Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2011 xkr

Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
Mfrankel I have generally not liked tu-tone when the spokes are silver or have color but the lip is black. it seems to shrink the wheel or loose the dept - particularly if the lip shines. But if the black is matte you can see between the spokes and provides some texture. All of this being said your car looks good and understated. A slight drop to close some the fender gap will make it smokin!

Regarding the rivets, all blacked out on a Jag or Aston is extreme to me. Seems more Z06, GTR Lambo etc - ish. Astons and Jags are somewhat like fine jewelry. You notice little details that are understated but convey "bespokeness" - you guys like that word ;-). So while I agree I have seen that accented rivets look it is actually much more subtle than a fully polished lip or spokes. If you have all blacked out wheel that is pushing the envelop for a Jag or Aston, then you have the little rivets that add some color and panache. Albeit still something that has been done on cheaper more focused performance cars. But hey, wheels are wheels. There is nothing you can put on our cars that hasn't been done on less elegant marques right!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:18 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
I think split 5 spokes (or some variation of 5 spokes look extremely nice and just plain work perfectly) ...also a concave 10 spoke like LRDog has looks amazing on the shape of the DB or xk for that matter since design cues are similar I am extrapolating the wheel styles would render the same results.

I have the sport pack with the forged factory split 5 spoke and titanium wheel lugs, I think it just works perfect with the shape of the car. Something that looks similar aftermarket I think would look great as for colors a brushed or machined fihish face with silver or even darker windows and barrel may be quite nice. here are some pics of my DB9 with the factory Sport wheels:

Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 AM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sunir
...also a concave 10 spoke like LRDog has looks amazing on the shape of the DB
Thanks Sunir! One of the reasons I like the P44SC is it has a stock appearance and looks as though it could have originally been stock on the car.

Last edited by LRDog; 12-26-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Evoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud ofEvoking has much to be proud of
So the Ace Convex and the Matte Mica Gray Mesh 7 seem to be the best bang for buck. The mesh is great if I want that dark look. The Convex for concavity but only looks right in Hypersilver. BC Forged, Rennen and ADV1 look great but are 3-4x. What do you guys think? Is the Convex just nice for the $ or nice period?

Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
@the OP... drop me an email - Stuart@RSCTuning.com We have some great performance products for your car, exhaust, high flow cats, supercharger pulley & ECU Tune. A Jag Dealer near you just placed an order with me for some of our XKR parts, and they are actively looking to push our products so you should be able to buy all of those with full dealer support.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Really digging these ADV1's. Elegant and understated since when they spin it looks like a turbine - smooth. Yet sporty as they look motorsport-ish. Also makes the car look sharp and chisled since the spokes are so thin and pointy. These, Ace Convex or Ace Mesh 7?

Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Evoking
Really digging these ADV1's. Elegant and understated since when they spin it looks like a turbine - smooth. Yet sporty as they look motorsport-ish. Also makes the car look sharp and chisled since the spokes are so thin and pointy.
Don't do it. They looklike something you'd see as a cheap aftermarket rim on a VW. Sorry......

FF

Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Perhaps you are saying this due to the color? Would do in black...

Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
They sort of remind me of my 15 spoke OEM wheels (PITA to clean, by the way). The ADVs look like you could get a bit concave depending on size.

But if you're going to have black wheels, it probably doesn't matter what you choose -- they never show detail all that well anyway.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 PM
The key to seeing detail with a black wheel is to do them in Matte. Gloss black causes all the curves and detail to be lost in the reflections. Matte provides texture, absorbs light and shows the shape. These would be much easier to maintain because they aren't bright silver and already look dirty.

I actually used to hate black wheels as I saw no point. Why pay lots of $ for a wheel that disappears and looks like a steel wheel missing the hubcap from back in the day. But then I began to appreciate the detail that IS shown with a dark gray or matte black wheel. On a black car you can go for much contrast with polished lips etc or that subtle understated look that makes the car more menacing and mysterious.

Both are great. Here is a matte mesh on Vantage - no lip. The next one is my old Z4M with a deep polished lip. I'm starting to favor concave or no lip and a matte finish these days - never thought I would...

Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Evoking
Both are great. Here is a matte mesh on Vantage - no lip. The next one is my old Z4M with a deep polished lip. I'm starting to favor concave or no lip and a matte finish these days - never thought I would...
You are evolving? A wheel with a huge lip is sooooo yesterdays news!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
A fat 'ole lip was hot back in the day...I'm in my mid 30's so lets say maybe just after undergrad, early 2000's that was the look...I had a set on my M3 at the time and loved it! I think they still have a place and they still can be cool you just need to have the right car for 'em.

I'd say nowadays I like striaghtup factory, or concave multispoke - no lip or very little lip...when a wheel looks right on a car you just know...it's a feeling, be they mesh, 10 spoke, 6 spoke, or split 5's, solid 5's (my current favs) or whatever

Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
huge lips look better with a lowered car IMO......
they do have their place in todays style.....but the concave look
is very nice...

so what do you all you experts consider to be modern?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Rotes
huge lips look better with a lowered car IMO......
they do have their place in todays style.....but the concave look
is very nice...

so what do you all you experts consider to be modern?
certainly not an expert but, I do have an opinion..... huge lips on wheels are certainly not what I would consider modern, not even on a lowered car.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Banned
Rotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to beholdRotes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LRDog
certainly not an expert but, I do have an opinion..... huge lips on wheels are certainly not what I would consider modern, not even on a lowered car.
no offence meant
just wondering
I do agree with you, but at the same time just meant I've seen some that really make the car look great.....but it is seldom hehe......
some wide bodied cars look great with that fat lip business.....

HNY!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 xkr