Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Next Vantage engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 PM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jaymoney
I have heard this discussion for nearly a year now. I had a source at AM in the UK that told me the move was to go to lighter more efficient cars with more modern engines and finish. He thought that a MB sourced engine was inevitable. This drove me to get the V12V because I saw it as a last of breed car. I am looking forward to the future but I am thrilled at the opportunity to own this car before there are no more lie it. The Jeremy Clarkson video rings in my head every time I think of it.
Funny, that same video affected me the same way. I remember watching it and thinking that, if I wanted to get an Aston, this was the time. I wanted a V12V, but wanted a Roadster. What I really wanted was an Aston that did not have an engine so small that it could fit in the glove box!

Now you see where that got me

Old 05-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Yeah, from what I've read, it looks like the emphasis will be on lighter weight and increased efficiency rather than larger engines and greater power.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:45 PM
scottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura aboutscottblack has a spectacular aura about
And that probably means the end of manual gearboxes, too. That's sad.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:49 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The 550 motors can be pushed to 450hp+ easily so I dont see why its not possible. Its the most logical step and its a motor proven to be bulletproof reliable (after all it is basically the old amg motor but with update 4-valve heads)

Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
there is a news of an electric Cygnet which would lower emissions for aston.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 AM
zambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura aboutzambono has a spectacular aura about
yes 007, the engine in the 550's would be the best candidate for the Vantages. specifically the 4.6L twin turbo in the new CLS which does 402 hp in that version, which I am sure Aston can massage to 450+

Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
The 550 motors can be pushed to 450hp+ easily so I dont see why its not possible. Its the most logical step and its a motor proven to be bulletproof reliable (after all it is basically the old amg motor but with update 4-valve heads)
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
They won't use the 6.2L V8s period (unfortunately). With that said ... the 550 motors are not continued, they will still be around. The 6.2L are being phased out for 5.5L turbos, so all their V8s will be same displacement (saves manufacturing costs).

New SLS will use aston's VH architecture so as you can see this marriage could prove very useful for both manufactures.
I didn't say or mean to suggest it wasn't possible. I said it would take some work. The pre-2011 550 engine makes 382hp at 6000rpm..not exactly a high-revving motor. So to make it fit the character of this car, they'd have to tear it down and rebuild with new cams, valves and valve springs, and other parts to increase the redline out to 7-7500 rpm, test it, etc. I'd expect at they'd want to spend as little development money as possible, which is the whole reason for using an engine from another manufacturer which is ready to go. That's why the 6.2 seemed to be the most logical choice since they could just detune it to where they want it to be without tearing it open, but you said that engine wouldn't be used period. So I don't know where that leaves us.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by zambono
yes 007, the engine in the 550's would be the best candidate for the Vantages. specifically the 4.6L twin turbo in the new CLS which does 402 hp in that version, which I am sure Aston can massage to 450+
I'm all for them using a turbo V8, but everything I've heard and seen suggests that Bez won't allow it. That leaves the outgoing 550 engine (5.5L 382 hp@6000, redline 6500) and the outgoing 63 (6.2 L 451-563 hp@6800 rpm depending on application, 7300 rpm redline), which are their only naturally-aspirated V8s left.

Last edited by Tahoe M3; 05-20-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
"The Jeremy Clarkson video rings in my head every time I think of it."
Ditto that.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Maybe these new vehicles are part of the plan to improve the overall fuel economy of the line . . .

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/20/a...agonda-models/

Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 AM
CRVETR has a spectacular aura aboutCRVETR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Racer_X
Maybe these new vehicles are part of the plan to improve the overall fuel economy of the line . . .

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/20/a...agonda-models/
I just don't find that look appealing in the least....

Old 05-21-2011, 11:35 AM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
If Aston produces a 6 cylinder in their next car, regardless of its output/performance, my next car won’t be another Aston. I’m already ashamed of the Cygnet but, not the Rapide – however, both are a look into the future of how Aston might suffer brand dilution like Porsche has.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:07 PM
there is that new Lotus Esprit in the pipeline. modern interior, supercharged v8, I can see myself in one of those rather than a new Aston.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:54 PM
sgt d is on a distinguished road
i too thought that this was the whole point of building the cygnet. true they might not sale enough of them but, although not a smart business plan, they do not need to actually sell them but produce them to offset for the line.?.? looks like i may be heading back to the shelby line anyway but damn i hate to see this car go in the wrong direction.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:39 AM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next Vantage engine