Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Outdoor Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Yes.....

Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AMFixer
Yes.....
Thank you.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 AM
droffsite will become famous soon enough
No. You should be able to handle this. It is really simple. Should take about 20 mins or so
Sorry, I'm a little slow. Okay, a lot slow. Do you mean I can do the work myself (presumably after buying the part), or the dealer should take care of it for me no charge?

Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2012, 08:26 AM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by droffsite
No. You should be able to handle this. It is really simple. Should take about 20 mins or so
Sorry, I'm a little slow. Okay, a lot slow. Do you mean I can do the work myself (presumably after buying the part), or the dealer should take care of it for me no charge?

Thanks again!
You should be able to handle this. A dealer might charge you for the install. All you need is a 30 torx bit, and about 20mins. Heads up too, once you install the new sensor, it will take a few minutes for the temp to change.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 AM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Well, now that I know where this sensor is (behind the front grill, right?) I can see it is the "thing" on which I caught my wash mit when I washed the car for the first time.

That probably explains why it worked all the way home from Florida but not after I washed the car once.

Does anyone have the part number so I can call someone and order it? Any preferred parts providers?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:22 AM
7G33-19E642-AA, looks to be around $14.00 from a dealer. You may need the last six of your vin when you order it.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
My ...temp readout tonight showed 132f versus an actual exterior temperature of 77f.

So, is that typical behavior for a failed sensor?
Yes.....
Does anyone have the part number so I can call someone and order it? Any preferred parts providers?
7G33-19E642-AA, looks to be around $14.00 from a dealer. You may need the last six of your vin when you order it.
Thanks to the help of this thread, I provided the noted part number to an Aston dealer on Monday, had the new part in my mailbox Friday, and now my 09 DB9 displays accurate exterior temperatures, instead of 132(f) on a cool day.

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks to the help of this thread, I provided the noted part number to an Aston dealer on Monday, had the new part in my mailbox Friday, and now my 09 DB9 displays accurate exterior temperatures, instead of 132(f) on a cool day.

Thanks!
bout how long did it take you to install it....once you figured out how to disconnect it

Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
bout how long did it take you to install it....once you figured out how to disconnect it
I couldn't get enough slack in the wiring to go in from the front, so I had to remove the metal cover from the engine compartment. So, a few minutes to remove all the screws holding the cover in place, a few moments to replace the switch, and a few minutes to reinstall the cover and all those dang screws.

If I had to do it again, maybe 20 minutes total, quicker if I didn't care about scratching anything.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:37 PM
tsang002 is on a distinguished road
Hi all, I just purchased a 07 AMV8, love it with only 13800 miles on it. After driving it for the first time in bumper to bumper traffic, with A/C full blast in the summer heat the A/C stopped working, it was blowing hot air. I freak out and then notice the cars temperature was all the way to H and the red led turned on. I hurried up and pull off the frwy and let the car cool down. After 15 min I drove her it back home. I checked the water and it was fine but I notice the temp sensor in front of the car was dangling on the cables. Do you agree that this was the cause that caused the car to over heat? Since then I remounted it back up and drove it hard trying to replicate the issue but to no avail. I had a mechanic test it out running it and having AC on and he could not replicate it. What should I do at this point, replace the sensor anyways or wait till it happens again. My temp reading has always been reading kinda high too? Please help... Should of probably kept my GT3 now!!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:18 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
My vin falls outside the Bul. #s and reads high temp when in traffic. Was stuck in traffic on an organized drive to OC and recorded a very high temp and when I stalled the car pulling away, it went into limp mode for an emmission fault that I had to reset with obd. Not sure if the high temp was the cause or the stall.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:29 PM
JWHDB9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tsang002
Do you agree that this was the cause that caused the car to over heat? Since then I remounted it back up and drove it hard trying to replicate the issue but to no avail. I had a mechanic test it out running it and having AC on and he could not replicate it. What should I do at this point, replace the sensor anyways or wait till it happens again. My temp reading has always been reading kinda high too? Please help... Should of probably kept my GT3 now!!
Apparently a faulty outside air temperature sensor, not to be confused with the engine temperature sensor, can cause all sorts of problems. Some of them have been mentioned earlier in this thread. Did you notice if the outside air temperature was showing a high (120-140º) reading?

In all probability it’s that the sensor is bad, not that it had come loose. In fact, it’s been suggested that the mounting location is to blame for high readings (probably not really the cause), so it would seem that because it was hanging down in cooler air that would actually help the problem. The fact that remounting it seems to have corrected the situation may be pure coincidence. If it’s an intermittent problem, we all know how much fun those can be to get diagnosed!

A couple of weeks ago the sensor went bad in my DB9 causing multiple problems. The first indication was the constantly high outside temperature reading. The paddle shifters went out but reset when the car was shut down and restarted, the A/C fan was surging intermittently and the A/C wouldn’t hold a constant temperature, and the one that really had me concerned was a brake failure warning. That also went away when the car was restarted, but it made for a nervous ride home!

The sensor was replaced under warranty (it’s a 2011) and that seems to have cured all of the problems (fingers crossed!). The service person I talked to said that when they checked everything out the battery was low and that might have caused the fault warnings, but I had just driven about 250 miles so one would think that would be plenty to have a full charge. He said that I should keep it plugged into the battery conditioner if I’m not driving it nearly every day. I’m not buying that because I’ve been driving it for more than two years without doing that. Also, one of the earlier posts mentioned that a faulty sensor could even cause a DB9 to fail to take a full charge.

Apparently the sensor is (or was) a piece of junk and it can affect any number of electrical components in the car. The service department said that they even had new cars come off the transporter with bad ones. I would definitely replace yours and see if the problems go away. I didn’t intend to write a book on the subject, but as you can see it’s a complicated situation. On the bright side, you didn’t say that you have a Volante so you didn’t get caught in the rain with a top that wouldn’t go up. Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 AM
tsang002 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=JWHDB9;3915057]Apparently a faulty outside air temperature sensor, not to be confused with the engine temperature sensor, can cause all sorts of problems. Some of them have been mentioned earlier in this thread. Did you notice if the outside air temperature was showing a high (120-140º) reading?

I notice a 10-20 degree different one day but I never saw it reaching 120-140. Regardless, I will order a new ambient temp sensor and swap it is since it seems inexpensive. Thanks for your response.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Bodessem has a spectacular aura aboutBodessem has a spectacular aura about
TSANG,

did this correct your problem? My A/C stopped working as well. My temp was 14 degrees higher than it was outside. As I was driving on the beltway the temp dropped but still higher than the actual temperature. Some of the others had extreme temperature disparity but yours is similar to mine. Thx.

Bodessem

Old 12-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bodessem
TSANG,

did this correct your problem? My A/C stopped working as well. My temp was 14 degrees higher than it was outside. As I was driving on the beltway the temp dropped but still higher than the actual temperature. Some of the others had extreme temperature disparity but yours is similar to mine. Thx.

Bodessem
The ambient temp should not be more than 5C off..not compared to the local weather channel but rather 5-6 inchs from the front grill..now if your just sitting in stop/go traffic and notice the display temp rise, this can be normal

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Outdoor Temperature Sensor