6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   RSC ECU now available as flash? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/257612-rsc-ecu-now-available-flash.html)

seattle_sun 10-14-2011 07:40 PM

RSC ECU now available as flash?

Called RSC about an ECU upgrade. They said that they are now going to be doing them via a flash through the OBD port.

Anyone have any more info about this?

Irish07@VelocityAP 10-17-2011 11:53 AM

Last I heard(recently), you still have to send your ECU in for the programming..and the "flash" is in the works..not available yet with no ETA

AMFixer 10-17-2011 12:07 PM

Wonder if RSC flash will effect any flashs from Aston,
Or if a Aston flash will effect RSC flash

Irish07@VelocityAP 10-17-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by AMFixer (Post 3343245)
Wonder if RSC flash will effect any flashs from Aston,
Or if a Aston flash will effect RSC flash

I actually sent an email to Stuart about this just prior to reading this..let you know what he says

AMFixer 10-17-2011 12:28 PM

Oh man you know what else I just thought about, MISFIRE CORRECTIONS, ask him about that too.

Irish07@VelocityAP 10-17-2011 12:35 PM

that's pcm..they only have the asm flash right now..but even doing an update on the pcm I don't believe will affect the 36-1..there's no change in the rotating mass nor sensors..just parameters like timing and fuel ratio's are played with on a simple universal tune for the engine..if anything just reset the 36-1 and set again via the road test..but I don't think you'll run into trouble..

Irish07@VelocityAP 10-17-2011 01:12 PM

In 4 years they have never had a problem with the TCM update being affected by the Aston update..

AMFixer 10-17-2011 09:53 PM

But I thought he was talking about a pcm reflash?

I have heard about the asm reflash just never had anybody do one. They any good?

Irish07@VelocityAP 10-18-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by AMFixer (Post 3343820)
But I thought he was talking about a pcm reflash?

I have heard about the asm reflash just never had anybody do one. They any good?

Well either way, only reason you'd do a flash is if something was wrong with it in the first place...

..don't know if you've worked on land rover or jag..aston doesn't need any software updates on pcm and tcm like the other do..Remember though custom tunes are just remaps of the orignal..so if there was a glitch in the original then that same glitch might very well be in the remaped tune unless the tuner noticed the glitch and fixed parameter orior to the manufactures engineering even solving the concern with there revised tune..

CRVETR 10-18-2011 07:49 AM

Remember though custom tunes are just remaps of the orignal.

This is one of the most perceptive statements ever issued regarding the Aston engine. I wish that more people would realize that an ECU flash is just a redistribution of what you had in the first place, rather than new adds.

+1 !!

vince_1972 10-18-2011 02:24 PM

Better to criticize when you know about it. I had a preparation of ECU Stuart (RSC) for two years and I've never had a problem or a witness light (the grey vantage) . Just more power and pleasure.

Stuart Dickinson 10-19-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by seattle_sun (Post 3341388)
Called RSC about an ECU upgrade. They said that they are now going to be doing them via a flash through the OBD port.

Anyone have any more info about this?

Yes, we will soon be offering the ECU reprogramming via OBDII - each customer will recieve a hand-held which will allow you to read and write to the ECU, as well as read/clear DTC codes.

TCU will still be via bench for the time being.

Stuart Dickinson 10-19-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by CRVETR (Post 3344020)
Remember though custom tunes are just remaps of the orignal.

This is one of the most perceptive statements ever issued regarding the Aston engine. I wish that more people would realize that an ECU flash is just a redistribution of what you had in the first place, rather than new adds.

+1 !!

You're absolutely correct. ECU remapping is not a re-invention of the wheel. It is a few small changes made within the existing architecture of the ECU. For example, as has been mentioned elsewhere, the AM N400 power upgrade produces 10BHP from the intake modifications, and a further 10BHP through changes to the ECU (actually, just one change - allowing for ignition advance in the presence of adequate octane fuel.)

Is it such a stretch to think that a lowly company like RSC might have the ability to do the same thing as AM and produce a 10BHP boost through the same changes? That's not the only change that we make to the ECU, but why is it that an AM ECU upgrade that does this is the dog's danglies, and if RSC does it, it is 'just a remap of the original'?

Irish07@VelocityAP 10-19-2011 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart@RSC (Post 3345010)
You're absolutely correct. ECU remapping is not a re-invention of the wheel. It is a few small changes made within the existing architecture of the ECU. For example, as has been mentioned elsewhere, the AM N400 power upgrade produces 10BHP from the intake modifications, and a further 10BHP through changes to the ECU (actually, just one change - allowing for ignition advance in the presence of adequate octane fuel.)

Is it such a stretch to think that a lowly company like RSC might have the ability to do the same thing as AM and produce a 10BHP boost through the same changes? That's not the only change that we make to the ECU, but why is it that an AM ECU upgrade that does this is the dog's danglies, and if RSC does it, it is 'just a remap of the original'?

hehe..cause in there AM brochure it writes "Upgrade"..so we have to believe what we read..no?? lol.. :rolleyes:

AMFixer 10-19-2011 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by irish07 (Post 3345033)
hehe..cause in there AM brochure it writes "Upgrade"..so we have to believe what we read..no?? lol.. :rolleyes:

lol.....