Please, more info about AM V-8 Vantage, XKR, Maserati Coupe/Cambiocorsa

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Dak20 is on a distinguished road
Please, more info about AM V-8 Vantage, XKR, Maserati Coupe/Cambiocorsa

Hi,

Still too long, but here goes . . .

Have read several threads here, regarding the following cars, with interest.

Have driven AM V-8 Vantage's, XKR's, & Maserati Coupe's/Cambiocorsa's. My preference leans the smallest of bits to coupes. Meaning, a very sharp rag top will be considered. The cars looked over, and to be considered have been, and will be, under 15K miles.

Cars driven thus far, have been dealer rides, giving me a chance to sample them.

My comfort level spend wise so far, are 2009 cars. My readings tell me the Maserati's are akin to the Ferrari (engine wise). Thus more maintenance to consider, et cetera, than on the AM Vantage V-8, and the XKR.

Information found thus far on the AM Vantage V-8 and the XKR, is not as obvious as to issues, as found with Maserati Coupe/Cambiocorsa.

In a straight line the XKR is the quicker unit than the AM Vantage V-8. Seems, the XKR is the quieter of the two. Do you find this to be as well?

I cruise more than canyon carve, 70 - 30 roughly, for what that is worth.

Seems I like the V-8 Vantage the slightest bit more that the XKR, at least looks wise.

So what should I look for as to issues regarding the AM V-8 Vantage? Same goes for the XKR. This is very important to me. Have had cars in the past, that spent too much time in the shop.

Won't bore with a litany of the obvious issues, such as drive train, and so forth. You know what I'm after, you've been there yourself. So what about the AM V-8 Vantage, and the XKR?

Will really appreciate your take about the above. I find ferreting out information from users, is the best way to find out about the good, bad, and the indifferent, about things mechanical, such as cars.

Jas

Last edited by Dak20; 09-26-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: too long
Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned
ballinfast is infamous around these parts
If you want the best bang for your buck get the XKR Convertible 08-09 you can get for a good price from 45-60k now or wait til winter and save some more. I driven the Vantage & the Maserati Granturismo. I like the Vantage its a cool car but I preferred the XKR better. Having a XKR thats Supercharged is the best. I love the instant feeling from the quick acceleration. Hands down the XKR is the best GT you can buy. Even Jeremy Clarkson says so the XKR is amazing and Gorgeous. The Vantage didnt give me a quick thrill whatsoever I driven the DB9 and preferred that over the Vantage just for speed preferences. Far as the Maserati I didnt find anything amusing with it at all. I own an XKR myself and I love it. You can use it as a daily driver as well and not to mention you will get alot of attention as well too. I like Aston Martin but I love Jaguar. Astons are cool for the James Bond image if you can afford it. But to tell you the truth in the XKR you get more for your buck for less and more features and a Gorgeous ride. Get the XKR thats my 2 cents.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Banned
ballinfast is infamous around these parts
Also with the XKR it will cost you cheaper when getting services done like oil changes etc. Like my oil change at dealer is no more than $60. Some Jaguar dealers have discounts on services if you go online an print coupons out. The Aston far as services concerned is expensive I believe an oil change is $400. Plus Jaguar is rated top in reliability. I go in for my oil change services and thats about it.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Jay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud ofJay_Davis has much to be proud of
Do you really need to keep posting in every thread about how wonderful the XKR is??? The Jag forum must be full of really dull people since you spend of of your time elsewhere. Perhaps that alone says something.

I will repeat, I drove both, new, bought the AM. If you want a usable back seat, the Maserati is better.

As for the original poster, none of the three are bad choices. But what is best for you depends on your needs and tastes.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ballinfast
Also with the XKR it will cost you cheaper when getting services done like oil changes etc. Like my oil change at dealer is no more than $60. Some Jaguar dealers have discounts on services if you go online an print coupons out. The Aston far as services concerned is expensive I believe an oil change is $400. Plus Jaguar is rated top in reliability. I go in for my oil change services and thats about it.
I suspect you are a troll. WHen you come back in a week you can prove me wrong.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ballinfast
If you want the best bang for your buck get the XKR Convertible 08-09 you can get for a good price from 45-60k now or wait til winter and save some more.
I test drove one of these at the time, having owned a 2000 XK8 and considering an upgrade. I can honestly say that the interior quality was utter crap. The ash tray lid broke the moment I touched it. I mentioned this to my service rep and he said the same thing happened to him. The thing I remember most is how thin the leather / padding is on the door panels and the low-quality plastics used on the paddles. That being said, I just saw a '12 at the dealership last week and the quality is greatly improved. I don't know what year they upgraded, but I wouldn't even consider the older model.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:30 PM
sandydlc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brumma
I test drove one of these at the time, having owned a 2000 XK8 and considering an upgrade. I can honestly say that the interior quality was utter crap. The ash tray lid broke the moment I touched it. I mentioned this to my service rep and he said the same thing happened to him. The thing I remember most is how thin the leather / padding is on the door panels and the low-quality plastics used on the paddles. That being said, I just saw a '12 at the dealership last week and the quality is greatly improved. I don't know what year they upgraded, but I wouldn't even consider the older model.
Agreed. I have a 2011 XKR and the dealer gave me an '09 to drive for a loaner when my car was getting a couple of warranty items taken care of. The '09 (could have been an '08) was noticeably different than mine in terms of interior quality, fit and finish.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Post pics when you can!!

Last edited by sandydlc; 09-30-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: grammar in last sentence
Old 09-30-2011, 11:01 PM
brumma has a spectacular aura aboutbrumma has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sandydlc
Agreed. I have a 2011 XKR and the dealer gave me an '09 to drive for a loaner when my car was getting a couple of warranty items taken care of. The '09 (could have been an '08) was noticeably different than mine in terms of interior quality, fit and finish.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice. Post pics when you can!!
Actually, I currently drive a V8 Vantage. However, I am impressed with the quality of the newer XK. Perhaps my wife might be in the market for a new car soon...

Old 10-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by brumma
Actually, I currently drive a V8 Vantage. However, I am impressed with the quality of the newer XK. Perhaps my wife might be in the market for a new car soon...
I highly recommend having two fun cars in the family, especially if you both love to drive. The only problem you'll run into are fights over whose car to take when you go out!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Dak20 is on a distinguished road
Humm . . .

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies, does help . . .

Seems thread deviated some that's okay ... they usually do.

I've narrowed down my search to an XKR, and a AM V-8 Vantage. One thing the AM has that perk's my interest just a tad, is a manual transmission as an option.

The Maserati just didn't quite make it for me aesthetically, but came real close. The Maser also has the advantage of the ability to really, actually seat four! That it has a near Ferrari engine didn't hurt either. One thing for sure is ... they are all very nice, indeed.

I lean also ever so slightly toward a coupe, in the used world many more AM coupes than their are XKR coupes, seems 90 - 95% XKR's are convertibles.

My drives show interior of the XKR just slightly better. Haven't noticed, as one poster has it, that the seats in the AM are of thinner leather. Appear supple enough to me. Looked at one AM silver with red leather, black carpet, etc., looked real nice.

Acceleration of the supercharged engine in the XKR is better. Small dilemma, I do like a NA, naturally aspirated engines. Though not adverse to SC'ing a motor to get more power. That said . . .

Since XK is around 300 HP without help, tells me the AM motor is better engineered, since is gets its 390 HP (know it varies by year, so this is sample only), by using NA'd means.

Do understand the AM will need more annual attention, than the XKR. That doesn't bother me, just part of the game.

Does ANYONE have information regarding the suspensions of both cars. How well dampened, how well do they stand up?

I sense the XKR rides a bit better. What do you think about the rides of both?

How about NVH, noise, vibration, and harshness? Remember, my tests are miles, not 50, 100 mile drives. So get a "sense," but not long enough. What are your thoughts, you drivers?

Looking to get your thoughts ... so please respond to the topics above, will appreciate that . . .

Dak20

Old 10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
The XKR actually has 510 HP as opposed to the XK which is a lower performance engine.

Sadly I've never driven an Aston Martin so I can't speak to the feel/handling of that car but the XKR is really such a great vehicle. In Drive - you get a plush, comfortable cruiser that rides like a dream - super luxurious and quiet, even in the cabriolet. Put the car into Sport, with Dynamic mode enabled and you've got a racer. You can feel the suspension tighten up, the engine revs higher and especially if you're inclined to use the paddle shifters (I'm still getting used to mine), it's really a beast of a car. The acceleration is smooth and quick and in less time than you're prepared for, you're going 90 mph and looking around for cops.

What's really amazing is how when you push it, the XKR just wants more. I've never come close to exploring the limits of the acceleration of this car. I'm waiting for some dry weather and a trip to Eastern Washington to really test it. There's just no way to drive fast on I-5 near Seattle anymore unless you're out late at night, with radar/laser diffusers at the ready.

I would say that noise is minimal, vibration and harshness are non-existent on the XKR.

My dealer once offered to let me take an XKR overnight before buying it. Have you inquired as to whether that might be an option for you to get a better sense of how it drives?

Sandy

Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
I got a chance to drive the XKR on the track this weekend at a really nicely put-together Jaguar event. All pro drivers took us out on the track and gave us training and pointers. I have to say the XKR handles better on the track than I thought it would. It's very quick and smooth, but not floaty and doesn't feel heavy. I came away very impressed. Driving it is not an event as it is in the Aston Martin, but it would make an easier daily driver (compared to mine). They had probably a dozen XKR-S's there as well, but we didn't get to drive them. I'll post some pics.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
I got a chance to drive the XKR on the track this weekend at a really nicely put-together Jaguar event. All pro drivers took us out on the track and gave us training and pointers. I have to say the XKR handles better on the track than I thought it would. It's very quick and smooth, but not floaty and doesn't feel heavy. I came away very impressed. Driving it is not an event as it is in the Aston Martin, but it would make an easier daily driver (compared to mine). They had probably a dozen XKR-S's there as well, but we didn't get to drive them. I'll post some pics.
Looking forward to the pics. Why were there so many XKR-S if they weren't being driven?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tahoe M3
That's so great! I wonder if they ever put together similar events in the Seattle area? Was the event out on by your local dealer or Jaguar NA?

What types of pointers did you pick up? Anything you can share? I'm dying to do the Jaguar Performance Academy. I'll most likely have to wait to participate until next year. It's a great program that's free to new R series owners. It's a full day of training that includes in-class and on track training.

I've never been on a track but I'm hoping to get out there soon.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Tahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really niceTahoe M3 is just really nice
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Looking forward to the pics. Why were there so many XKR-S if they weren't being driven?
I was wondering the same thing. The original invite mentioned the XKR-S and when I got to the event I asked about driving them they kind of dodged the question. I suspect their underwriters drew the line at allowing them to be tested sometime after the event was set up, because there were enough of them to be driven by the groups.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please, more info about AM V-8 Vantage, XKR, Maserati Coupe/Cambiocorsa