Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Predictions on long term values of Vantages?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Rob J is on a distinguished road
Predictions on long term values of Vantages?

As some may know, I'm in the market for a nice, low mile 2007-2008 Vantage.

I'm looking at several low mileage cars which range from 9k miles to 15k miles or so.

Most of these car it seems I should be able to negotiate the purchase price from the low 60's to the mid/high sixties, depending on the car.

What can you long time Aston experts predict a 2007 Vantage that I can buy in the low sixties today would be worth in say two to three years down the road with I'd estimate 30k miles on it or so?

I just want to get a better feel for the depreciation of the earlier cars to gauge my expected losses. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 PM
dbp
dbp is on a distinguished road
I just bought a 2007 Vantage and I agree with your target price range. You'll see most cars priced in the 70s, but I'm not convinced they're selling for that. I picked up an '07 Vantage with 9,000 miles for $67,000, and it has $10,000 in RSC upgrades.

As for depreciation... anything anyone says is just a guess. And frankly, if that matters, perhaps it's not the right choice. You should be buying a car to drive it, not to sell it. I worry about what my experience will be driving a car, not selling it. A car like this is not an investment... I see that you get that, but you're still wondering just how bad of an investment is it. In fact it was in reading your post that I even realized my stance, and that I never even thought about what this car will be worth down the road. I personally never buy a vehicle with plans to sell it, even knowing that someday I surely will. Of course, this is all looking through my glasses, and it's perfectly acceptable that you have a different point of view. :-) I like having emotional responses to cars that I can justify. This car is now at a price point that my emotional response is justified given my current financial situation, while I still lust after the 2013 Vanquish and it's not justified given my current financial situation. If resale in just three years is important, perhaps this "investment" isn't the right one.

David

Old 11-04-2012, 11:54 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Like that of most exotics, aston sell prices stabilize relatively firmly at some point and then stay there with some of the limited unit productions or uniquely optioned units going back up in value over time. I'd say you'd loose maybe a couple grand if that on reasonable resale increment if you buy a car close to that already stabilized price point.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Rob J is on a distinguished road
I hear, and totally understand what you are talking about when referring to not buying a vehicle such as this as an investment. I mean if I was buying only on investment potential, I'd obviously be looking at another classic car. While I love, and own several classic cars, I would be buying the Vantage for the reasons stated in the posts above.
But, being financially savvy, I like to base my car purchases these days with more than just emotion involved. Obviously, it has to be a car I like, and strikes emotion, but at the same time I don't want to have to worry about major depreciation. For example, I like the Cadillac CTS-V Coupes, however I'd never buy a brand new one, as I know I'd loose my rear end when the time comes to sell in 2,3,4 years. So, as much as I like them, my reason and logic will prevent me from buying a new one. Same with the Astons. Seems it's not a smart buying decision to purchase these new, unless you don't mind loosing 1/2 your value in 5 years or so. While I make a good living, I don't millions a year, so I don't have to have the latest and greatest Aston. If I made millions a year, then it'd be the small price to pay to own, drive, and enjoy the latest and greatest.
I'm also not the kind of guy that keeps cars for many years. Since I'm a big gear head, and love cars so much, I enjoy new experiences every couple of years. From what I can see, my plan is to purchase most likely an 07 Vantage, keep it a couple of years, and then upgrade to a 2009-2010 model. That's the reason I was concerned what the value of an 07 would estimatevily (is that even a word) be in say 2-3 years. IE: I just want to make sure these cars won't be trading hands for 30k in 2-3 years.

Thanks for the help, Rob.