Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Websites to sell my AM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Allen121 is on a distinguished road
Websites to sell my AM

I'm selling my V8V and finding it challenging to find quality buyers. I have an ad on AutoTrader, Cars.com, Craigslist, and here. In your experience, what other sites are good? Also, what are your thoughts on consignment services?

Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I sell most all my cars on EBAY with No Reserve and let the Market set the price. I know most people are not bold enough to do that, but it has always worked out for me because of the psychology of the auction format. What I do is typically get a wholesale price from CarMax or similar, and then start the auction at that price. I usually wind up getting well over the ad prices in the formats you list (above).

For example, I had a '96 993 Porsche C4S (with 14K miles) in showroom condition that I could get no takers on for $ 50K. Advertised on all the car forums with no hits. Took it to CarMax and they offered $ 32K for it wholesale. Fine. That became my start price on EBAY with no reserve. The car attracted huge attention and I had 36 bids and finished at $ 54K to a buyer from Wyoming. I have done at least six vehicles that way, all high-line rides, all generated better prices than I expected.

EBAY has a huge following. Most the cars there have high reserves based on blue book values and don't sell. Yes, you have to put it out there at wholesale and have faith in the bidders moving it to fair market value - but if you want to sell it, that's the way to do it. Most people are risk adverse to that type of selling and want more money for their rides, and as such lose their nerve to start it at wholesale (basically Manahiem Auction Prices). The reality of the deal is what you want for the car - and what it will actually bring - can be two different things. You have your car listed at $ 74,500. That's full retail for an 07. Wholesale is around $ 54K to $ 56K on it (I just bought an '07 Vantage myself so I'm pretty up to speed on current pricing). Put it on EBAY at the lowest price and as close to those wholesale values as you can tolerate and with no reserve - and it will sell.

Good luck!

Last edited by drcollie; 11-15-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 AM
I totally forgot about eBay. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Have bought and sold 60+ cars/suvs in the last 20 years. Forget the forums, worst place to try and sell a car...... (of the cars/suvs I've sold, none were ever sold to someone who saw it on one of the forums)

Only places you need you have listed:

eBay
Autotrader
Cars.com
Craigslist

All others are a waste of time and money. Anyone seriously looking for your car will look on those sites first.

As critical as the website you list on are, great pictures, accurate description (not wordy or written like it were from the stereotypical used car salesperson...) and be responsive.

Forget the consignment services/dealers. If you're willing to net what you'll get from a sale there, you might as well just lower your price?

Good luck.

Last edited by LRDog; 11-16-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:55 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
don't totally discount the forums... i've bought and sold cars on a few forums. i even bought my V8V from another 6speedonline member. it's good for buyers because they can often find extra info about the car in the seller's forum history.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
I've generally had the best luck on CL or AutoTrader. Just wasn't sure if there are other sites that would be better for selling an exotic car. Thanks guys!

Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
don't totally discount the forums... i've bought and sold cars on a few forums. i even bought my V8V from another 6speedonline member. it's good for buyers because they can often find extra info about the car in the seller's forum history.
Don't disagree that it doesn't happen and agree that it's a good way to gain info on a car and perhaps the sekker if the seller participates on a forum. I've pointed buyers to a particular forum to check me out and get more info about a car I'm selling but have not had much response or luck to forum ads other then, "nice car, GLWS....." But that's just me....

Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
I believe Ebay gets the most action in terms of looking up vehicles....
Ebay, Autotrader, and car forums

Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Rob J is on a distinguished road
I, too, agree that your price of 74k is way too high for a 2007. Your car is beautiful, and I like the color combo, but I have seen 2007's go for far less. I actually just missed a 2007 (by one day) that went for 15k less than your asking price. I thought about it too long, and somebody else got it.

For the record, I too, have bought and sold several cars on car forums. My last car sold on a forum was last year when I sold my Factory Five Cobra.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Rob J
I, too, agree that your price of 74k is way too high for a 2007. Your car is beautiful, and I like the color combo, but I have seen 2007's go for far less. I actually just missed a 2007 (by one day) that went for 15k less than your asking price. I thought about it too long, and somebody else got it.
Precisely the reason I don't think the forums are a good place to advertise a car for sale........

I checked eBay and his asking price doesn't seem out of line.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 PM
A local wholesaler offered $65K for it last week. I told him that I'll consider it as my last resort.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:04 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Is your Vantage an automatic or a manual trans car? Your ad here on the forum lists it as having both - which of course it cannot. Have a site like Photobucket where you have detailed photos?

I have two pals that have caught the Vantage bug after being around mine the past month since I got it....both coming out of Porsches. So I'm shopping for them. Looking for a manual trans Roadster for one and a coupe for the other (also manual trans). No autos...

Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Allen121
A local wholesaler offered $65K for it last week. I told him that I'll consider it as my last resort.
I would take that deal! Nice car though!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Rob J is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dan87951
I would take that deal! Nice car though!
I'd take that deal as well, as I've seen lots of 2007's sell for less than that.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:22 AM
ssaa77 is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I just sold my 07 for 64k. I started at 70k and decided to move because I had my next car pending. Can you get more, probably, but you'll have to be patient. Agree with posters that this forum can be great selling if cars are priced reasonably. Bought my last three cars through this site and they were all from car nuts like me! IMHO, better than buying from a dealer.