Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

ECU update & upcoming mods ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 12:40 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
CRVETR why are you taking everything so personal? NO shots are being made at anyone. There is no need to get frustrated/emotional. I have no ego in this situation whatsoever which is why I enter every modification with an open mind and let the DYNO do ALL the talking. Remember, he joined my thread and started posting here. Never once were ANY personal insults made to the man whatsoever (there is no belittling). This is merely an technical discussion.

I have owned/modded enough cars to know what works and what doesn't in real world applications. At the end of the day, the only two things I listen to (with the help of some local experts): the car & the Dyno.

Trying to argue against precise/accurate real world dyno testing done in identical conditions, with identical settings on the exact dyno is an act of futility. Saying the world is flat does not make it so ...

If you do not like how the discussion is over here at 6speed, feel free to quit 6speed and return to pistonheads, nobody is forcing you to stay here. However, I will say that the discussion here is far more interesting/information/thoughtful and helpful than anything over there has been (which is mainly dry & boring as of late). If you want to worship at the altar of an automotive messiah feel free to do it on another forum. 6speedonline is different (thankfully so), and I prefer to use the scientific data my car is telling me and to react accordingly (as I have on all my other project cars). Many others have agreed with me both publicly (and privately choosing not to openly voice their disagreement). Most have found my project extremely helpful and informative and it has opened many eyes as to the true potential of these cars. This has always been the goal from day one. The project is just getting started too

There are many members on here who have modified their Astons extensively, as well as many other of their vehicles. Many agree that some of the statements that have been made do not hold up to scrutiny and have been proven wrong by real world dyno testing and empirical evidence. There is no point in trying to enter into every arguement which has no end. That is why I have not wasted my time trying to make a rebuttle to every comment. I have let most of them slide even though they are not accurate. I have done so many of these modifcations before on so many other cars and proven them time and time again. They should perform similarly, if not better, than in previous applications. I know all the future dyno tests will provide all the data I need to see which theory are proven correct and which are not. I am not a fortune teller and I will not try to predict everything, I will simply do it then dyno it, as I have been doing. You can make all the calculations you want on a calculator or make all sorts of claims as to theoretical scenarios ... but until you actually install the part and prove the dyno gains, its all just theoretical talk. I prefer to do it ... not talk about it endlessly ...

The proof is in the dyno ... (as well as 1/4mi & trap speed)

nuff said,
________
Nexium Side Effect

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 08-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 AM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
This has always been the goal from day one.

Your goal is to hear yourself talk Deal with it.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:54 AM
millsjq has a spectacular aura aboutmillsjq has a spectacular aura about
I have to agree with CRVETR, someone the has tinkered and moded many cars over the 30 years and has some knowledge and limited engineering experience can in no way have the understanding of someone like Mike. Over the last 15 years I have seen cars dynoed and then tracked (a real test) that has proven that most mods are marginal at best. A good example is Mikes statement that exhaust adds on 5 hp, I have seen in most Porsche applications 5 hp is good most aftermarket exhaust lose HP but the user "knows" the car is faster as it appears to be since it is louder.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:31 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
I for one am very happy the mods I have undertaken with Stuart. I am also at peace since the ECU tune comes with a $1M warranty in case of damage. I am sure Eurotuners don't have that in place. I will stick with my ECU tune from Stuart. Exhaust and Cats also top notch.

Last edited by zambono; 05-16-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
CRVETR, I was going to send you a private message to discuss, but private messages aren't available to you, so maybe you don't have enough posts to receive them. I don't know.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mike certainly seems to know his stuff, and I appreciate his insight. I don't know him personally (I assume you do), but I take him at his word that he is an ex-Aston Martin engine development guy. I mean if my cat could type she could get on here and claim to be the Queen of France, but there's no doubt he knows engines. And if AM is ok with him discussing development info online in a public forum, I'd love to hear it...as they say don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

My point is not to be argumentative, it's to discuss and put together useful info. His word isn't gospel, it's opinion mostly based on fact, but like everyone there is a bias. My intention was so see where his was/is, and I think we've answered that question.

I assume you've done no mods to your Aston Martin based on his recommendations, and that's your choice. To each his/her own. I, for one, was not satisfied with the stock performance so I looked elsewhere and I've been very happy with the results. I love Aston Martin, but let's be honest here...the 4.3 is a dog and needs all the help it can get. If that was all that mattered, we'd all be driving Nissan GT-Rs, which obliterate a stock 4.3 in every performance test, but I wanted the Aston
Martin...but with performance to match the price.

Whatever the case, this is meant to be a discussion with the least amount of personal bias. Try not to take it so personally. Mike can handle himself just fine and makes his points well.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 AM
RPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to beholdRPVantage is a splendid one to behold
I agree with Tahoe.
Specially because this is the most informative thread I've seen in this Aston martin forum since I'm a member.
Thank you for sharing all the info. DragonM, 007, tahoe etc etc.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
nacelle is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RPVantage
I agree with Tahoe.
Specially because this is the most informative thread I've seen in this Aston martin forum since I'm a member.
Could not agree more, I am one of those types not so mechanically inclined and all of this information is a great resource....

Many many thanks to all who participate and add to the knowledge base for our stunning cars! I for one am very grateful...

Eric J

Old 05-16-2011, 09:23 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
WOW, big Flame time. I find Mike to be very a very solid, knowledgable engineer, very informative and I've learned so much about my Aston Engine from his posts--Thanks very much for taking the time to share with us on the board. If I ever thought about tinkering with my ECU, now I won't do it.

On the otherhand, I really like 007 Vantage trying to push the envelope to see what's possible with this engine, sure there's a risk there, but we can all learn a lot about the engine and it's potential based on all his very practical and accessible modifications.

So my bottom line--Go Guys! Both of you have a lot to contribute from two different vantage points, and for me "I'm enjoying the ride".

Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by RPVantage
. . . this is the most informative thread I've seen in this Aston martin forum since I'm a member.
Couldn't agree more. The thread has come off the rails a time or two (and I am partly to blame for this), but this is by far the best thread I have seen on the Aston Martin section of this forum in the two years I've been following it. I appreciate hearing everyone's opinions in this deba . . . discussion.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:07 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
woah. I don't have an Aston so I'm not even entitled to chime in here, but I'm very happy that BOTH Mike and 007 are part of the board. I think if 007's tune holds together and the engine doesn't blow its wad, Mike would be happy to acknowledge 007's tune and if 007 blows his engine, he'd post here for everyone to see that Mike was right. This is a great place to voice different opinions as long as each party is open and receptive to the other when the truth comes out, and both of these gentlemen would seem to fit the bill exactly, so I don't really see a problem?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Fair enough, I would admit to such a situation of course ... but I'm not worried in the slightest
________
Ebony Cams

Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 PM
maroli will become famous soon enoughmaroli will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Fair enough, I would admit to such a situation of course ... but I'm not worried in the slightest
might have to do something with being able to afford another engine if it went kaput, as opposed to mid-20-something me who's scraping together funds for an MBA and lives vicariously through you guys

an aston may be in my near future but until then I'm content with learning about it and fantasizing!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM
If it ever did blow up I would just drop a Coyote 5.0L in there and surpass even the V12s ... Those motors are no joke and are putting out high 400s lightly modded on the dyno. So, either way is fine by me
________
LIVE SEX WEBSHOWS

Old 05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I have viewed this thread as the best we've had because of all of the information and discovery. I must congratulate 007 and Dragon on the efforts and info. It is only natural that there be a bit of disagreement by all of us. It's a great sign of the passion we have for our cars. In my world there is only one important fact and that is outcomes. I have made my success based on the final outcome. So different mindsets on the way can only help to improve all of our understandings of these amazing cars. So let's try to keep things friendly and competitive and keep the info flowing. I must say that it is a relief to have a V12V during this discussion because if I have my 4.3 while the HP was flying I would going nuts.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:16 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
If it ever did blow up I would just drop a Coyote 5.0L in there and surpass even the V12s ... Those motors are no joke and are putting out high 400s lightly modded on the dyno. So, either way is fine by me
+1 on the new Coyote engine.....incredible. The Laguna Seca edition (stock) lapped faster than an R8..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ECU update & upcoming mods ...