Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What to look out for when shopping for a used V8V?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 PM
uracowman will become famous soon enough
What to look out for when shopping for a used V8V?

I've done some picking around here on the forums and it seems like there were some issues with the 06 and 07 V8 Vantages. Is there anything specific I should be looking out for while shopping for one?

Specifically, I am looking for on 06-08 Automatic V8 Vantage.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
mark higinbotha is on a distinguished road
used AM with Sport Shift

I have an 08 with Sport Shift and I did a lot of research before I bought mine. I would be happy to share with you what I learned and my experience thus far with the car. I have been thinking of selling mine and getting an 09 with manual trans. Please PM me for more info.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
I had the dealer here in Austin do the full inspection on mine in advance of purchase.

Oil leak fix, belt fix, potential glue issue under trunk that created two "bumps" in metal, chips around the handle on the outside, pulling leather interior are areas that can be of issue.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 PM
uracowman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DetomasoGTS74
I had the dealer here in Austin do the full inspection on mine in advance of purchase.

Oil leak fix, belt fix, potential glue issue under trunk that created two "bumps" in metal, chips around the handle on the outside, pulling leather interior are areas that can be of issue.
how would you go about checking for the oil leak fix or belt fix? I'm guessing only techs at an AM dealer can do this?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by uracowman
how would you go about checking for the oil leak fix or belt fix? I'm guessing only techs at an AM dealer can do this?
They were known issues that AM dealers had a fix for. I had the AM dealer bring up the history of all work done on the car (AM dealer) and both were listed.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:09 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Oil leaks (front cover, SportShift trans check for oil leak at gear position sensor), shocks leaking, leather peeling/pulling/deformed, and if any open recalls. Clutch performace would also be something to check. Then check the basic, oil levels, brakes, tires, damage to the body.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
1. Make sure the petrol cap doesn't fall apart in your hands when you unscrew it
2. Air conditioning blows cold.
3. Panel gaps are equal all around.
4. Car sits straight when observed from 50 yards away looking up from pavement (CORRECTED :O) )
5. Full lock steering does not produce groaning noises
6. Clutch biting point is not too high or low on the pedal.

Just some pointers off the top of my head which you probably knew anyway.

Last edited by Vergis; 10-13-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vergis
4. Car sits straight when observed from 300 yards away looking up from pavement
How do you look at the car from 300 yards away? Take it to an airport runway?

Old 10-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Meant to say 50 yards )

Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM
DB72011 is on a distinguished road
check that the car has premium audio, as the standard audio blows

Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 AM
11CayenneS will become famous soon enough
Buy the gaydon era Aston book it will tell you quite a bit and even has a guide to buying used Astons. It's a great book!!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 AM
amv8indc has a spectacular aura aboutamv8indc has a spectacular aura about
I've had groaning noises at low speeds with my steering. Did you have this problem, and how do you fix it? I assumed it was a power steering pump issue.

Originally Posted by Vergis
1. Make sure the petrol cap doesn't fall apart in your hands when you unscrew it
2. Air conditioning blows cold.
3. Panel gaps are equal all around.
4. Car sits straight when observed from 50 yards away looking up from pavement (CORRECTED :O) )
5. Full lock steering does not produce groaning noises
6. Clutch biting point is not too high or low on the pedal.

Just some pointers off the top of my head which you probably knew anyway.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
DFDUBB is on a distinguished road
check that the car has premium audio, as the standard audio blows
i know that Porsche's 'premium' sound is not that grand... is the AM's much of a difference? Hows the nav on the '07s? The Nav module on my old 997 was horrible...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:16 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DFDUBB
i know that Porsche's 'premium' sound is not that grand... is the AM's much of a difference? Hows the nav on the '07s? The Nav module on my old 997 was horrible...
AM's Premium audio is fantastic. The nav system not so much.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:46 PM
AMfanTX is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by karlfranz
AM's Premium audio is fantastic. The nav system not so much.
What is the difference between the standard audio, the premium audio, and the B&O option?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What to look out for when shopping for a used V8V?