Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

v8 vantage drivetrain mount/engine mount noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 AM
///amgny is on a distinguished road
v8 vantage drivetrain mount/engine mount noise

Hi all, any advice here is appreciated. My 07 vantage seems to make a little noise when I suddenly hit the gas in gear, it sounds like it is a little clunky from the rear, more noticeable in 5th or 6th gear when on the highway. You don't hear the noise at all unless you let off the throttle completely and hit it down suddenly, almost like something is loose in the drivetrain (but there is no flex disc in this car or u joint). Are the mounts a normal wear item? No shudders or grinding noises present all gears operate smoothly. Some days it seems to be there less than others if that makes any sense. Very subtle, I guess it could be normal but wanted to check as I have heard they have noisy drivetrains. Any insight is appreciated thank you. The clutch was done on the car last year and I am still covered under the extended warrenty.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:33 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Mounts are not that common, they leak, but I have yet to see one broken. I do know the exhaust heat shields like to rub on the subframe, causing a click noise. Also the axles like to make a click/clunk noise, the splines on the rear axles in the hubs move around. Noises are hard to fix on the computer. Any way to get a sound clip or video?

Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 AM
///amgny is on a distinguished road
I'll try and see if I can get a video to bring up the sound. It sounds like it is from the rear, I have read about the axle spline noise but this is a pretty deep thud like there is slack in the drivetrain somewhere, I guess I will start by checking their torque and putting some loctite on in addition to the exhaust rubbing. Pretty sure it is not clutch related because the noise seems to come from the back of the car, and when you slam the gas down you feel the resonance up front, a very deep thud. I inspected the transmission mounts and the engine mounts, no leaks that I can see. Figured before I waste my time going to the dealer I would try to see what the issue is. I am pretty handy and do most of my auto work myself including the all maintenance on this car, plug change on the db9 (what a pain taking those manifolds off lol) etc. Thanks for your insight I read your post on the airbag cover removal and used it for my db9, your posts are very helpful.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
I wouldn't see the mounts making this concern in 5th/6th gear..I've had them squeak after leaking out and running dry..throttling would omit a squeaking sound from the dead mount..but like AMFixer stated, never seen one broken off yet.

The heat shields do rub on the rear subframe and on the torque-tube tunnel, should be about a 1.5-2inch gap on the catalyst heat shield to the body shell.

The halfshalf spline noise are usually from a start..if this concern was present, go from reverse then foward and splines will make this noise..repair is to remove halfshaft from rear hubs and apply green locktite on splines then fit a new halfshaft nut and torque to spec..

I have seen in the past, knocking/clunking from the rear under hard throttle at all speeds(and sometimes when corning hard left or right)..the rear muffler has extensions going into the visible rear bumper muffler tips. the extensions need to be centered in the bumper tips, to low and under throttle "Clunk"..to far left and Clunk when corning right(same if to far right Clunk when turning hard left)..

I have also seen the muffler flange hitting the subframe(happens often on aftermarket mufflers).. the hangers sag and need to be bent back to raise the muffler and keep flange from rear subframe contact..this also makes a Knock/Clunk under throttle..check the flange going through the rear subframe brace, pull down on the muffler and you should have about 1inch clearance min on both side..to less and your chancing the noise...the best centered the flange the better..

Untill a video is seen/heard of the noise, I'd have to put my money on the exhaust muffler concerns I just explained..the exhaust is to be removed to replace the clutch(which you state was done a under a year ago)..if not aligned correctly or if muffler is slightly forced by an object..it will cause this clunking/knocking noise when throttling and need further adjustment