Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

New Owner Bumper DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 PM
rbk1016 is on a distinguished road
New Owner Bumper DIY

Hey guys! Just picked up an 07 AMV8 vert! She's a true beaut, I'll post up pics later this evening..

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have removed either the front and/or rear bumpers and if so how difficult it is?

I truly appreciate any help you guys. Thank you so much.

Rob

Old 06-05-2013, 04:32 PM
AMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to allAMFixer is a name known to all
They both can be a pain but can be done. The rear does require the rear lamps to be removed. The front will require some removal of the air boxes. Both will require fender removal or at least enough to access the bolts.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:59 AM
I truly appreciate your response! Unfortunately I have been unable to find any resources online or through mitchel on demand and so ended up paying Aston UK £70 for single 24 hour period access to the official Aston repair manual online. It is an incredible resource though a bit pricey for $125 a day without the ability to print!!

Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rbk1016
It is an incredible resource though a bit pricey for $125 a day without the ability to print!!
Download! Everything.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
curious... why do you want to remove the bumpers?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:11 PM
I am vinyl wrapping the vehicle matte orange!!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:03 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I paid the buks and had access to the Factory manuals for 24 hours, I downloaded it against my vin number, it also gave me all the advisory bulletins as well as all info on certain changes to the Vantage range it was worth the money spent...

Wrapping a aston is brave and look fwd to seeing the pics

Last edited by captain Greg; 06-08-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:44 PM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
Matte is particularly difficult to keep looking nice because you have to be careful not to get any shiny spots.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Mine is wrapped - taking bumpers off is not required.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:43 PM
kba
kba is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vergis
Mine is wrapped - taking bumpers off is not required.
Ditto. While it will be a better quality finish, it's not absolutely required...+ you'll save money on labor costs.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:06 PM
What's up guys?!

I actually own and operate the vinyl shop, called Sticky Garage LLC in Hicksville, NY!

As captain Greg stated above, paying for access to the service manuals is definitely worth the bux and so I ended up paying for one month access as I'm sure there are other bits and pieces that will need tending as I shake this beast down!

Vergis/kba- when we wrap vehicles, we do a complete breakdown of all moldings, bumpers, head/tail lights, etc. doesn't matter the car, there are no short cuts worth taking..

dicktahoe- In regards to polishing a matte finish: I had my m3 PAINTED matte metallic blue 4-5 years ago before glasurit came out with a clear coat for matte and satin finishes.. The polishing issue is more prominent on painted matte finishes as opposed to the Hexxis material that we use. This is a premium exterior material specifically developed by Hexxis and comes with a 10-year warranty against defects in finish. The truth of the matter is that vinyl should be washed with a gentle agent just as you would any other paint, but we recommend either the Mother's Vinyl Wash or our own private label Sticky Garage Wash as often as necessary with a regular waxing every 3-4 months. We have yet to run into the polishing issue after wrapping nearly 100 vehicles in a matte or satin finish.

So far I have broken down the entire vehicle and have started wrapping the rear beginning with the trunk panel. I am headed out to the shop now to continue and will post pics up shortly.

Thank you all for your help and interest, it is truly appreciated!!

Rob

Sticky Garage LLC
(516) 513-0277
www.stickygarage.com
Insta: stickygarage

Last edited by rbk1016; 06-08-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ Look forward to the before, during and after pics of the wrap.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Breezman will become famous soon enoughBreezman will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by karlfranz
^^^^ Look forward to the before, during and after pics of the wrap.
As well as me.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 AM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Sticky Garage some great work on your website.

I have had my wrap for nearly 3 years. I always make sure I use a very gentle power wash and soft cleaning fluids to keep it clean.

If there is any small marks I cannot remove I use a very dilute meth spirit to remove the mark.

So far wrap looks fresh. No body panels were removed - only the rear light clusters.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Vergis
Sticky Garage some great work on your website.

I have had my wrap for nearly 3 years. I always make sure I use a very gentle power wash and soft cleaning fluids to keep it clean.

If there is any small marks I cannot remove I use a very dilute meth spirit to remove the mark.

So far wrap looks fresh. No body panels were removed - only the rear light clusters.
Thank you for your interest Vergis! If you ever need custom vinyl stickers or graphics (including signage and the like), please feel free to contact me at stickygarage@gmail.com I would be glad to ship out to you! We do custom iDevice and laptop wraps as well.

PS- be very careful with any hydrocarbon based solution when cleaning your vinyl! I usually find windex to be strong enough for most tough to remove substances such as tar and sap. I am working on putting together a full Vinyl Maintenance and Care Kit right now with my own patented solutions. I will be sure to post as soon as those are ready.

Additionally, I have gotten through the door sills at this point. Boy is this one beautifully engineered machine. Picture walk through coming soon.

Thanks guys!

Rob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Owner Bumper DIY