Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Rapide S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
AstroAston is on a distinguished road
Rapide S

You've probably all seen the pictures... any thoughts? Is this "big mouth" grille going to flow into other future designs as well?

I actually liked it at first glance, but the more I look at it.. the more I think it lost it's distinctive Aston grille shape.... and actually looks more like a Ford grille (not to mention it seems like they hopped on the oversized grille trend). Love the other updates in and out though.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I love the grille. It's a big car, and it does not look like a Ford Fusion.

I like how it reminds me of the Zagato.

The backend is too tame.

The car is beautiful. But it's too conservative. It will be dated in a few years.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
Bottom of Grill lack of design consistency

I am okay with a larger grill opening on the larger vehicle, but it almost appears that the front end was abruptly cut off and this is the wound shape. It just doesn't flow with the rest of the vehicle. Bigger on this car is good, but it's too big vertically.

I do like the aggressiveness, and better than the Zagato.

I can't decide whether it's cool & tough, or just too much, and that's not good. Usually I know right away if something works well, and felt myself trying to like it.

Astro, you're right, the marquee grill shape....which really is one of themost universally appealing features and signature of the AM brand, does not need to be fiddled with too much. In an effort to be different, it's worse. Iam all for making design changes that work, but being radical with signature features we all not just like, but Adore about the brand, is questionable decisionmaking IMO. If it ain't broke....don'tbe like every other mainstream non-luxury brand.

This isn't the first though...between the new DB9 & Vanquish, the bottomof the grill and the flappy under features, especially from the side view,seems abrupt and doesn't flow well with the overall lines of these vehicles. At least they stopped that nonsense with this update. I really don't like that look.

I prefer the new grill shape on the Rapide S to the new DB9 & Vanquish with their split underneath...but really think the missed the mark on both. Why are they having trouble getting it right with the bottom of the grill opening? Too much tinkering.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 PM
gircal is on a distinguished road
I know. They borrowed a grill design cue from the new Toyota Avalon. Toyota Avalon? Ugh! (Should have left well enough alone ... the existing Rapide is stunning!)

Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Anyone want to post some pics of the car? For discussion referencing design features and stylistic viewpoints pictures in the thread helps the discussion.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 PM
mfrankel is on a distinguished road
Which would you rather?

Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sunir
Anyone want to post some pics of the car? For discussion referencing design features and stylistic viewpoints pictures in the thread helps the discussion.
There's plenty of pictures on the Aston Martin website.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:27 AM
klmc is on a distinguished road
I am not crazy about the new grill yet - with a numberplate on it will look Audi'ish I think. I do like the "new" wheels though and the more horsepower will help satisfy some motor journalists - but with just 0.3 seconds off I wonder if it will make much difference to the typical Rapide driver. Those who want a very fast 4 door car would probably look at the new AMG 63.

The new grill might grow on me in time - but for now I'll keep my "old" Rapide.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
My list of fav "new model" grills in order of what I like best to worst:

1) new vanq is best
2) new db9 second best
3) rapide S is worst. It's not appealing to me... If they want a large front grille what's the matter w the zegato large front grille, that one looks better in my opinion.

All this said ... Best front grilles are still the original DB9/DBS and Vantage v8/S/v12 Trying to change those is like trying to paint a moustache on the Mona lisa, why mess w perfection when you got it right the first time!

Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
The grille is a bit on the tall side, but I don't think it ruins the look of the car. Still one of, if not the, best looking sedans on the market.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 AM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
The grill is way too big it lacks the classic aston refinement. I do not like it and think the previous generation looked better.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM
LotusJPS is on a distinguished road
I really don't care for it. Nothing about it reads Aston Martin. I think it would look right at home on a Ford, Toyota, or even a Porsche Caynne, but not an Aston. It's kind of sad that a Ford Fusion grill looks more like an Aston Martin than a Rapide S. If they were to carry it over to the rest of the like I think it would definitely influence my decision to purchase another one.

Last edited by LotusJPS; 01-24-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM
barryf43 is on a distinguished road
Based on the photos, I do not like it at all. Changes the whole look of the front end of the car. A bad cross between the new Ford grill and the Audi grill. I hope it doesn't spread to the rest of the model lineup.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:35 PM
mperez225 is on a distinguished road
I don't like the new front grill. I hope they don't do the same for the Vantage replacement when that comes out.

Originally Posted by AstroAston
You've probably all seen the pictures... any thoughts? Is this "big mouth" grille going to flow into other future designs as well?

I actually liked it at first glance, but the more I look at it.. the more I think it lost it's distinctive Aston grille shape.... and actually looks more like a Ford grille (not to mention it seems like they hopped on the oversized grille trend). Love the other updates in and out though.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:38 PM
FatFrank has a spectacular aura aboutFatFrank has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AstroAston
Really not sure about this, I will really need to see it in the flesh to finalize my opinion. So far I am a little worried, but Aston has never really done anything Design wise that I don't like so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rapide S