Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Sportshift downshifting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:00 PM
dtolo1 is on a distinguished road
Vantage Sportshift downshifting

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I'm interested to know how other sportshift owners drive their cars...

For example, if coming up to a red light in say 2nd or 3rd gear, do you downshift through to 1st while braking to a stop? Or just brake and let the car go into 1st itself?
(In a normal stick shift I would just coast the last few feet in neutral, never shifting all the way down to 1st before stopping)

A bit of a random question I know, but I'm wondering if there is a "correct" way to handle this and also if it does any harm to downshift into 1st??

Cheers,

Old 12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
I almost always downshift to 2nd and let the car disengage to first. Makes it smoother.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 PM
timwhayden is on a distinguished road
A lot of the Gallardo owners with egear just shift into neutral and coast to a stop to prolong the clutch life, because it is also known for going through clutches quickly like the sportshift is.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 PM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
I tried doing the neutral thing, but it's just to much trouble for me. I do both, just depends on what mood I'm in - you're fine either way.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM
dtolo1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I have heard people say to avoid shifting down to 1st with the Lambo egear to extend clutch life, so was wondering if the same applies to the vantage ss.

Any other sportshift tips/techniques?

Cheers,

Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM
dehnert is on a distinguished road
I shift down myself. This was hammered into me by years of racing, as was left foot braking.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:28 PM
uxchamp is on a distinguished road
I down shift 3 > 2 > 1, because I love the sound it makes as I roll to the red light. Sometimes it even gives a nice pop. I'm a sucker for stuff like that.