Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

tail light trim removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 07:07 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
tail light trim removal

I'm sure someone here would be so kind as to inform me as to how to remove the decorative piece in the middle of the db-9 tail light pod. It looks like I have to separate the red lens from the housing base. Thanks for the answer in advance......

Old 03-29-2013, 08:19 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
It's attached with double-sided 3M automotive tape which is really strong. Use a heat gun and then carefully pry it off.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
wow, I didn't expect that......thanks

Old 03-30-2013, 05:03 PM
Quick update.......a double halogen lamp about 15 -20 inches away for about 30 minutes heated up the tape nicely and allowed for the piece to be pried off using only my plastic trim tools and popsicle sticks. Nice and slow on the removal. Going to have a very light smoke done on the lenses.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:43 PM
icebone is on a distinguished road
Old thread bump --> question about this.

I bought access to AstonMartinTech for a day and downloaded all the service bulletins and workshop manuals for my 07MY Vantage, and ordered a replacement taillight and seals from AstonMartinBits to install myself.

However, the workshop manual has essentially no info on replacement. See Section 17.03 -- just one diagram and then nothing. This seems weird given the heat-gun treatment required according to this thread...

And this lack of info is particularly strange since later service bulletins--as well as the online RTS time estimator--refer to specific procedures like 17.03.AA and 17.03.AB, as well as 17.03.AC to de-mist the lights. But I can't see where those procedures are. They're not in the manual.

(1) Does anyone have a workshop manual that includes these details? Mine doesn't.
(2) Is the procedure simple? Bolt covers off, undo three bolts, pop out old light, remove connector, replace with new light, replace connector, new seals, three bolts in?
(3) What sort of fastener tape will I need to replace the trim? There seems to be a lot:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...oduct-Catalog/

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:09 PM
spainconection is on a distinguished road
Old 04-14-2016, 06:05 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I recently installed new carbon fiber tail light inserts from RSC, and used 3M VHB Tape, 1/2 inch x 15 feet. Worked very well, and easily enough.
CATTMAN

Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
There's a bunch of stuff missing from the WSM, and it references numerous sections that apparently don't exist. Really weird.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by telum01
There's a bunch of stuff missing from the WSM, and it references numerous sections that apparently don't exist. Really weird.
Interestingly, the DB9 WSM (identical lights) has a more detailed write up, but the real mother lode is the HTML hotlinked MY12.5 onwards WSM, which has a FULL graphical explanation of the process, including applying the trim with tape. Not sure why this wasn't in the earlier WSM, but I did find it in the end.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
I recently installed new carbon fiber tail light inserts from RSC, and used 3M VHB Tape, 1/2 inch x 15 feet. Worked very well, and easily enough.
CATTMAN
Thanks! My pal who's a mechanic suggested 3M auto molding tape, so I'll try that and see what happens.

I wonder why the lights don't ship with tape? Maybe they do. Don't have mine yet.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:24 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
New lights come with 3M tape pre-installed.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:12 PM
Hocdoc527 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by karlfranz
New lights come with 3M tape pre-installed.
I'm going to replace my carbon inserts on 07 v8v. Carbon faded... Replacing w new carbon inserts. Are they just taped on or are there screws? Please advise

Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 AM
No screws, just tape.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I just installed new carbon fiber inserts, as the old ones had faded, and I am actually interested in a painted set. Does anyone have a line on a pair of lightning silver inserts?
CATTMAN

Old 04-27-2016, 07:12 AM
Hocdoc527 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by karlfranz
No screws, just tape.
thx Karl!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: tail light trim removal