Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Anyone create a dedicated Vantage track car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
See, when you post something like that I just lose my good judgement

All the well reasoned advice from people with experience starts to fade.

Honestly, how cool would that be on track day???

Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
If any of you build a Vantage racecar, I call dibs on any factory bits you remove in the name of weight savings.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by kba
what about buying an already track-prepped aston and shipping it over (uk/europe)? You'd have to look into import laws, but i think since it'd be a non-street legal car it shouldn't be to much of an issue?

Ex:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ar-alec/289403
F**k Ya!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
i guess i'll chime in, since this is something i've thought about quite a bit. i've been trying to stay out of this thread because it'll only scare me away but ultimately make me want to do it even more - i'm a glutton for punishment, i guess.

i love working on cars, and i love driving them. i've done a few drag races and auto-crosses, but i've only done one road course. it was Road Atlanta with my V8V at a 2-day HPDE. it was incredible and it made me appreciate my car even more than i already did. even since, i've wanted to build an AM for the track. however, the running costs are really high and the wait for parts can be lengthy so i started looking elsewhere. anything i've found always results in this conversation:

me: this RX7/BRZ/NSX/etc would make a great track car.
the girlfriend: i don't like it.
me: why not?
her: i just don't. it looks like a Ford Probe/ricer car/Civic/whatever. i wouldn't want to ride in it.
me: but... it's a track car, you wouldn't really be riding in it.
her: i don't care. i'd rather you buy another AM or a Porsche.
me: but that'd cost twice as much as anything else i'm looking at.
her: that's fine. an AM track car would be awesome.

although it's kind of a ridiculous debate on her part, no matter how absurd it is, i forget everything else once she says, "just buy another AM." how can i argue with that? (on a semi-related note, she can drive stick in 4" heels.)

so my own line thinking, financially:
i'd be getting a V8V for as cheap as possible - options, miles, ext/int condition don't matter. i'd be doing the majority of the work myself and with knowledgeable friends, so labor is cheap/free. that includes regular maintenance, so that isn't a factor. it'd be a track car so insurance would be minimal except for track days. i'd be learning a lot from working on the car, so i can chalk some of the cost of the car as an "educational" experience (this was the case with a '93 RX7 twin turbo i used to have. i bought it just to learn how to work on rotary engines, sold it after a couple years).

emotionally:
i love Aston Martins. they're one of the very, very few cars that make me giggle like a school girl when i drive them. you're all aware of how AMs *feel* when driven, so i won't beat a dead horse. an AM track car is extremely unique. hell, it's rare enough seeing an AM on a track at all. sure, there are better track cars out there, but i'm not competing or really racing, so what do i care about what's better? i want what i want, and i want what i know i'll enjoy. and let's face it... it's friggin' awesome. who doesn't want to say, "i have an Aston Martin race car."

but... take all of it with a grain of salt. it'll be at least a couple years before i can seriously consider pulling the trigger on any of this. we're going to be building a house before getting another car!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Don't do it. I've been racing since 2003 and instructing on track for a good part of a decade now. There are much better choices than an AM on track, what you are not factoring is operational budget, tires, panels, consumables etc. That is where the real cost is. I raced and still own a BMW M3 CSL Touring car, my costs were anywhere from $4 - $5K per race event (and mind you this was the better part of a decade ago now), assuming no contact to the car and no engine/drivetrain damage. So essentially a perfect weekend, with a strong car and a competitive pole/podium race result as a front pack car. Even though you will be doing HPDE you have some choices to make it fun and cost effective. We can talk more about this in person. Maybe, once I get a passengers side seat and harness I can take you out on track in my race car and show you that you do not need any more that 250hp and a well balanced chassis to run circles around the big hp cars.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
I wanted to do it, but instead I sold my heavy R8 V10 and bought a beautiful light Cayman R (2012). The car is a joy on the track and parts are not cheap, but not expensive either (except for seats).

The best part is access to the Porsche community. There is just sooo much knowledge out there. You don't have to guess, as someone out there actually knows.

I have been able to add all of the safety equipment I need, and make adjustments to the suspension etc. This makes driving the car on track a lot more engaging as I'm not concerned about injuring myself or the car.

I have kept my V12 Vantage for street duty. Both cars are a joy, but in different ways.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:24 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
^^^ Cayman R is a great choice for a track car. I had a strudent at VIR last year who took delivery on a brand new Spyder days before the track event. He asked me to drive so I did. I put a handful of quick laps down on this topless roadster and all I can say was wow, what a car, feedback was excellent, the car has a gentle slide on cornder exit to track out when hard on the throttle, very stable, very predicatable. just a pure joy to drive fast on a racing circuit.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:29 PM
agreed. It was the most fun I have had on a track and I have had some much "faster" cars out thee. the Cayman R is just a blast to drive. Almost telepathic. Definitely confidence boosting. I felt like the car was making me a better driver.

I'm having a set of Carbon GT2 seats, a Hiego half cage, harness, GT3 A arms, monoball bushings and a set of Pagid pads added to the car. It's great having a car that is purpose built and safe.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by black penguin
agreed. It was the most fun I have had on a track and I have had some much "faster" cars out thee. the Cayman R is just a blast to drive. Almost telepathic. Definitely confidence boosting. I felt like the car was making me a better driver.

I'm having a set of Carbon GT2 seats, a Hiego half cage, harness, GT3 A arms, monoball bushings and a set of Pagid pads added to the car. It's great having a car that is purpose built and safe.
You have the right idea and are on your way to many more days of fun ... your parts selections are spot on. You are going about it in a way that as an instructor (and speaking for many instructors, racers, and driving coaches) I would feel safe in the car, thank you for that.

Oh and the reason you feel the way you do while driving your Cayman R is a testament to Porsche, means they did their job right...the car should make you feel great...and it will teach you a lot. Drive Mosport, it's a treasure in your backyard and one of my personal Favorite tracks in North America!

Old 04-18-2013, 12:43 PM
I drove Mosport last year in my V12 Vantage. Its a challenging track the first time out. I went on an Aston Martin Day. Just 8 of us on that big track for the day. I think they are doing it again this year.

I head out to Calabogie at the start of May for 2.5 days of track instruction. I have never been there, but its also supposed to be a great track.

We are lucky that both of those tracks have had a lot of work done to them this past year. New surfaces, safer runs offs, and spectator and support buildings.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by black penguin
I drove Mosport last year in my V12 Vantage. Its a challenging track the first time out. I went on an Aston Martin Day. Just 8 of us on that big track for the day. I think they are doing it again this year.

I head out to Calabogie at the start of May for 2.5 days of track instruction. I have never been there, but its also supposed to be a great track.

We are lucky that both of those tracks have had a lot of work done to them this past year. New surfaces, safer runs offs, and spectator and support buildings.
With Ron Fellows in charge of Mostport only good things will happen, he is a car guy and a heck of a driver. good guy! Let me know if you guys do the Mostport day this year with Aston. I do driver coaching if you'd like I could maybe fly in and work with ya or a couple of the guys for the weekend, mosport is one of my alltime favs and I would love to be there in bowmanville again!!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Former Vendor
Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !Stuart Dickinson Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kba
What about buying an already track-prepped Aston and shipping it over (UK/Europe)? You'd have to look into import laws, but I think since it'd be a non-street legal car it shouldn't be to much of an issue?

Ex:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ar-alec/289403
You guys all know you can just buy a GT4/GT3/GTE from TRG right? They are Aston Martin Racing North America. Turn-key.

http://www.astonmartin.com/racing/te...-north-america

Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 AM
4pipes is infamous around these parts4pipes is infamous around these parts
Correct. I saw them at my local dealer last Saturday. TRG was there, gave a brief talk and displayed the cars. The GT4, I believe, was "under $200k", and track ready. They are going to have a race series like the Ferrari Challenge soon.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Aston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really niceAston.Ca is just really nice
Originally Posted by sunir
With Ron Fellows in charge of Mostport only good things will happen, he is a car guy and a heck of a driver. good guy! Let me know if you guys do the Mostport day this year with Aston. I do driver coaching if you'd like I could maybe fly in and work with ya or a couple of the guys for the weekend, mosport is one of my alltime favs and I would love to be there in bowmanville again!!
I believe it was in October and I could not attend ... was pretty bummed (would have been my second time out to Mosport w the Vantage in 2012). Would be awesome to see you out there Sunir. Will let you know what I hear this year and I'm sure BP will too.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Been thinking about buying a track car myself. Originally had my sites set pretty high (e.g., Scuderia), but I'm now thinking I may go with an el-cheapo option that is less expensive to maintain/fix and that I would worry less about on the track (and therefore have more fun with). Specifically, was considering something along the lines of a Mazda MX-5 Cup car. Anyone have any opinions on these? Anyone know how I might obtain or build one? I'm guessing there are forums out there that touch on this, but I thought I'd get some input here first if anyone has some to share. Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Anyone create a dedicated Vantage track car?