.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
is the **** threaded or just like a quarter turn to remove?

wanted to have a custom solid titanium **** made, for heft and better leverage but they are threaded and obviously more difficult to create some random "aston" design.
Push down, quarter turn to left to disengage from the shaft. You won't be able to have one made since they have all kinds of internal parts. The best you can do is to mod the existing one.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:29 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Push down, quarter turn to left to disengage from the shaft. You won't be able to have one made since they have all kinds of internal parts. The best you can do is to mod the existing one.
that's unfortunate... possibly thinking buy a used assembly and have the machinist figure something out, using the stock internals.. but still... difficult..

why cant ***** be twist with a set screw like the good ol cars.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:55 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bazonkers
I did the same change on mine. So much better looking than the stock Volvo ****. It IS a little cold in the winter so I bought driving gloves. Problem solved.
Now that, is a proper solution!

Old 11-19-2015, 12:12 PM
KFactor is on a distinguished road
Sweet! Trying for the same.

Originally Posted by eelton
I'll resurrect this old thread since I finally got around to changing my shift **** for that in the DBS. I bought it on the UK eBay site; I paid a lot for a **** that probably cost $20 to make, but a little compared to what dealers charge.

I like the feel and heft of the new ****. Obviously people know what these look like, but here are the before and after pics:

Hey I'm trying to the exact same thing, and find a shift **** from a Vanquish/DBS.. mind telling me where you found the **** for sale at?

Old 11-20-2015, 06:58 AM
eelton is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KFactor
Hey I'm trying to the exact same thing, and find a shift **** from a Vanquish/DBS.. mind telling me where you found the **** for sale at?
I watched eBay until one showed up--I believe it was the UK eBay site.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:27 AM
2014V8V is on a distinguished road
Get the v12v handle

I made the dealer swap the v12v stickshift handle into my 2014 v8v when I bought my car last year and it turns out it was the best decision I made. The v12 handle really transforms the look and feel of the car. Although mine was included in the price of the car, I'd say the money is well worth it.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:35 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
All depends. I went the other way...DBS type to regular type. Shorter and better.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:52 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 2014V8V
Although mine was included in the price of the car, I'd say the money is well worth it.
$1200 for a shift ****... that's a hard pill to swallow.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:59 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I like the look of the DBS **** but really it's too big and out of proportion for my liking. If it was the exact same but maybe 10% smaller I'd be all over it.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:38 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
Installed the DBS **** in my DB9 and it seems a little bit shorter and really changed the feel of shifter for the better.. I love it. Found a used one on bits.. I think I paid about $500. They come up on there used every once in awhile..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141222_194526799.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	2.63 MB
ID:	433372

Old 11-22-2015, 10:53 AM
No way is a DBS **** shorter than the regular type. You are misrememberin'....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone changed the shift knob?