Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin Clutch issues - what is normal, what is not, how do they wear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Christiaan0922 is on a distinguished road
Longer clutch pedal

Can you give an idea of how much difference in length between the stock and modified pedals? Seems like a great solution I'm also very interested in! I've never heard these pedals being available anywhere, wondering if you fabricated these yourself??

Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I installed a modified clutch pedal that is longer and allows your heel to remain in contact with the floor board. Makes clutch control much easier when getting close to the top where it starts to engage.

With the regular clutch pedal, your foot ends up in mid air at the point where the clutch begins engagement, and unless your foot has some support (like the floor board) control of the engagement is difficult. Clutches that engage nearer the bottom of the travel are easier to control since your heel is on the floor board at that point.

Any way, that's what I concluded as to why these Astons are more difficult to launch smoothly than your typical manual.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:41 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
See Ultimate Pedals. Here's template.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
brake clutch ht_b 1_5 db9.pdf (31.7 KB, 199 views)
Old 09-20-2019, 05:06 PM
dticktin is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently had my clutch replaced on my 2015 Vantage GT with Sportshift. Now I can hear what appears to be the clutch engaging and disengaging. Is this normal or is there something else I need to look for?

Old 06-20-2020, 08:50 PM
61mga will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by XWCGT
From what you guys are saying, i think the problem is in all of the V8 vantages. its not normal, but a strong clutch and a low 1st gear , all compound the issue. like i said, i can dump the clutch, with and without PSM, (or whatever its called) and its fine. I can really feather the throttle with low rpms and with a slow start, its smooth too. (but you have to be very careful). BUT, a normal start at a stop light, is a little rough. it grabs after a few feet and buck you .(almost stalling the engine).

what was suggested, was to start out in 2nd, and that actually works, but will wear the clutch more. what also was suggested was to avoid 2nd. the 2nd gear shift is rough, but thats not the issue here. its rough due to a large rato change from 1st to 2nd. 4000rpm shift drops to near 2000rpm and with the engine RPM electronics, high mass clutch, the RPM falls slow, so you have to wait and then shift. 2nd - 3rd, and 3rd to 4th and onward, are effortless. As was suggested (and i dont do this) you can go from winding out 1st to 4th without issues and avoid shifting all together, but keep in mind, thats a huge RPM drop and it can wear out the 4th gear synchro if you are not waiting for the RPM to drop for a clean meash. it will feel clean, because the synchros are now slowing the engine down.
2nd is a tad too tall for all level stop and starts, but if rolling, taking off in 2nd is doable. remember reverse is somewhere between 2nd and 1st ratio wise and is very smooth. that should have been 1st gear ratio (my opinion 8:1 total ratio, is a perfect 1st gear ratio , and 10:1 gets a little tough for smooth starts with a racing type clutch , or one that is grabby like the AM)

same for downshifts. a blip of the throttle is good to keep down synchro wear. otherwise, the raise of rpm to match in downshifts, is done only by the synchros and eventually , they will wear out. and give notchy shifting in about 20 to 50k miles on the drivetrain.

so it sounds like everyone is having this issue, and my clutch is not glazed or coming apart. Ill have to deal with it.
if shifting can be "...rough due to a large ratio change from 1st to 2nd..." why is it that a shift from 1st to 3rd (an even larger difference) is less problematic and often recommended, at least on this forum, to avoid the roughness? i'm willing to be educated...

Old 06-22-2020, 06:18 PM
SLVRon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner

With the regular clutch pedal, your foot ends up in mid air at the point where the clutch begins engagement, and unless your foot has some support (like the floor board) control of the engagement is difficult.
I don't have this issue with my 07 V8V. You may need to get some bigger feet

Old 07-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Ganz is an unknown quantity at this point
After reading al the threads on clutch issues, I still have two questions on clutch wear:
These questions pertain to an ASM and not a manual, and I always use the paddle shifters.
1. Does the maximum clutch wear happen when you are pulling away in 1st gear and not so much when you are on the move and shifting between other gears?
2. Does it make any difference if you are in first or in neutral when idling at traffic lights?

Old 07-15-2020, 02:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ganz
After reading al the threads on clutch issues, I still have two questions on clutch wear:
These questions pertain to an ASM and not a manual, and I always use the paddle shifters.
1. Does the maximum clutch wear happen when you are pulling away in 1st gear and not so much when you are on the move and shifting between other gears?

High gear, basically at and above 1:1 gear ratios will cause the most wear. Lower gears like 1st, 2nd..etc will put some wear on the engagement or when slipping to start the roll, but not as much in comparison to higher gears that are above 1:1 ratio. It's why most cars with a clutch on the way out will drive fine in 1st/2nd/3rd/ and start to notice slippage in 4th/5th/6th..etc.

2. Does it make any difference if you are in first or in neutral when idling at traffic lights?

Not really, the clutch is still going to be disengaged in neutral because the ASM/TCU doesn't know when your going to command a gear to take off, so clutch is held disengaged. By selecting neutral on the 6-speed, there's an actual gear position for N, it's not like on a manual shift where-as you just leave it out of gear horizontally on H. The neutral gear position is right below reverse gear slot. So every time you shift to neutral on the 6-speed, the ASM commands neutral gear slot.
The 7-speed is little different, the neutral gear slot was used to apply 1st gear, which added room for the 7th driven gear slot. The neutral position is like an actual manual trans and just stays on the horizontal axis of H.

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Last edited by Irish07@VelocityAP; 07-15-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: changed html code
Old 07-15-2020, 02:57 PM
Ganz is an unknown quantity at this point
@Irish07@VelocityAP Thank you for the clarifications Chris. Your time and effort is much appreciated.

1. I asked question 1 above since in this video from BamfordRose (1' 25" mark), they say the most wear happens as you are pulling away and not when on the go, and hence I got confused.

2. And regarding 2, when I am using the paddle shifters, you are saying it makes no difference when idling, if I leave it in 1st , instead of shifting to N by pulling both the paddles together?

Cheers!

Old 07-15-2020, 06:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ganz
@Irish07@VelocityAP Thank you for the clarifications Chris. Your time and effort is much appreciated.

1. I asked question 1 above since in this video from BamfordRose (1' 25" mark), they say the most wear happens as you are pulling away and not when on the go, and hence I got confused.

2. And regarding 2, when I am using the paddle shifters, you are saying it makes no difference when idling, if I leave it in 1st , instead of shifting to N by pulling both the paddles together?

Cheers!
Question 1: Definitely sure more wear is done on the clutch at higher gear ratio's than a regular take off from a dig or low ratio gear shifts. Now if you sit there slipping the clutch or using the clutch to hold the car on an incline like you can on a torque converter automatic style transmission - or - using launch control as your go to from dead start...that would be a whole different answer.

Question 2: Starting to 2nd guess myself but recall it not engaging the clutch when in neutral gear position while on brakes. If my memory is correct, then wouldn't make a difference.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-16-2020, 06:43 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
FWIW I pull both paddles back when at a light or stopping longer than 15 sec or so.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:31 AM
Ashman_E has a spectacular aura aboutAshman_E has a spectacular aura about
Can someone help me understand why being in Neutral at a stop is advantageous from a clutch perspective?

It seems to me that clutch wear happens when the clutch speed and the engine speed are not matched. This should only happen when pushing the clutch pedal in (as the engine maintains speed and the clutch starts to slip and slow) or letting it out (as the engine maintains speed and the clutch slips as it starts to get up to the engine speed).

When you're sitting at a stop, and you have the pedal pushed in, the clutch is disengaged from the engine, so there shouldn't be any wear at all, regardless of what gear you're in, correct?

I can maybe see shifting into neutral to coast down to a stop from driving, therefore skipping over all of the gear downshifts and associated clutch engagements/disengagements. But just shifting into Neutral once stopped seems fairly pointless to me as far as clutch wear goes.

Am I missing something?

Old 07-17-2020, 08:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Ashman_E
Can someone help me understand why being in Neutral at a stop is advantageous from a clutch perspective?

It seems to me that clutch wear happens when the clutch speed and the engine speed are not matched. This should only happen when pushing the clutch pedal in (as the engine maintains speed and the clutch starts to slip and slow) or letting it out (as the engine maintains speed and the clutch slips as it starts to get up to the engine speed).

When you're sitting at a stop, and you have the pedal pushed in, the clutch is disengaged from the engine, so there shouldn't be any wear at all, regardless of what gear you're in, correct?

I can maybe see shifting into neutral to coast down to a stop from driving, therefore skipping over all of the gear downshifts and associated clutch engagements/disengagements. But just shifting into Neutral once stopped seems fairly pointless to me as far as clutch wear goes.

Am I missing something?
If it was a manual trans, the benefit would be to save the lifespan of the slave cylinder..has nothing to do with the clutch. If the clutch was touching while disengaged at a stop, would be a sticking clutch(worn out?) or warped flywheel or faulty slave. Nonetheless, it’s to try and save the slave cylinder.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 07-17-2020, 09:18 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Irish07@VelocityAP
If it was a manual trans, the benefit would be to save the lifespan of the slave cylinder..has nothing to do with the clutch. If the clutch was touching while disengaged at a stop, would be a sticking clutch(worn out?) or warped flywheel or faulty slave. Nonetheless, it’s to try and save the slave cylinder.
this is why I do it...😊

Old 07-17-2020, 09:34 AM
Ashman_E has a spectacular aura aboutAshman_E has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Irish07@VelocityAP
OK. This I understand. Thank you.

I get the impression though, that some people are confused about the difference between what causes clutch wear and what causes slave cylinder wear.

I seem to hear about people saying that they're "saving their clutch" by putting their cars in neutral at stops. I guess I'm not crazy in thinking that they're slightly misguided. Thanks again.

Old 07-17-2020, 10:12 AM
61mga will become famous soon enough
i do it to save my leg... on my motorcycle i do it to save my hand.

in both cases the mainshaft of the transmission will be turning if the clutch is engaged and the transmission is in neutral, so some may claim it saves the mainshaft bearings, and technically it's true, at least on the manual transmissions i have assembled/disassembled. but i would think that things like synchronizers would wear out more often than those bearings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin Clutch issues - what is normal, what is not, how do they wear?