Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Music on USB Flash Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM
LotusJPS is on a distinguished road
Music on USB Flash Drive

Curious if anyone knows how to setup playlists on a usb flash drive? In the menu there's an option for playlist, though I've never been able to get them to display. Tried various formats, had music in folders by artist, then tried without any folders, but still it won't recognize the playlists. On the bright side the music plays great, and with a 32gb of music it'll play forever.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
HarveyV is on a distinguished road
Not sure about playlists but does your USB stick work all the time or do you often have to unplug/plug it to get it recognized?

Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM
About once a month the display freezes on a song, though the music continues on and can still skip to the next one. Unplugging it cures it as long as it's removed more than 5-10 seconds.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:46 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Did you find any fix for this ? I too tried different playlist formats. None of them show up. I contacted dealer and hope to hear back. Mine is a 2015 DB9 and have been using AMs cable and Apple's old pin to lightning pin adapter without any issues with my iPhone 6S+. I just bought iPhone X and noticed 10-15 seconds of each track are skipped which is very annoying. So trying to use USB. Instead of playlists, individual tracks are displayed. Not sure if this is Apple's iOS 11.2.1 bug or AMs hardware is not supported.

Originally Posted by LotusJPS
Curious if anyone knows how to setup playlists on a usb flash drive? In the menu there's an option for playlist, though I've never been able to get them to display. Tried various formats, had music in folders by artist, then tried without any folders, but still it won't recognize the playlists. On the bright side the music plays great, and with a 32gb of music it'll play forever.

Old 12-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Unfortunately no, never found a solution. I've gone to just putting songs I really like on the flash drive and selecting random play. I also use the Tune2Air bluetooth adapter to stream from my phone. Though I've noticed since IOS 11 there's a delay when selecting next track.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
The car doesn't recognize playlists. What I do is organize my playlists into folders (easy to do with MediaMonkey). So the files are synced to /<Playlist>/<Auto Number> - Title - Artist.

One quirk (that I've experienced with USB drives in all the cars I've tried it with) is that the files are sorted by modified date. To rectify the car seeing the tracks out of order, I use a small program called "DriveSort." Load the USB drive into DriveSort, select the playlist's folder, tell it to sort it, and then save... it basically updates the modified date in the sorted order, so the car will see it how you want it.

The biggest annoyance with this process is adding tracks later on. MediaMonkey won't re-sync files just to update the auto-number, so you'll end up with two tracks that show the same number, and then whatever one comes first alphabetically wins, which won't necessarily be the order you wanted it. If it's a USB 3.0 or 3.1 drive, wiping deleting the playlist folder and re-syncing it is fast.