6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Vantage Seatbelt Strap (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/297297-vantage-seatbelt-strap.html)

wem 01-13-2013 08:18 AM

Vantage Seatbelt Strap

2 Attachment(s)
The factory magnets that hold the seatbelt strap in my V8VS (and my previous Vantage) are too weak to hold the leather strap secure. I found an inexpensive solution. By using two small doughnut shaped, nickel plated rare earth magnets (super strong), the straps stay in place. I used two on each seat. I used super glue to secure the bottom magnet to the factory magnet on the seat side. I did not glue the two magnets together, and I did not glue the strap side so that I can still release the strap if necessary. A set of 10 rare earth magnets cost about $15.

dicktahoe 01-13-2013 09:59 AM

Thanks for an excellent, easy to implement suggestion to a nagging problem--I just added to your "Rep Power".

DoctorWill 01-13-2013 06:26 PM

Thank you! I was just about to post about this issue. Where did you order the magnets?

62Jeff 01-13-2013 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorWill (Post 3741650)
Where did you order the magnets?

Click on the Amazon link in his post.

kba 01-13-2013 08:57 PM

Thank you! This is such an annoying issue. How do you give rep power? Because you definitely earned it

plastique999 01-13-2013 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by DoctorWill (Post 3741650)
Thank you! I was just about to post about this issue. Where did you order the magnets?

Will, on you brand new V12V?

DoctorWill 01-13-2013 09:39 PM

Yep, their magnet is useless!

Originally Posted by plastique999 (Post 3741816)

Will, on you brand new V12V?

Speedraser 01-13-2013 09:44 PM

Interesting, because I've never had this problem. If the center raised part of one "half" of the magnet is seated in the center recessed part of the other "half," it has always held perfectly well.

DoctorWill 01-13-2013 10:27 PM

I thought it was just my car until I saw this post the magnet doesn't stick so the latch is always open. I think I'll give the extra magnet a try!

Originally Posted by DoctorWill (Post 3741828)
Yep, their magnet is useless!

sunir 01-13-2013 11:46 PM

What's the deal w this strap thingy? Seats on the vantage are similar to the DB9/DBS is basic shape and so forth I thought, I don't ever recall seeing or using such a strap or magnets in my DB9 just pull the seatbelt and fasten like any other car...why didn't Aston just use a nice button instead of weaker magnets for the vantage?

groutguy 01-13-2013 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by sunir (Post 3741881)
What's the deal w this strap thingy? Seats on the vantage are similar to the DB9/DBS is basic shape and so forth I thought, I don't ever recall seeing or using such a strap or magnets in my DB9 just pull the seatbelt and fasten like any other car...why didn't Aston just use a nice button instead of weaker magnets for the vantage?

No such strap on my V12V either!

DoctorWill 01-14-2013 12:20 AM

Really, I have them on my V12V!

Originally Posted by groutguy (Post 3741884)

No such strap on my V12V either!

Racer_X 01-14-2013 04:46 AM

Rare earth magnets are a good idea, but is it necessary to superglue them in place? I lean towards easily reversible modifications.

wem 01-14-2013 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Racer_X (Post 3741918)
Rare earth magnets are a good idea, but is it necessary to superglue them in place? I lean towards easily reversible modifications.

My first attempt was to use the two rare earth magnets without super glue. You should also try it first without super glue (it might work for some). In my case, I discovered that while the supplemental magnets did not separate from each other, the weak point was between the bottom supplemental magnet and the factory magnet on the seat (i.e. the strap still did not hold all the time. The strap separated with the 2 supplemental magnets attached to the strap side factory magnet). When I super glued the bottom magnet (4 drops on the bottom magnet) to the factory magnet on the seat, everything held together. I did not need to super glue the top magnet to the factory strap magnet (if you want you can super glue the top magnet to the strap magnet, but only if you use a pair of supplemental magnets so that the strap can still be undone when necessary by separating the magnetic bond between the two supplemental magnets - fyi, rare earth magnets are very strong). Although you cannot see the supplemental magnets when the strap is fastened, I chose rare earth magnets that had a nickel finish to match the factory magnet finish. I also chose a doughnut shaped magnet to accommodate the raised pin on the factory magnet. Usually I hesitate to make "permanent" changes, but the flopping strap was such an annoyance that I felt it was worth making the alteration especially since no one will notice it when the strap is in place, and most won't even notice what was done when you lift up the strap.

dicktahoe 01-14-2013 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by kba (Post 3741802)
How do you give rep power? Because you definitely earned it

To Give "Rep Power" click on the "Star Medal" up in the right-hand corner by the Red Exclamation Point.