Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

4.3 vs 4.7 ECU dyno results ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:50 AM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Racer_X
The V8VS 0-60 is about a half a second slower than the V12V. That's a pretty big difference -- about the same difference as between the V8VS and the 4.3L.
On paper from AM, yes. In real world test results from the magazines I read, the numbers are much closer. This has been discussed in this forum before. Car & Driver has the V12V and the S the same from 0-60 (4.1 seconds)....do you think this is from traction issues with the V12V?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
C&D 0-60 times are a joke. They do a rolling start and their numbers are consistently much lower than everyone else's, including the manufacturer's numbers. I think they said that the regular 4.7L can get to 60 in under 4 seconds. Yeah, right.

Regardless, my point is that the difference between the V12V and V8S is about the same as the difference between the V8S and the 4.3. They are not very similar at all.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
C&D 0-60 times are a joke. They do a rolling start and their numbers are consistently much lower than everyone else's, including the manufacturer's numbers. I think they said that the regular 4.7L can get to 60 in under 4 seconds. Yeah, right.

Regardless, my point is that the difference between the V12V and V8S is about the same as the difference between the V8S and the 4.3. They are not very similar at all.
I have no facts but my butt dyno says the V12V is faster by a good amount. My test drive of the 2 cars was about 20 minutes back to back in each car.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
No32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of lightNo32 is a glorious beacon of light
what was the Noble M400 like ? never even saw one, was it fun to drive, whats the main difference from AM

Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The reason I do not want the vantage S is because of the sport shift only transmission option. I have to have a manual 6spd, it's a must. Another reason I want the v8 instead of v12, is the v8 still has the watch face instrument cluster, the v12s do not (I know that sounds ridiculous but for me it's a very important factor).

Another factor is price, you can pick up an 09 4.7 in the 80s, which makes it a relative bargain compared to the vantage S which is too close to V12 preowned territory to justify it, if I spend that much might as get the v12.

I will say this ... The vantage S does have the nicest interior of all the astons IMO bc it has all the v12 goodies, but still retains the v8 watch face instrument cluster.

Still keeping an eye out for the right color combo, when I find it I will pick it up hopefully soon. I need a nice GT for around town (I don't take the lambo out to restaurants, it's just way too nice / rare.)

Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by No32
what was the Noble M400 like ? never even saw one, was it fun to drive, whats the main difference from AM
The Noble was an amazing car. There's no comparison between it and an AM though. The Noble is a track car that was "legal" to drive on the street, the V8V is a GT car that is capable on the track. 180 degrees of difference .

Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Agree with above. V12V is in a different league from the 4.7L V8, not just for hp and torque, but throttle response. Heel/toe is fun in the V12; blipping the throttle in the V8 was like making a phone call to the moon. Now that is one area, if addressed, that would make a tuned V8 a lot of fun. Lightened flywheel etc. - there are some good threads over on Pistonheads with people reporting back on exactly this mod @ Bamford Rose in the UK.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of

So lets not look at C&D..lets look at R&T which has the direct comparison attached including more than just acceleration. The major difference in performance is in the brakes, which was my biggest take away after driving the V12V as well....the brakes are superb.

My point was only to say that performance was similar between the S and the 12 and I was only going off the data from the major publications I read. I could not believe it myself that the S was closer to the V12 than the standard 4.7......it is not in between the 4.3 and 12.

Don't get me wrong, after I drove the V12V I was ready to trade in my standard V8 immediately as I fell in love all over again....if only I had done a better job convincing the wife.....

Attached Files
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
I've been sitting on the fence for a bit on this thread but now seems as good a time as any. The V12V is light years away from any V8V. I had a heavily modified V8V Vert. I had ECU, SS Remap, exhaust and filters. As it was going off of warranty, I drove the 4.7 with manual and SS to get ready for the next car. The V12V to the US announcement was made and I laid my money down. I drove that car at Pocono before they came to the US and I knew that it was the way to go. The V12 will out perform any V8 even with a supercharger in the real world. The biggest problem is traction. The car can not achieve it's full potential in a short drag because of the transition of power to the rear wheels and the short wheel base. If someone has a better way of explaining it, go right ahead. When I leave the line with the traction control off if feels as if the car is going to split in two. On the highway at speed, the extra cylinders make a world of difference. The balance of the car and the connection is much better. I hooked up with a friend who has a V8VS vert a short time ago and we went back and forth. That car is very slick and the shifting is much better than my old 4.3 even with the reprogram. Having said that, he agreed that it is no where near as fast or frightening. It does have an excellent set up for a quick leap off of the line but on the highway, when there is no traction issue it's no contest. Oh by the way, the notion that modification of a NA V8 engine will get you to V12 territory is a quite a stretch. The expense and risk doesn't seem to make sense in terms of the different in starter costs. I have added a sport exhaust and filters which I have been told by Bamford Rose is getting me about 12-14 HP together. So theoretically I'm at 525HP. I have great respect for the 4.7. If I were going to buy any roadster it would be a V8VS.

Last edited by jaymoney; 05-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
^^ What he said.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Update:

Hey guys,

Stopped by Eurocharged earlier today to get my new V3 tune on my ML63 AMG (V1 was a much older tune), and I can say the car performing even better than it used to before. Going to get it redynoed to see how much more its making, but I can say that the part throttle refinements are significant and the car feels even stronger on the top end than before.

I told him how I wanted to get back into the 4.7L Astons and he brought up that the new 2nd Version (V2) of the tune has now been released as of a few weeks ago for the 4.7L Astons (and Im sure the 4.3L astons soon to follow). He said the gains are now equal or higher to what my 4.3L were (roughly 33-34HP at the wheels), as well as refined part/throttle maps and etc.

So I guess I spoke to soon when I first made this thread , V1 was just a more conservative tune until he brought out new versions with added refinements. For those looking to get their 4.7L Tuned, I highly recommend getting the V2 done as his revisions tend to be worthwhile updates (besides if you already own V1, V2 upgrade is free as with any tune you do with EuroCharged).

On a side note: A certain member on this board (which will go unnamed ... for now), got a tune done by Jerry @ EC but did NOT pay for their tune for nearly a couple months. I am not one to call anyone out, but this is certainly not what is expected from an Aston owner, I'm shocked to say the leaset. Whoever that individual may be, It would be the ethical and moral thing to contact Jerry and pay for the tune which he spent 2 full days working on. I will not name names as long as the owner goes in and fulfills his end of the transaction. If not, then I will be forced to name names (I don't want to). These are Astons, let's be civilized ethical & moral gentleman, shall we ? :-)

Anyways, just wanted to keep you updated since this thread popped back up.

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 05-10-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:21 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute
007 - thought the 4.3 V2 EC Tune was available last year? Is it still not released?

Old 05-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Hey cret,

V2 was going to be but I sold my car unexpectedly for the Lambo so the development halted for a bit. The power gains between 4.3-V1 and 4.3-V2 probably won't be as drastic (1-2HP gain, mostly part throttle refinement) as the 4.7s, but only a couple have the V1, the rest from here on out will all be V2s for the 4.7s (closer to 6-7HP gain).

Last edited by 007 Vantage; 05-10-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
cret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond reputecret has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification. Besides the HP gain, the refinement of the throttle response would be great. I shall wait for the 4.3-V2 release. Can the tune be done with the Handheld Programmer EC offers?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:07 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !

In the interest of full disclosure, do you have any involvement, financial or otherwise, (other than being a satisfied customer) with Eurocharged?

Just curious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 4.3 vs 4.7 ECU dyno results ...