Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Stolen DBS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:42 PM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Stolen DBS

Found a DBS I really like in FL, but car fax lists it was stolen!

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...AB05D19GE00569

It appears only 200 or so miles were recorded during the "stolen " period. I know this will mean the car will be tough to sell and I would negotiate assertively. should I pursue ? My big question is my emotion overcoming my common sense?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
It seems clean and well taken care of. The price is already good-ish. Yes, just as the theft gives you some jitters, it will have the same effect on the guy you try to sell it to. Or you could keep it for decades...I would.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:58 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by oo7
Found a DBS I really like in FL, but car fax lists it was stolen!

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...AB05D19GE00569

It appears only 200 or so miles were recorded during the "stolen " period. I know this will mean the car will be tough to sell and I would negotiate assertively. should I pursue ? My big question is my emotion overcoming my common sense?
Here's what I saw......"only" 5 days elapsed from the date of sale prior to its theft until it was "recovered" by police...It could have been a real easy 5 days or a very "rough" 5 days. Who knows? I can't lay eyes on vehicle to even comment. The car is only being discounted 270 dollars and I do not think that is enough of a discount based on its theft history. Just me.......Kind of a lot of previous owners. If I was looking for a "keeper" I would prefer fewer, hopefully meticulous, previous owners. Still, this could be a very nice car looking for a good home.......I think the question you need to ask yourself is, "is this something I just want to play with for a while," or is this a more long term affair?......Good luck! At least try to have a pre-purchase inspection done!

Old 10-09-2013, 05:23 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
That is very weird. The car was reported as stolen by owner 2 in California on 1/15/10. Then almost a month later, on 2/10/10, the car is purchased by owner 3 in Montana. The car is then offered for sale, but then on 3/23, the car is reported as recovered from theft? I'm confused. Could it be that this car was repossessed and reported as stolen?

Old 10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
07sportspack will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by karlfranz
That is very weird. The car was reported as stolen by owner 2 in California on 1/15/10. Then almost a month later, on 2/10/10, the car is purchased by owner 3 in Montana. The car is then offered for sale, but then on 3/23, the car is reported as recovered from theft? I'm confused. Could it be that this car was repossessed and reported as stolen?
Registering a valuable car in Montana is often done for the very minimal sale tax. It's fairly easy to do (1) via a corporate registration. I know of an AM owner who purchase in CA reg in Montana while it was delivered to FL. In this case the guy (owner #3??) who reg it in Montana might be in jail.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the feedback. I think if the car checks out it will be ok. I am passing on it as I can't make myself divest anything I have and don't want to spend the money. I also want to drive an automatic. The purpose, for me, was to have more of a cruiser that could be sporty and handle being pushed when I want, a manual takes more attention. The smell of a good deal caused me to forget what I wanted one for.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:54 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by oo7
Thanks for the feedback. I think if the car checks out it will be ok. I am passing on it as I can't make myself divest anything I have and don't want to spend the money. I also want to drive an automatic. The purpose, for me, was to have more of a cruiser that could be sporty and handle being pushed when I want, a manual takes more attention. The smell of a good deal caused me to forget what I wanted one for.
I think you and I are searching for the same car. But after trying out the Virage, I realize that I really prefer the Vantage. Now I just need to find the right one. Turns out the much maligned Sport Shift isn't bad at all (though no automatic).

Actually, why not a Rapide? I loved driving that and the auto transmission was sublime. Seriously, if you haven't tried driving one, you should. I was blown away that I found it more sporting than the Virage, but I did. It's no DBS, but it's a very cool car. I'll have one soon.