Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Tasteful ways to lighten a V8 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM
paver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud ofpaver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Racer_X
And you had that battery on a GT3? Wonder how much heavier the battery would need to be to turn an extra 6 cylinders. I think the battery you can use depends upon the engine.
Yes, on a GT3.
Take a look at voltphreaks.com
Yes, battery sizing would depend on the engine. I have the vpr-p6. Maybe the VPR-P9 would be the ticket for a V8 or V12. Expensive but if you're driving an AM I'm guessing it's not out of the question.
Tony Hwang there has always been responsive to my e-mails. He could answer any questions. He did a group buy for us GT3 guys over on Rennlist.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 AM
TurboDragon will become famous soon enoughTurboDragon will become famous soon enough
Agree that lightweight seats could be tasteful, but if they knock out the airbags it's a no-go, unless you and your passenger want to drive around in 6-point harnesses. Safety first.
If the stock seats are setup likeBMW seats then it is 30 seconds worth of work. All you have to do is unclip the seat sensor form the seat and then re-plug it in to the harness. Probably have to buy a 10 resistor off ebay then done.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Battery: The best long term solution I have found for battery is the Odyssey PC680. Racers everywhere have been using this bulletproof battery. It is unique in that it is a solid state battery (meaning there is no liquid inside it at all). It weighs only 13lbs and is about $120 (versus lithium ion which is $1500+ or 10x price). Also, the benefit of drycell technology is you can run it down to zero 20 times and charge it right back up and it will not harm long term life of the battery, I had run down my old one countless times (old BMW track car that would sit for months) and as soon as I charged it up it was perfect. Optima batteries are the exact opposite, you run it down once... its a $150 paperweight. The only thing you need with the PC680 is a battery box (there are many available out there that provide very plug & place bolt on solution. The only thing about the PC680 you need to know is it's really only meant for cars you drive regularly. You can go about 2 weeks max before battery runs down. So as long as you drive the car 2x a month or more, you are totally fine (depending on your cars natural idle draw down rate). Also, I had no problem cranking the motor even as low as 30*F so it can handle quite a bit. Should def be no problem for the V8 and I suspect V12 would be fine too if you drive it regularly. Also, I noticed it had so much cranking power that it would actually start my car much faster than stock battery. Instead of taking 3-4 cranks, it would instantly fire on the first crank rotation, pretty impressive.

The PC680 is literally the size of a radio head unit (hard to believe I know)... You will need the brass SAE terminals (extra $12). The cranking amps listed below:

• 680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
  • 595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
  • 525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
  • 17 amp hours
  • Short circuit current over 1800A
  • 25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
  • Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
  • Length 7 1/16"
  • Width 3"
  • Height 6 9/16"
  • Weighs less than 15 lbs
The "direct replacement" batteries I found through google say 850 CCAs, I wonder if the Oddysey can handle the job. Regardless, those are great batteries.

Originally Posted by TurboDragon
If the stock seats are setup likeBMW seats then it is 30 seconds worth of work. All you have to do is unclip the seat sensor form the seat and then re-plug it in to the harness. Probably have to buy a 10 resistor off ebay then done.
I did this with my Subaru STi, using a resistor. Very easy to do. But it's a safety concern for some. I wouldn't do it in my V8V, but it dropped a ton of weight out of my STi.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of

Aren't these figures a bit low? Anyone know what CCA rating is for the stock battery?

Regardless, for $120 it may be worth a shot. I'm wondering though why everyone isn't doing this now given the weight savings and the cost. Seems like there has to be a catch.

So the resistor tricks the system into thinking the OEM seat is still there?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Aren't these figures a bit low? Anyone know what CCA rating is for the stock battery?

Regardless, for $120 it may be worth a shot. I'm wondering though why everyone isn't doing this now given the weight savings and the cost. Seems like there has to be a catch.

So the resistor tricks the system into thinking the OEM seat is still there?
The direct replacement batteries I'm seeing are all 800+ CCA.

The resistor tricks the system into thinking the airbag module is still there.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:26 AM
TurboDragon will become famous soon enoughTurboDragon will become famous soon enough
Correct. The resistor mimics the airbag sensor for the seat. /\ what he said. LOL

Chaining the seats to manual seats also are a option. Motor power seats are pigs for weight.

Example as with telum01 in his STI, I dropped 100LB almost from the car going from stock seats to Recaro Profi XL's. Had to get the big boy seats as I am 6'5.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I hate leaving questions unanswered and I just so happen to be driving my AM today.

The OEM AM-branded battery in my '07 V8V is 680 Amps (that's the only amp-related info on the label, no further breakdown of CCAs/etc).

The significant difference between the Odyssey and OEM battery, and this is the size/weight difference, is that the Odyssey only has a 25-minute reserve, while the OEM has a 170-minute reserve.

Last edited by telum01; 07-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:44 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Correct. The resistor mimics the airbag sensor for the seat.
If you do this you had better get it right so that the airbags will deploy when needed. How would you confirm this? Just by not seeing the airbag system warning light?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:49 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Since when have you ever sat in your car for 10 min using electronics with battery off? Much less 25 min lol.

I have put the PC680 in half a dozen of my street cars and never had a single issue. Lots of people use the PC680 as their daily battery, just because none of the Aston community is doing it, doesn't mean nobody else is haha. I do live in the south though so it never gets below 30 here. If you are up north I suppose sub freezing temps can be an issue. But if you live anywhere in the southern half of the USA you will be totally fine.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:51 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
P.S. OEM DBS seats should have the appropriate airbag plus already installed, hence why I suggested it. If you are going that route, go OEM or keep stock seats.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:56 AM
I have put the PC680 in half a dozen of my street cars and never had a single issue. Lots of people use the PC680 as their daily battery, just because none of the Aston community is doing it, doesn't mean nobody else is haha.
Did you have one in your Vantage?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM
If you do this you had better get it right so that the airbags will deploy when needed. How would you confirm this? Just by not seeing the airbag system warning light?
All the resistor does is tell the system that the airbag is there. Without the resistor, you'll get an airbag warning light.

In the case of an accident, the system will send a signal to the airbag module, which is no longer there, telling it to deploy the airbag, which isn't there. And then your car is wrecked anyway so it doesn't matter.

Since when have you ever sat in your car for 10 min using electronics with battery off? Much less 25 min lol.

I have put the PC680 in half a dozen of my street cars and never had a single issue. Lots of people use the PC680 as their daily battery, just because none of the Aston community is doing it, doesn't mean nobody else is haha. I do live in the south though so it never gets below 30 here. If you are up north I suppose sub freezing temps can be an issue. But if you live anywhere in the southern half of the USA you will be totally fine.
In temps that cold, I usually don't drive my V8V anyway, so it'd be on a trickle charger. I think that'd solve the problem, right?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by telum01
All the resistor does is tell the system that the airbag is there. Without the resistor, you'll get an airbag warning light.
Yes, I understand what the resistor does if it actually fools the system. My question is how do you know that it is fooling the system (and therefore that the airbag will then deploy in an accident). Would you just assume this just because the warning light doesn't come on when you've got the resistor connected? I think I'd want more certainty for something that could literally be the difference between life and death.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Yes, I understand what the resistor does if it actually fools the system. My question is how do you know that it is fooling the system (and therefore that the airbag will then deploy in an accident). Would you just assume this just because the warning light doesn't come on when you've got the resistor connected? I think I'd want more certainty for something that could literally be the difference between life and death.
The system does self test so as long as it thinks it is all there then it will send a signal to the others to deploy if needed. It is a computer not rocket science.

Could there be a issue, possibly but with anything nothing is 100$ even if left alone.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Hood = Totally unnecessary. Aston hood is already aluminum, CF will barely shed any weight. CF hoods are usually purely aesthetic. especially in this case where the stock hood is already so small & light as-is. Bang Per Buck its the worst weight reduction mod you can do (just being honest). Now if you want to do it b/c its "pretty" lol .... totally different story.

Again, Rotating Unsprung mass is the only thing you will legitimately FEEL without being too invasive in the modding. 99% of people have never attempted to drastically reduce rotating unsprung mass and until they do, they waste their time making all these sacrifices in comfort and luxury. I too was one of these individuals years ago, until I started to focus all of my energy on reducing rotating unsprung mass, its not until I starting doing this that I had been wasting my time & money all the prior years. The effects are so much more profound when reducing rotating unsprung mass.

For the record, Lightweight flywheel does not fall into that category. It is rotating, but it is not unsprung mass. Unsprung mass refers to anything that is literally between the springs and the ground (aka, suspension arms, brakes, wheels, tires, half shafts etc). If its rotating and moving up and down with wheel travel then it counts. Flywheels do reduce rotating mass, but at the expense of sensation of torque (which honestly is a big downside for me).

Battery: The best long term solution I have found for battery is the Odyssey PC680. Racers everywhere have been using this bulletproof battery. It is unique in that it is a solid state battery (meaning there is no liquid inside it at all). It weighs only 13lbs and is about $120 (versus lithium ion which is $1500+ or 10x price). Also, the benefit of drycell technology is you can run it down to zero 20 times and charge it right back up and it will not harm long term life of the battery, I had run down my old one countless times (old BMW track car that would sit for months) and as soon as I charged it up it was perfect. Optima batteries are the exact opposite, you run it down once... its a $150 paperweight. The only thing you need with the PC680 is a battery box (there are many available out there that provide very plug & place bolt on solution. The only thing about the PC680 you need to know is it's really only meant for cars you drive regularly. You can go about 2 weeks max before battery runs down. So as long as you drive the car 2x a month or more, you are totally fine (depending on your cars natural idle draw down rate). Also, I had no problem cranking the motor even as low as 30*F so it can handle quite a bit. Should def be no problem for the V8 and I suspect V12 would be fine too if you drive it regularly. Also, I noticed it had so much cranking power that it would actually start my car much faster than stock battery. Instead of taking 3-4 cranks, it would instantly fire on the first crank rotation, pretty impressive.

The PC680 is literally the size of a radio head unit (hard to believe I know)... You will need the brass SAE terminals (extra $12). The cranking amps listed below:

• 17 amp hours
  • Short circuit current over 1800A
  • 25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
  • Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
  • Length 7 1/16"
  • Width 3"
  • Height 6 9/16"
  • Weighs less than 15 lbs

Russ Wiles Battery Box is the perfect OEM solution for battery box as it can be held down by factory tie downs just like the stock battery usually. Its only couple pounds and looks very OEM compared to a lot of ricey aftermarket type battery box/tiedowns

That battery is BIG bang for buck if that is true. Presumably at that price you could also purchase two and wire them up in series and double the CCA rating.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tasteful ways to lighten a V8 Vantage